Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The torque is identical between the two engines which presumably means driving around at 2k rpm or even 3k rpm should feel no different between the engines. Furthermore the max power spikes from the 75PS engine whereas from the 60PS engine it occurs over a rev range. So, given all that, has anyone compared the performance of the two engines and drawn any conclusion over whether there is any tangible difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Because of the power and torque characteristics on paper I wasn't expecting to see a difference but from experience so far the difference under most conditions is quite noticeable. The 75 is quite a nippy little car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
My Lupo only had 60bhp, driving up a steep incline with a couple of passengers and the air con on was a struggle so I normally shut the air off under those conditions. In my 75bhp up! I no longer turn off the air con. The extra 15bhp wont snap your neck but it's just enough to make life a little easier for you and your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
I used to have a 45hp fiat uno. It was always willing car and enjoyable to drive. The little 75 I have is strange. Sometimes it just pootles along and other times it seems to be trying to be a little racer. Still not run in.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
The torque figures between the 60 and 75 are identical the 75 just has more power higher up the rev range and give max power 200rpm higher. I would say it is the ECU that has been adjusted as the gearbox ratios are identical for both engines and no other mechanical changes I can find.

The 75 will feel nippy off the mark and when you make full use of the rev range, but I have been impressed with how lively even the 60ps feels. Has it on the motorway at the weekend 4 up and never felt out of it's depth although kept the speed around 65-70mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I haven't been over 4500 rpm yet but still find the 75 more nippy in spite of the graphs. Since taking delivery I had a 60 for the day while my winter boots were being fitted and made a point of comparing in similar circumstances. Although the extra 15 Bhp is achieved at 6200 there will be gains at lower revs. As the earlier post said it just drives a little easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I have both engines. I find the 75 more nippy and if you open and drive with the a/c you feel the difference.

Edited by: kbntinos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
jezyg said:
but I have been impressed with how lively even the 60ps feels. Has it on the motorway at the weekend 4 up and never felt out of it's depth although kept the speed around 65-70mph.
Yup. I'm impressed with mine, there's enough chug for daily commutes and motorways, but not so much as to lose your licence. I'd love to know what the real 0-60mph times are, as they can't be realistic. It has so much more chug than my old Ford Ka (old model) which had almost the same 0-60mph figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Leif said:
Itzben said:
No but I'm up for a drag race haha
Do we have to dress up for the race? I think I'll just wear my normal clothes thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
jezyg said:
The torque figures between the 60 and 75 are identical the 75 just has more power higher up the rev range and give max power 200rpm higher. I would say it is the ECU that has been adjusted as the gearbox ratios are identical for both engines and no other mechanical changes I can find.
I was wondering how it is possible that the two engines have different power if the torque figures are the same, the gearbox ratios are identical for both engines and there are no other mechanical changes.
According to my knowledge of physics
power = torque x rpm
so in theory both engines should have the same power and the same power is transferred to the wheels with the same mechanical construct, so there should be no difference between the acceleration of the two engines. Are we not victims of a marketing scam?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
uphu said:
jezyg said:
The torque figures between the 60 and 75 are identical the 75 just has more power higher up the rev range and give max power 200rpm higher. I would say it is the ECU that has been adjusted as the gearbox ratios are identical for both engines and no other mechanical changes I can find.
I was wondering how it is possible that the two engines have different power if the torque figures are the same, the gearbox ratios are identical for both engines and there are no other mechanical changes.
According to my knowledge of physics
power = torque x rpm
so in theory both engines should have the same power and the same power is transferred to the wheels with the same mechanical construct, so there should be no difference between the acceleration of the two engines. Are we not victims of a marketing scam?

The ECU just needs a different fuel map and if you look that the full 75ps arrives 200rpm higher than the 60ps then it will be the engine mapping that has been adjusted. Will be interesting to see what the engines will make when one of the tuning companies REVO, AMD or Upsolute get when they eventually do a remap for the Up!, Mii and Citigo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
I took my 75 out for a run today. now up to 500 miles. for some reason thecar seems to know what I want and later in the day she was purring along at 70. I quite like this car. With elbow playing, there's hardly any car noise at all. (Iexaggeratea bit here)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
jezyg said:
the engine mapping that has been adjusted.
The 'engine mapping' controls the engine (e.g. the torque at a given rpm), but both engines have the same torque at the same rpm, so according to physics there should be no difference in the power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
uphu said:
both engines have the same torque at the same rpm
I must correct myself, because the engines have these data:

60
kW/rpm 44/5 000""“6 000
Nm/rpm 95/3 000""“4 300

75
kW/rpm 55/6 200
Nm/rpm 95/3 000""“4 300

So the torque is the same in the 3000""“4300 rpm range but we do not know the torque above 4300 rpm. Probably the 75 engine has more torque above 4300 rpm than the 60 engine.

Conclusion: the power difference should appear above 4300 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah-ha! So as I tend to change gear at around 3k rpm, I would never notice the difference. The only remaining issue is what the rpm at 70 mph in 5th is? Anyone know?
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top