Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front brakes behaving perfectly but back (both sides) grinding terribly...tried to get drums off to check but stuck solid so will need to have dealer have a good look at them when serviced (40k in 1k time)

reckon its time for new back shoes and no, I'm not heavy on the brakes. is 40k miles right for lifetime of brakeshoes??

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't think that 40,000 is too bad for rear shoes although I have had them last much longer on other cars. Its about that mileage when they can also start getting a bit glazed and less effective so worth replacing anyway if you're keeping the car long term.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will be keeping the car long term as its so good (and will be worth bugger all due to mileage.....on course for 80,000 at 3 years) so will pass it on to one of my boys as their first car

better forewarn my dealer to have a look at the brakes when booking it in !

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes but it has 'only' done 25,000 miles

·
Registered
252 Posts
Privatedoc, When you say brakes again, at what mileage did you first have brakes issue?

Edit

Sorry just seen the 30000 mile service post,

Moral of story look before posting...Edited by: mii al

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mii al, (and for those who didn't know) , my front discs warped giving mega-shudder replaced discs and pads with a 75% goodwill payment from VW (cannot complain as had done 31,000 miles)

now reckon a new set of drum shoes will sort the prob, I often have me (no lightweight) and 3 burly sons in the car so brakes are clearly going to wear faster than a car driven by an anorexic fairy with no passengers. However I am NOT heavy on the brakes as was shown by the fact the original pads were barely worn at 31k miles (replaced however as prudent to do when replacing the discs)

Lets not forget that the running costs of this car (and all up/mii/citigo vehicles) are MINIMAL and small sums to replace wear and tear items can be expected

when I had the Mercedes GL320, every time the dealer opened the bonnet it was a four-figure sum and every time I went to fill it up it was a three-figure sum......nice but horrendously extravagant

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have a maintenance plan (everything except tyres) on our Mii that was about £5 a month more than the straight service plan, but that includes extra year AA & 1st MOT.

I was expecting at least front pads to go to justify the extra, but if they last to 36000 then I may be out of pocket.

My cover from memory includes suspension parts, bulbs, wipers & clutch so apart from fuel & insurance I am not expecting any bills. The main reason for not going for tyre cover is that I have a set of winters so including a front rear tyre swap, I expect the 8 tyres I have to outlast the 3 years 36000 mile cover.

·
Registered
583 Posts
40K for rear brake pads is kind of ridiculous.

I'd expect them to last at least 100K.
Anything less and I won't be happy.

Previous car - 50% heavier - still had all original disks and pads after 120K miles.

·
Registered
851 Posts
_1S_ said:

Previous car - 50% heavier - still had all original disks and pads after 120K miles.
Blimey, you must have used engine braking and reverse slopes to stop your car!

·
Registered
430 Posts
_1S_ said:

Did you just do very very long journeys on the motorway to get 120,000.

40,000 isn't out of the way for some rear brake maintenance especially if carrying passengers and doing shortish journeys.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I trust this was sarcasm !If not,

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Ford Focus has well past 70k miles and the brake have never been touched.

Last time I looked they had tonnes of meat on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if that easily passed the 100k mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts