Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just my 90ps tsi mapped to 135hp, and 250nm torque. Car is a completely different animal now, so rapid! A proper sleeper now..
When driving hard, MPG has gone down to 25mpg from the 30s, but driving normally there's no difference.
I've heard the 5 speed box is only rated to 200nm torque though.. Hopefully won't run into any problems in the long term :oops:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like the sleeper look:) no one apart from a true petrol head, who could be bothered to stick their heads under the wheel arches would have a clue what it is.
I'll insult/upset a few now, but the UP GTI just isn't special enough to warrant the badge or the bling

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I like the sleeper look:) no one apart from a true petrol head, who could be bothered to stick their heads under the wheel arches would have a clue what it is.
I'll insult/upset a few now, but the UP GTI just isn't special enough to warrant the badge or the bling
Don't upset me, after owning one i totally agree.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't upset me, after owning one i totally agree.
I like the UP, ours is a fun point and squirt, reasonably practical, cheap to run car. For our needs its pretty good (its done 24k miles since I got it, of which I've accounted for maybe less than 7k. So you sort of get it's use/purpose) But it's got no depth of quality or sophistication in it's under pinnings. Beam rear axle, low cost components....
Having said that the ride / handling compromise is surprisingly good. But anyone who thinks it's more than a good city car is deluded:) and no amount of lipstick or bling will alter that.
I'm sure there's literally pretty much zero comparison in this respect to your MX5. In depth quality and development wrt driver engagement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just my 90ps tsi mapped to 135hp, and 250nm torque. Car is a completely different animal now, so rapid! A proper sleeper now..
When driving hard, MPG has gone down to 25mpg from the 30s, but driving normally there's no difference.
I've heard the 5 speed box is only rated to 200nm torque though.. Hopefully won't run into any problems in the long term :oops:
Hi,

I have a 90ps 3 door high up. It looks very run of the mill but has some get up and go already. Some extra poke would be great fun. Where did you have yours remapped? Thanks in advance for your help. 👍

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I like the UP, ours is a fun point and squirt, reasonably practical, cheap to run car. For our needs its pretty good (its done 24k miles since I got it, of which I've accounted for maybe less than 7k. So you sort of get it's use/purpose) But it's got no depth of quality or sophistication in it's under pinnings. Beam rear axle, low cost components....
Having said that the ride / handling compromise is surprisingly good. But anyone who thinks it's more than a good city car is deluded:) and no amount of lipstick or bling will alter that.
I'm sure there's literally pretty much zero comparison in this respect to your MX5. In depth quality and development wrt driver engagement.
You're not wrong but then you're talking about a car that was developed as a sports car from the outset (and is twice the price) whereas the GTI is Vw trying to put lipstick on a pig so to speak, it's fine but no sports car and suffers for the suspension set-up badly on the GTI. Was the reason i sold it after it started "twerking" down a quick back road in France where every other car just carries on through.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You're not wrong but then you're talking about a car that was developed as a sports car from the outset (and is twice the price) whereas the GTI is Vw trying to put lipstick on a pig so to speak, it's fine but no sports car and suffers for the suspension set-up badly on the GTI. Was the reason i sold it after it started "twerking" down a quick back road in France where every other car just carries on through.
Yes, an unfair comparison:) it was in the context that VW have cynically devalued the GTI brand. It's all about the money of course! and UK buyers are known suckers for this.
The Golf GTI/Golf R are based on a humble hatch but they do have real depth of quality, development and sophistication. At a cost, but a justified cost. Apart from the Mk 3 and 4 GTI the Golfs justify the badge.
The TSI does what it says on the tin, plus a little bit more.
The GTI.....well it doesn't:)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes, an unfair comparison:) it was in the context that VW have cynically devalued the GTI brand. It's all about the money of course! and UK buyers are known suckers for this.
The Golf GTI/Golf R are based on a humble hatch but they do have real depth of quality, development and sophistication. At a cost, but a justified cost. Apart from the Mk 3 and 4 GTI the Golfs justify the badge.
The TSI does what it says on the tin, plus a little bit more.
The GTI.....well it doesn't:)
Absolutely. When i sold my Gti i said i'd never own one again as it's a compromised city car and a compromised drivers car (needs to make its mind up and ditch the big wheels), however i would have a TSI for a daily car no problem. They just seem to be right for some reason and if you can map them to that kind of grunt then great.

Also as a side note when you look under the latest MX5 you realise just how well developed they are, crazy amount of engineering for the price.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also as a side note when you look under the latest MX5 you realise just how well developed they are, crazy amount of engineering for the price.
I have previously owned a Mazda 6 and currently own a Mazda 2. They are great drivers cars but they have one huge problem; the paint work is not fit for purpose. The front bumper, wings, bonnet and even roof pick up stonechips in their dozens very easily. The paintwork also scratches easily if you no more than look it. Mazda has not addressed this issue and refuses to do so. I would never buy another Mazda for this reason. I hope you get on better than i have with your car (I never speed or tailgate!).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have previously owned a Mazda 6 and currently own a Mazda 2. They are great drivers cars but they have one huge problem; the paint work is not fit for purpose. The front bumper, wings, bonnet and even roof pick up stonechips in their dozens very easily. The paintwork also scratches easily if you no more than look it. Mazda has not addressed this issue and refuses to do so. I would never buy another Mazda for this reason. I hope you get on better than i have with your car (I never speed or tailgate!).
Nope, not really, it's still pretty thin but i put that down to an MX5 thing and their quest for lightness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

I have a 90ps 3 door high up. It looks very run of the mill but has some get up and go already. Some extra poke would be great fun. Where did you have yours remapped? Thanks in advance for your help. 👍
I had it remapped by an APR dealer in Wales, about £418.
I know that most people go JBS up in Sheffield and its a bit cheaper there, but with college and work I'd never have found the time to make it up there.
I'd also recommend getting some better tyres on there if you choose to remap, if you're still running the crappy eco tyres.

Just got back from an 80 mile trip, the way it pulls in 5th gear from 70mph, foot down is crazy compared to stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the TSI badge off mine too to make it even more discreet.. To 99% of people they'll just think its a 60ps up but it has more than double the power haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update... Ever since I got the remap I had EPC light with P2279 error code - Air intake leak when I was at high rpms. I took it back to the garage where I got the remap, they smoke tested it, apparently found a leak near the airbox. Light has kept coming on since then. Going to phone them up tomorrow and get it reverted back to stock and a full refund. Guessing the tune is dodgy then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update... Ever since I got the remap I had EPC light with P2279 error code - Air intake leak when I was at high rpms. I took it back to the garage where I got the remap, they smoke tested it, apparently found a leak near the airbox. Light has kept coming on since then. Going to phone them up tomorrow and get it reverted back to stock and a full refund. Guessing the tune is dodgy then.
Hi, did you ever resolve the EPC light issue? I had my TSi APR tuned a week ago and I have also encountered this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting comments, TSi Vs GTi , this story will run and run with fans in both camps. GTi is compromised by its lower harsh suspension (in the UK with some of the worse roads in Europe). So, pick your fights and roads.....and most of the time the TSi is the answer. Think, GTi with touring suspension option (Porsche 911RS though they needed it as well)

TSi use what you have: 3rd gear is amazing if you're 'on it', Hauls arse all the way to the red line and surprises a free people. TSi badge, leave it on, or in my case (dropped for 18my) buy it and re-instate the pride. Re-map, not for me, I intend to keep the car and would be happier wringing its neck within its technical limits or gear box, clutch and brakes.
Also keeping the strips..................

But to be fair, we only play 10% of the time so I rather spend the re-map money on a new ICE head unit and get rid of Maps and More rubbish.............but thats another story ;) :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi, did you ever resolve the EPC light issue? I had my TSi APR tuned a week ago and I have also encountered this.
I just got the remap removed yesterday and fault is gone. Couldn't be bothered to actually chase a refund as it was just driving me nuts and don't have the time to be driving up and down to the remapper to prove that it's the fault of the software.

I took it to my local vw dealer a few weeks ago, they had it for a day and couldn't find anything wrong with the car at all, just told me to get the map off and see if that solved it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Interesting comments, TSi Vs GTi , this story will run and run with fans in both camps. GTi is compromised by its lower harsh suspension (in the UK with some of the worse roads in Europe). So, pick your fights and roads.....and most of the time the TSi is the answer. Think, GTi with touring suspension option (Porsche 911RS though they needed it as well)

TSi use what you have: 3rd gear is amazing if you're 'on it', Hauls arse all the way to the red line and surprises a free people. TSi badge, leave it on, or in my case (dropped for 18my) buy it and re-instate the pride. Re-map, not for me, I intend to keep the car and would be happier wringing its neck within its technical limits or gear box, clutch and brakes.
Also keeping the strips..................

But to be fair, we only play 10% of the time so I rather spend the re-map money on a new ICE head unit and get rid of Maps and More rubbish.............but thats another story ;) :confused:
Tbh I'm not too disappointed with the power with the car back to stock. It's still fast enough and I don't have to worry about long term reliability, I drive pretty high mileage so I did worry about that.

I want to get an aftermarket head unit in mine too for apple carplay and to wire a subwoofer in, but haven't seen any facia kits for the facelift model yet..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts