Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer suggests a future upgrade will be offered during PCP negotiations. Is this just sales talk - or has anyone actually been offered an upgrade 18 months down the road? If offered, was it sensible?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sales guy I dealt with said they will normally get in touch after 18 months on a 3 year pcp, same for a 4 year, yep they want you to change to a newer/bigger/more expensive model as early as poss when the car is still young and warrantied so they can sell it on for a good markup!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Been told it before, but never experienced the fabled phone call.

Truth is, the trade price they normally offer is not very good, which doesn't help with a deposit towards the next car.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not had a call but have just changed at 13 months 14 by delivery. Depending on deposit 18 months for many will be break even, possibly a bit bof equity as up! Residuals have slipped slightly as more used ones hit the forecourt. Take up! Has been hit due to lack of a/c and they struggled to shift used ones over the summer.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it does seem a false economy buying the bottom model of any car range. I'm always amazed at how far in front the high up is in the ownership polls on the forum as it's the most expensive model. I suspect my move up is not considered very desirable as a trade in either. I am hoping to trade up to a high up soon though (with sensor pack). Are there any killer extras or packs that make the up with them particularly desirable on the second hand market?Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
176 Posts
Having opted for PCP, the salesman at my local dealership explained that I had the option to upgrade to another model after 30 months.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming your term is 3 years then your new car will arrive maybe 3 months before the end of term. Not as exciting as 18 months but better than nothing i guess!Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
235 Posts
A PCP is only another form of HP, so you can change you car at any point during the term - the finance just has to be settled (with an early settlement discount because of a reduction in interest payable)and the contract is finished. It can be settled by a VW dealer or any other dealer, so you aren't even limited to another VW! The settlement will come out of the PX price, with any excess acting as a deposit for your next car.
Once half the total amount has been paid, you also have the option to hand the car back to VWFS and walk away - it's usually tucked away in the small print but often not mentioned! I did this with my last car as the residual value was lower than the 50% still outstanding - i.e 'negative equity' in effect.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Top tip Upmeister! Will keep in mind the possibility of returning the goods after 50% paid either with my current or a future PCP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts