Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not heard that in this car, mine is a 3 door though which might make a difference.
My last car did that and many other things it wasn’t supposed too, often there was a cacophony of noise, so many I gave up trying to cure them, Vauxhall/Opel don’t have the word ‘quality’ in their vocabulary it would seem however the phrase ‘that’ll do’ is widely used.
My mk6 Golf had the odd creak and rattle but only after being about 4/5 years old, they seemed to come and go with certain climatic conditions. Looking at that car closely VW had put a **** of an effort into making it rattle and irritation free. It was a quality product… well until they did the emissions update on mine… the perfect car made imperfect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get the front passenger belt tapping the B pillar trim too, hadn't thought to just plug the belt in to stop it despite that being the obvious thing to do!

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the mk6 Golf I found they added the soft fuzzy part of Velcro to the surface of something that could make noise like the seatbelt socket on the seat, I’m not suggesting you do that to the belt but could a strip of that be applied to the passenger pillar where the buckle touches, it is black so probably only you would know it’s there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was thinking about applying Velcro to the belt buckle and to the pilar, so that it is held in place when not in use.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cheers for confirming for me. What did you do about the clinking passenger seat belt buckle? Or is that not a problem in your car?
On ours if you twist the buckle away from the seat towards the door it “ wedges” between the seat and pillar, no longer hangs so freely and stops the rattle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Had a funny moment today - the seal of approval from my daughter.

The usual comments from the back from my daughter in the 996 Turbo or BMW have been: ‘slow down Daddy!’ Or ‘Too loud Daddy!’

Today, I had to explain that rather than pops and bangs we’ve got a growl now. She told me to make it growl, so we went a bit faster for a few bends, and she was laughing out loud, saying ‘go faster Daddy!’

Yep, certainly looks like it has her seal of approval.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
On ours if you twist the buckle away from the seat towards the door it “ wedges” between the seat and pillar, no longer hangs so freely and stops the rattle
I’ve now tried this and it works a treat. Thank you! Hasn’t moved or made a noise since.

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
I get the front passenger belt tapping the B pillar trim too, hadn't thought to just plug the belt in to stop it despite that being the obvious thing to do!
Wind deflectors stop this happening! The whistling and tapping noise with the windows open is infuriating, but since fitting wind deflectors, it's stopped!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have enjoyed reading this post and the GTi looks great in white....and black and red and silver....:)

I am thinking of one for myself as it looks like the ideal everyday car so reading with interest.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, hopefully my GTI will soon be able to be parked on the drive. The carport is almost complete - should be finished today with the roofer coming on Monday.

Acorn season has arrived and I feel bad for the carpenter working on the carport, whenever we hear an involuntary ‘owww!’, as another acorn falls on his head!

A whole lot of effort, but worth it to protect the car. You should have seen what the acorns and tree sap did to the last one!! 🥺

·
Registered
487 Posts
Fantastic looking car port!
Im considering one my self even though I don’t have an acorn problem !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Fantastic looking car port!
Im considering one my self even though I don’t have an acorn problem !
I would certainly recommend the carpenter who did ours. He’s all finished now - backboards and guttering in place. Now waiting on the roofer...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would certainly recommend the carpenter who did ours. He’s all finished now - backboards and guttering in place. Now waiting on the roofer...
Yes it look like a quality job.
If you don’t mind me asking how much was it?
What sort of roof are you having?
I’m only looking for a small one at end of my drive that goes into the garden.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The cars are good.
The carpenter is good (previous post).
The wall with "£" signs painted on, but which don't quite tessellate, I like a bit less, but each to his/her own! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Yes it look like a quality job.
If you don’t mind me asking how much was it?
What sort of roof are you having?
I’m only looking for a small one at end of my drive that goes into the garden.
Hi Sean66, the carpenter cost was a tad over £2,500 - which I don’t think is bad at all for a bespoke and substantial double car port with guttering etc.

The roof will be a mineral-look felt roof. Nothing flash - just a simple capping at the front and around. I’ll post a picture when it’s done if you want. The sad thing is the price of felt is high at the moment, so that’s going to be a hefty £1,100 to do! 🥺

For a single carport you could easily half both those costs, and some, because you wouldn’t be needing as much, nor such hefty timbers as I did, to span the gap.

Cars now in place:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes post another pic when it’s all done . Looks fantastic .
Ideal place for any car to live.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I long for the patina associated with acorns and London pigeon excrement. Y'all worrying too much

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I long for the patina associated with acorns and London pigeon excrement. Y'all worrying too much
Hmmm. I’d say you might change your view if you were subjected to it on a daily basis.

I haven’t washed my wife’s car since bringing it under the carport, but it was washed three days ago. This is the sap build up, and see how the pigeon poo has stripped the paint on the bonnet. It is difficult to see because of all the crud from the tree etc. but you might also be able to make out some of the dents on the roof caused by the acorns. I would say the car has about 300 dents in all, covering bonnet, roof and boot!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts