Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a former Japanese Turbo owner, I’ve always had an aftermarket boost gauges. Just wondered if anyone had one fitted to a GTi or TSi? If so what did you go for and where did you mount it?
Cheers

·
Registered
603 Posts
Your better off without one, as the slightest air leak from the vacuumed pipes leading to the gauge, will cause it give misleading readings.
My Abarth had the silly thing sitting right on top of the dashboard, and it was not the most reliable instrument.

If you can guarantee your rubber vacuumed pipes will remain totally leak free, then by all means fit one, but I recon VW would have fitted one, if the car needed it.

Their not costly things to install, but do I miss not seeing that tiny needle sweeping back and frow , NO.

Save your sheckles , and get the Forge Dump-valve installation.
It's a custom made installation, made to fit the Gti, and by what I've seen on similar cars, sounds epic.

Maybe not a bargain at £215, but it's magnificent quality, and it's been fully developed for our tiny TSi engine.

If you do not have the TSi, then consider the boost gauge, but it's not worth while.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already have the forge dump valve and intake on the list, I will be fitting a boost gauge as I like to keep an eye on the boost, especially once it’s been remapped. Old habits I guess... I’m more interested in what gauge ppl have gone for and where they have located it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
but I recon VW would have fitted one, if the car needed it.
What an entirely subjective heap of rabbit droppings!! :( <3

Are you saying the same reasoning could be used for everything not making the up GTI a 400hp 4wd monster.. The answer is obviously NO!

All the mods people do to the Up! GTI to make it "better" or more personal to them are obviously because VW did not include the mods from factory.

A boost guage can be nice when you start fidling with say, forge intake & boost pipe / BOV.
To keep check on boost leaks and spikes :)

As for what guage, buy a VDO one or one from the bigger japanese tuning brands.
Or get an industrial guage from some other application entirely :)

What guages have you looked at so far?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What an entirely subjective heap of rabbit droppings!! :( <3

Are you saying the same reasoning could be used for everything not making the up GTI a 400hp 4wd monster.. The answer is obviously NO!

All the mods people do to the Up! GTI to make it "better" or more personal to them are obviously because VW did not include the mods from factory.

A boost guage can be nice when you start fidling with say, forge intake & boost pipe / BOV.
To keep check on boost leaks and spikes :)

As for what guage, buy a VDO one or one from the bigger japanese tuning brands.
Or get an industrial guage from some other application entirely :)

What guages have you looked at so far?
Just some of the digital ones like this:
https://www.littledevilgauges.co.uk/evo-peak-series-52mm/pro-sport-60mm-psi-evo-digital-boost-gauge-kkbae-5n8ma

I like the look of the Greddy Sirius Vision bit might be a bit pricey to get past the mrs lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
there is probably data for manifold air pressure through the ODB port too. If you cant be bothered running to many wires? :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
there is probably data for manifold air pressure through the ODB port too. If you cant be bothered running to many wires? :)
Andriod phone, torque app, obd bluetooth dongle. Less than £10 and all the info you could ever want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts