Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of agonising I finally took the plunge last week and ordered my new Up 4 seater. It's a red High Up with 16" triangle alloys, red dash pad, beige/grey/salsa red dots seats and sound plus pack. Thanks to all the forum contributors whose posts helped me make these choices. With a lead time of 8 to 10 weeks I can hardly wait!

I'm downsizing from a 3 year old 7-seater Merc E220 CDI estate. Especially as my kids have got older, I increasingly felt that driving a big car for my 30 minute commute to work just doesn't make sense any more. Better have the cash in hand than it sitting in a work car park idle all day.

I was happy with my test drive. Yeah the 3 cylinder engine does vibrate somewhat but overall it drives well and looks so damned cute.

Am I mad downsizing so radically? Will I regret the loss of space and refinement by going for a car exactly half the weight of my Merc?

I'm still worried at some of the comments about noise (hence the extra 4 speakers with the sound plus pack). Worse case, I will look at extra sound deadening as suggested by some.

Any consoling comments or suggestions welcome! Anyone else here downsized too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've downsized from a Mini. Well in the sense the Up! Has a shorter nose and costs 1000s less for a car just as nippy and capable...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, i downsized my last two cars. Had a polo 1.2match before the up. I love the up. Better ride than the polo and cheaper to run. I dont regret it. Before the polo a ran an LS400 4.0 v8. Huge beautiful car. I loved my time with it but dont regret the downsizing. So much more money in my pocket!!!. The up as some downsides but more than made up for by all the advantages....

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I came from a c-class estate and a GL 7 seater !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not as dramatic but I downsized from a Volvo C70. Yes occasionally I miss being able to drop the roof but that's about it. You'll be just fine - they do a pretty good impression of a bigger car from the inside anyway! :)
Edited by: TurboTomato

·
Registered
540 Posts
I 'downsized' from an Alfa Mito 155tb.

I miss the power of the Alfa but I don't miss the costs for fuel or repairs (which were often!).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Downsized from a 120d. Don't regret it at all. The up is great on any road and handles my mainly motorway commute with ease. Brilliant brilliant little car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Traded in a Mazda CX-7 4x4. Miss the elevated driving position but the up! certainly saves me money. Almost as manoeuvrable as the Brabus Smart I had as well

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Went from 2.5 BMW 5 series to 2.0 BMW 1 series both highly specified. To Up! High Up and I have no regrets. Quite happy to switch on my lights and wipers when needed and spend far less money. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Down sized from a Honda Insight. No regrets after a month and the Up has a spare wheel. The insight had a blow out and the gunk was useless. 3 hour delay including recovery from the A34 and £120 for a mobile tyre fitter to come with a replacement tyre.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great to hear all your downsizing stories and very reassured that you all love your Up and don't regret the move.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm sure you will be very pleased with your Up! when it arrives. You have chosen a good specification and bet you will be delighted.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Indeed, only regret new owners have is that they waited so long to get one !

·
Registered
430 Posts
I upsized from a Honda C90, seriously it was my regular commute vehicle until we invested in the UP as a 2nd car. My only regret was not keeping the Honda too as I've since seen the price of them rocket on eBay and mine was a gem, a 89 model with no rust and only 8000 miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, had a Scirocco 2.0T, I was putting on too many miles on slow roads and traffic to justify having a nice engine -I rarely have people in the back of my car, and don't fill the boot with rubbish, so didn't really need much space andwent for the Up! as it seemed to drive nicely if you didn't want it to go quickly, and have plenty of toys on it.
Shame you couldn't get some nice leather seats, but I am happy with it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agree with you on leather seats Ed. My last 3 cars had them and I always regarded it as a must-have option. However my red High Up will have beige/grey salsa seats which I think will look super with the red dash pad.

My biggest regret is not having cruise control but hey I will get over that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts