Up Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just bought a used 3 door 2020 GTi in White! Always loved the UP!, I have one in Australia, just a base model but perfect for OZ and the draconian speed limits that are hugely enforced over here! I also bought my son one for his first car... which he wrote off rolling over and through a hedge only 4 months later! But fair play, the insurance paid out so well he actually upgraded to a 'High UP!' for the same money. He has not rolled it!

I am picking up the car in 3 weeks and of course, want to mod it! Reading on here, I will go for the JBS re-map plus MIltek road spec exhaust and some lowering coil-overs. It's still under warrantee but life is too short to wait 2 years just in case...!

A couple of quick questions of course...

1: Read about the modding insurance thread. What insurance companies do we know are 'ok' with the 'Stage 1 JBS tune' and lowering springs/dampers?

2: Latest thoughts about what lowering spring/damper set-up is optimum?

3: How many 'older' owners are on here... I am 63! (and remember clearly the Mk1 Golf GTI!)

Really excited about the car... I have owned too many cars in my years, including lots of Lotus! Spent too much time and $$ on track days and modding however!

I'll post some photos when I collect.

Cheers,

Pete :>)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi and welcome. In the same order:
1. I am with Admiral, bought through comparethemarket. Premium increase vs non-modded with Admiral was about 15% IIRC for lowering, remap and change of wheels. Paying £220 a year in sleepy Devon, was a ridiculous £175 last year as a new customer.
2. Everyone who has bought Eibach Pro Street seems to love them and they are height adjustable. Seem to be back in stock on Autodoc sporadically, at good price. Others know more than I do about other set-ups;
3. I'm 52, and I suspect that's about the average age of owners here.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Welcome, another 60+ guy !
I'm 68 and with nearly 20 years of rallying and racing behind me in the mid seventies to mid 90's. I've built and helped build comp cars for others ever since, and have had lots of more powerful tools (Lotus, 289 Cobra Rep, Alfa's, early 911's etc) Still have an Elan S3 and a 2 litre Alfa 105 Ti Super saloon Rep.
I'm on my second Gti, daughter has one too. Had Mk's 1 to 4 Golf Gti's in the past, but this is the best fun I've had in years.
You'll enjoy it. I'm keeping my current one stock maybe with the exception of a pair of B4 Bilsteins at the rear, as the post facelift rear shocks appear to be cheaply made.
(My 2019 Gti rears were fine).
If you can drive a bit, then it's amazing what this little thing can do to upset the more powerful motors.
Enjoy !

Reactions: Pete757 and AT999
1 - 3 of 3 Posts