Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been genuinely interested in going in for the Advanced Driving test for a while now, and getting the Blue Trainer has re-enforced that thought somewhat, as it is already helping me to improve my MPG, for example.

I was just wondering how the Blue Trainer fits in with the way of driving for an Advanced Driving test?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did the IAM test a few years ago and then went on to qualify as an IAM observer. Having been 'bitten by the bug' I then did the RoSPA advanced driving test (got gold) and then the IAM Special Assessment.
The method of driving taught is the same as that used by police Class 1 drivers (and many of the examiners are police class 1) so you learn many of the elements of pursuit driving (but without breaking the speed limit, of course).

It definitely improves your response to hazards and develops a smooth, planned driving technique which does help improve economy. However, and contrary to the Blue Trainer, they also encourage higher speeds in gears for extra response and control (e.g. no higher than 3rd in a 30 limit), so it may not always be the most economical way of driving.

Definitely a lot of fun, though :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes - passed IAM test in 1971 in a little MG midget with a 1275 engine. Had difficulty fitting the rather large off-duty police instructor who was my examiner that day into the passenger seat. Still tend to do constant velocity gear changes as taught to the police then. Only made one reference to an error where I misread the road - using the lining up the verges with a point on the bonnet as in the Roadcraft Manual - looked as if the narrow road was opening up as we went round a bend - it wasn't - it got tighter as we passed a gate into a field. Only time I ever had tyre squeal from any car. He just quietly said 'my side is round'. Later said that that section of road caught 90% out, even the police crews.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts