Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always put 95 RON in my Up!, but was wondering yesterday while filling up, whether 98 might give me some extra power. Lord knows, it needs it

·
Registered
523 Posts
I put 4-5 tanks on the trot of the tesco 99 I can honestly say couldn't tell any difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you need power, you're driving the wrong car!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silverado said:

Nah, it's a great little car, but how many of us would say no to a dash-mounted switch that gave an extra 50hp from time to time

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supermegamonkee said:
I put 4-5 tanks on the trot of the tesco 99 I can honestly say couldn't tell any difference.

OK, I suspected as much. thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have always used Shell V-power fuel. I haven't run the Up on anything else.
Previous car was a Ford KA - and it did feel as if it gave greater power [or maybe that was my imagination?]
However it did give better mpg - and that meant it did not actually cost me extra overall. Garage also said that the engine ran cleaner - they usually tried to sell you an injector clean every service at a cost of £40 - but never needed that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
UpMan said:
Silverado said:

Nah, it's a great little car, but how many of us would say no to a dash-mounted switch that gave an extra 50hp from time to time
Maybe...but hopefully the GT will make an appearance soon, and ease your craving

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I use the tesco stuff for a few tanks then return to normal stuff and cant tell a difference, I pretend I do but nah and makes me think am I just buying the normal fuel at a higher price cause how can I prove other wise? I'm just a joiner not a fuel expert haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
I read a write up on this and the 97-99RON fuel is just designed to fire slightly later and only really sports engines are designed to utilise this. Putting this in our little Up!'s will only make your wallet go quicker and make no difference to the car's power. The same write up did say that better fuel economy was made by using BP or Shell fuel instead of supermarket's but I am not sure if I believe this, as far as I'm aware the supermarkets get their fuel from the same depots

·
Registered
430 Posts
Higher octane fuel will not give any noticeable advantage in terms of power, I don't even notice an I improvement in mpg either, however, I always try to use shell v power or other premium fuels as they won't do any harm and also contain additives designed to keep your engine and injectors nice and clean and reduce carbon build up too as the fuel burns cleaner. If you intend changing your UP after 3 or 4 years then put the cheapest fuel in it, but for longevity I personally would not use supermarket fuels as I will keep the car long term.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Haven't noticed a great deal of difference in the up, but when I ran a diesel, shell V-power gave me far better mpg. Not as important when you run a new car that is designed to use e10 petrol (creeping onto forecourts now)10% ethanol. But for older cars e10 will ruin engine seals, fuel lines etc. Super unleaded is far less likely to contain ethanol.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In my case, higher octane petrol has made a huge improvement!

Before the last two fill-ups, I'd used exclusively 95 RON, from Esso, BP, Total, Tesco & Morrisons. The engine was inclined to what sounded to me<mytubeelement =""bundle":"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","":"","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_suped_on_your_browser":"No notification style suped on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_suped":"Not Suped","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for__site":"Click to enable for site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock or similar extension is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null,"prefs":"desktopNotification":true,"Notification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true" ="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement =""loadBundle":true" ="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement> like pinking a lot of the time. And though it always sounded fine at motorway speeds, on returning on slower roads it would sound rougher in general than before the fast stretch.

The last two fill-ups have been 99 RON Tesco Momentum99, then 97 RON BP Ultimate. It's like a different car! Now at low revs the engine makes that healthy rorty sound everyone else talks about with no hint of pinking; and it makes no difference whether the engine is cold or has just done a fast run.

I don't know about an overall difference in power, but I'm more willing to put my foot down now that it sounds so much healthier when I do. My fuel consumption has actually worsened a little with the higher octane ""“ possibly because of this now feeling freer with my right foot.

When the car was new, I noticed after a couple of journeys that it had been supplied with the oil overfilled (by maybe 7 mm, from memory). As soon as I discovered this, I syphoned out the excess (less than a pint), but maybe the damage had already been done. The manual says that overfilling is a Very Bad Thing ("Do not start the engine"). In particular, I understand that it can lead to oil coating the oxygen sensors in the exhaust system ""“ maybe they are now misleading the ECU, causing pinking unless counteracted by fuel with sufficiently high octane (which by definition inhibits pre-ignition=pinking)?

Or maybe it's just the different lubricant and other additives in the premium fuel? Or sheer coincidence""¦

·
Registered
296 Posts
pinking - I can remember a few years back a friend being told not to run his Ford Mondeo { I think it was} on supermarket fuel as it led to pinking. He was told that it was model specific - some just do not like fuel without all the additives.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You aren't confusing 'pinking' with the oft discussed gear cluster rattle and roll over that is a characteristic of this car especially in 4th and 5th gear due to minimal sound deadening are you?

·
Registered
171 Posts
dmn100 said:
You aren't confusing 'pinking' with the oft discussed gear cluster rattle and roll over that is a characteristic of this car especially in 4th and 5th gear due to minimal sound deadening are you?
Having checked out what those terms mean, it's not rollover as it only occurs in gear, but you could well be right about gear rattle - thanks! If so, it's good to know that it hasn't been damaging anything, unlike pinking.

I don't see how fuel <mytubeelement =""bundle":"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","":"","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_suped_on_your_browser":"No notification style suped on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_suped":"Not Suped","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for__site":"Click to enable for site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock or similar extension is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null,"prefs":"desktopNotification":true,"Notification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true" ="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement =""loadBundle":true" ="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>octane, or even additives, would affect the gearbox? Maybe it's just coincidence after all ""“ have other up!pers found that their gearboxes lost their rattle very suddenly after a few thousand miles?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes its very well documented. Most ups rattle on acceleration especially in 5th gear. I think in fact most cars do it but its only noticeable on the up due to the lightweight and compact design of the gearbox and minimal sound deadening like I said in my previous post. I used to own an up and now have an ibiza tdi ecomotive and I heard the same rattle in 5th in this car but it's much quieter. Edited by: dmn100

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Maybe most Ups rattle but mine certainly doesn't perhaps the ASG removes driver error.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Some drivers never master a smooth gear change and others are prone to ride the clutch. Just thinking this could cause rattles. All I know is that I have never had problems with rattles or noisy gearbox.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The last couple of fills I put 98 ronin the tank ofmy Up. Ijustwanted to knowwhether it would have any effect at all. To my surprise fuel consumption has gone down a bitand the most noticeableof all is thatthe engine seems a lot smoother now. I think I'm going to stick to the 98 ron for now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts