Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted on here for a while but I've noticed alot of people have been complaining about loud/rough gearboxes? I've read a load of threads with no proper answer

I've had mine just under a year and done 21k miles now, ever since new the gearbox has been loud and awful, everyone I've ever taken in the car has said how hideous it sounds. Everytime you up shift it sounds like there's an inch of backlash and the gears are crashing into eachother, downshifting is painful and you have to ram it into gear sometimes. 8 times out 10 you have to double clutch to get reverse, and even then still have to force it in and the whole car jolts like the clutch is dragging
At idle when cold the input shaft bearing is so loud! Sounds like a friggin tractor!!

Are there any known faults with these? Vw keep telling me it's normal, but they are a bunch of useless idiots with the poorest customer service I've seen

I appreciate it's a cheap car, but it's the biggest heap of sh*te I've ever driven, my 23 year old polo has less rattles and is nicer to drive! I can't wait to hand it back, I will never be buying a new vw again, they don't build them like proper vw's old golf's etc. 10k could have got me something nice. It's so bloody slow!! The only thing I can compare it to is my 50cc bike when I was 16, when driving up a hill you have to down shift to 2nd/3rd as it's such a gutless pile of poop it can't power through anything,
Anyway rant over, up's are hideous cars that vw should never had sold

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well after my second service and recall update vw replaced my gearbox after re wiring the car and I can safely say This is my last vw I'll be owning!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yep, the gearbox is pretty noisy - I've got the backlash on mine, too. The courtesy car Ups that I've had have been fine and much quieter. I've not had any issues changing gear or any crunching, though.

I've already decided that I'm trading mine in for a Polo next March. Much smoother and significantly more refined. Economy's not much different, either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see I'm not alone then
You must have had to do some serious complaining to get a new gearbox out of vw! I can't even get them to book a service for me

Is it just luck then? As mines don't it from factory new. My missus mate has an up and she said her gearbox doesn't make any noise, maybe some of us are just unlucky

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well its a long story but it went for a service and it worked perfect, it came out Having had a recall update to solve a problem my car didnt have, I took it back and vw were stuck they didnt know what was wrong so the did the recall again, no fix, re wired it, no fix so they just replaced the gear box, which solved 1 issue but it drives like a pile of crap now!

Ps mines a auto (asg) problem not manual.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had a similar experience. My dealer sent a technical query to the factory and it was discovered that there was a faulty code in the software update. The factory issued my dealer with a revised code which cured the problem. Overall it took three days to rectify but the car was drive able all the time. The ASG is now performing even better than before. The trouble appears to be that if only a few drivers report a problem VW seem to ignore that a problem exists and it's only after a significant number complain that they act.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ,
I own a Move UP in Melbourne and the major problem that I can see with the car is that the Engine spins (Rev's to much).

When you go to change gears say from first to second or second to third you have to wait until the resv drops to acheive a smooth noisless gear change.

In the meantime you have lost road speed and you can have the car behind run into you as the speed drops off.

Also if you dont let the revs drop between gear changes you WILL damage the clutch mechanism , as the flywheel hitting the the clutch disk at high revolutions will damage it and the gearbox.

I am sure that this is what is causing a large amount of clutch and gearbox problems.

I dont know how a company such as VW can experiment with a new engine and gearbox at the customers expense.

Not a good way to do business

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agree with everything your saying, I've noticed that too, when you depress the clutch off throttle the revs actually rise!! I put this down to having a outrageously heavy flywheel for fuel economy or some crap like that

That's not how the clutch/flywheel works btw, when you depress the clutch it will be away from the flywheel, then when you change gear the clutch and flywheel have nothing to do with the actual gear change, and then when you let off the clutch the friction plate re engages the flywheel allowing power to be transmitted through the gearbox, now amount of flywheel/clutch on/off is ever going to damage it from them crashing into eachother

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I agree,But aHigh spinning flywheel engaging with a lower spinning clutch friction plate in the long run will cause rapid friction plate wear and other associated wear.

I have previously driven a corsa and its engine RPM automatically dropped within a second or two between each gear change.

No such thing with the UP.

All I can say unfortunately, is adjust your driving style with any UP or be prepared to prematurely wear out your clutch.
Not good.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sounds good but how do you explain that when you used to have to double declutch when changing gear you used to rev the engine to increase its speed before letting the clutch in?

·
Registered
45 Posts
In order to add balance to this thread for other potential up! Owners may I add that I am so far very happy with my ASG 64 plate high up!. It is getting smoother and is much better than the 14 plate ASG that I test drove.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I've bought the wrong car.. It's so dreary to go from my dc2 integra type r or my polo g40 into driving the up everyday it just makes me die inside!

Thing is, all I had to go by was Internet reviews and what the salesman said, yeah great I got a 3 minute test drive and 2:59 of that was sat in traffic, everyone was saying how nippy the car is, ITS NOT! I don't know who the **** thought it was. I'm glad there are people out there who enjoy their up's, Ive always been a massive vw fan, but since owning some japanese cars, you just cannot compare the two, the engineering on a jap car obliterates all competition, if you actually enjoying driving and appreciate a well designed/engineered car the I don't recommend this car at all. If you just want to get from a to b at the slowest possible pace and not fussed about a god awful seating position (I still can't understand how vw got this car so uncomfortable) then I still don't recommend the up lol, there's far cheaper cars out there that are better in everyday, anyway not to go off on a tangent

I took my car into a very dealer (different one) and they had a check on it, there was no master tech in at the time, but they said the problem is, is because the car is made to be so economical the gearboxes are made very lightweight there for transmitting more sound into the cabin

The reason he put down gears are crunchy is because the oil isn't warn enough and I need to let it warm for longer.... Absolute load of trash, typical service adviser talk, basically what he's saying, is, yes! The gearboxes are made out of cheese! It may or may not self destruct, but vw won't recall all of them as it would cost millions, so instead we will replace the ones covered under warranty if they fail, but for the rest of you, when your warranty runs out that's it....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really don't know what people expect from the cheapest car in the VAG. It's going to be built down to a cost so you have to expect some idiosyncrasies. Yes the gearbox is noisy, but so what? It's not as refined as a Polo because it doesn't cost as much as a Polo.

To the OP - sorry but you can't blame anyone but yourself about not getting a proper test drive. Try a different dealer, try a different time of day. And of course it's going to feel sluggish compared to an Integra but again I go back to my first point, what did you expect?

·
Registered
325 Posts
You're missing the point - of course I don't expect it to be as refined as the Polo but I do expect it to be at least as refined as the Take Ups and Move Ups that I've driven, and it isn't. My test drive was in a Take Up, I think - it was very basic inside but it was quiet and smooth. The courtesy Move Ups I've driven (3 of them - that's how many times my High Up has been back to the dealer in the first 6 months) have been quiet and smooth with no gearbox rattle or 'backsnatch'. My High Up has a very noisy gearbox and the clutch pedal, despite being replaced, is still very creaky. I don't expect this for £11,000. It also sounds 'tinnier' than the other Ups I've driven. I've mentioned all these to VW but I get the same old response that it's normal for a car of this price/size.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Which is fair enough. They should be consistent and that would suggest that there is a problem with yours.

But to go from that to 'all Up gearboxes are made of cheese' is a massive jump as there are 10s of thousands running around that are just fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts