Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a bit of a wait today, I finally have the GTI... and it鈥檚 already made me laugh out loud a few times on the drive back and around on some lanes.
I鈥檓 looking forward to many years of happy motoring! 馃憤馃徎

A neighbour is kindly letting me park on their drive this week until I get a carport built (I have a mahoooosive oak tree in my front garden which can kill a car with falling crud and acorns!)

Registered
Congratulatios ! Another 5-door white / black.
Ace !

Registered
Nice, enjoy...still loving our 5 door after 15 months. Job #1 experiment with the tyre pressures as makes a huge difference to ride comfort

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I鈥檒l have a play with the tyre pressures tomorrow. 馃憤馃徎

Registered
VERY NICE, great plate too ! Enjoy putting some miles on it .................馃榿馃殫

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
VERY NICE, great plate too ! Enjoy putting some miles on it .................馃榿馃殫
Cheers. 馃憤馃徎

The plate has been with me for years, moving from Lotus to Lotus to 911 to BMW to... Up! It鈥檚 certainly the lowest power car it鈥檚 ever sat on. And I love it all the more for that.

Registered
Lovely ! Enjoy (y)

Registered
Congrats ! I also picked up my new GTI today, high miler compared you yours (10!). I asked the dealer to not valet the car and they even left the protective wraps on, it was great fun unpealing it all. I had a similar experience in driving mine, have done 100 miles already today it is so much fun :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats ! I also picked up my new GTI today, high miler compared you yours (10!). I asked the dealer to not valet the car and they even left the protective wraps on, it was great fun unpealing it all. I had a similar experience in driving mine, have done 100 miles already today it is so much fun :)
Wow! Congrats - new car buddies. 馃馃殬馃殬馃憤馃徎

Registered
Looks real nice in White with the black roof 馃憤.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Sooo... what the heck are all the ticking and clinking noises I鈥檓 hearing every now and then? It鈥檚 sounding like seat belts are clinking against the side of the car when I drive, but also a similar noise from the boot.

Are these normal?!

Registered
No, not normal. These cars are well screwed-together...

What's in the boot? Maybe a loose tyre inflater kit or the spare wheel and tools need more firm clamping? Or maybe a previously irritating passenger has got themselves untied and is kicking about in the boot?

Dunno about the ticking in the interior... Sometimes you get noises if the windows are not quite 100% up. Also sticky seals can creak.... It's always hard to be sure where a noise is coming from!

Registered
Great Colour combo with the White & Black Roof. Love the Private plate as well.

I'm still hooked on the synthetic V6 engine sound 馃槏

Just reduced my tyre pressures to 32 Front & 30 Rear. Rides so much nicer 馃帀

Registered
A spare wheel is not standard so make sure there are no lose tools in the wheel well. Also check under the bonnet. I once collected an MG and when i got home found a screwdriver on top of the engine left there by the mechanic from the so called PDI. How it did not fall off is beyond me.
You have to purchase a spare wheel if you want one. I bought a 14" space saver for only 拢30. The only problem is you have to fit it in the boot valve side down and secure it with the lock nut. That means you have to unscrew the nut and turn the wheel over each time you want to check the air pressure. I am going to try just leaving it valve side up without the clamp and perhaps stuffing in a folded up towel in the gap to stop any movement. It will be then be easier to check the air pressure.If it moves around i will have to fit it the correct way again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I seem to have got to the bottom of the noises.

Because I have the Beats system, the space for the spare tyre is taken and the jack was placed loose in the boot. The jack was clincking inside of the case itself. I wedged it against the back of the rear seats with the supaguard kit provided and viola! no more noise from the boot.

Which left the inside... it is the passenger seat belt buckle banging against the black plastic trim inside of the car. A quick fix has been to keep the passenger seatbelt buckled when I drive and again 鈥榲oila! no noise. It seems (and looks) a bit odd to drive everywhere with the passenger seat buckled up though. Is there a known / proven fix for stopping the buckling from click-clacking away without having to do the seatbelt up?

Registered
Mine was something similar, I too have the Beats subwoofer, so the jack is homeless. The wheel brace was in the jack bag tap, tap, tap, etc鈥 I鈥檝e wrapped it in microfibre cloths and stuck it down the side of the subwoofer, the jack I stuck in the arm of a thick old work coat and then wrapped the rest of the coat around that which stops it moving around, takes up some space in the under false floor area.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Mine was something similar, I too have the Beats subwoofer, so the jack is homeless. The wheel brace was in the jack bag tap, tap, tap, etc鈥 I鈥檝e wrapped it in microfibre cloths and stuck it down the side of the subwoofer, the jack I stuck in the arm of a thick old work coat and then wrapped the rest of the coat around that which stops it moving around, takes up some space in the under false floor area.
Cheers for confirming for me. What did you do about the clinking passenger seat belt buckle? Or is that not a problem in your car?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts