Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, now an up owner, very happy but missing armrest like in former car. Have read various comments re fitting one but wonder if it would prove to be in the way of things like seat belt clip etc. Anyone had problems like this after fitting one ? Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
As its an official SEAT part, I assume its use will not compromise any of the car's essential functions or performance.
Before I started to drive my up! I was all ready to buy this SEAT item and fit it to my up! But to date, despite being used to a centre armrest for the past 30+ years, to date I am managing perfectly well WITHOUT it ... to my great surprise!
Maybe you'll find likewise?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had one on the Octavia. It interfered with the control of the car, preventing the use of the gear lever and the hand brake, so it remained firmly in the up position.

Nick

·
Registered
397 Posts
How interesting! My last three company cars were all Octavias. I had the armrest down all the time, as I did on my Qashqai, before I changed to the up! (Hence my plan to get one as soon as I got the up!)
So doesn't it just show show subjective its use is!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I must have very short arms because with both hands on the steering wheel I am unable to reach an arm rest. Surely there are not responsible drivers who only put one hand on the steering wheel

·
Registered
265 Posts
Beevee said:
I must have very short arms because with both hands on the steering wheel I am unable to reach an arm rest. Surely there are not responsible drivers who only put one hand on the steering wheel
you know, driving down the freeways i don't even use either hand, just my knee

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, I've just installed the Armster Armrest and I'm sorry to say I wouldn't recommend it. With absolutely no fault to the Armster Armrest itself, that is an excellent piece of kit, but the bit of the cars centre console that it screws into is more than a little bit wobbly. Give it a wiggle yourself, from the plastic bit around the handbrake to the rear centre cup holder. I wouldn't advise fitting one. Apparently the Seat Mii or the Skoda Citigo armrest is better as it bolts to the bracket attached to the floor but requires a section of the Up! centre console to be cut away. I'm waiting for VW to bring theirs out then I'll replace my Armster one. My armrest is down all the time, it doesn't really interfere with the handbrake or gears though the seatbelt is a little trickier to click home. You soon get used to it and I do drive the ASG model however.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Beevee said:
.... with both hands on the steering wheel I am unable to reach an arm rest. QUOTE]
And that's as it should be! That applies to both the centre armrest and indeed the one on the driver's door (which also is useful when closing the door from inside the car)
I use the centre armrest to help me get into the correct position when first settling into the car before driving off and occasionally to re-adjust my position when stationary at lights or waiting at a roundabout.
As I've said earlier, I'm currently finding I'm managing without a centre armrest; maybe I'm using the steering wheel to pull on to get my correct driving position!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for that Peter. An armrest by definition is somewhere to rest your arm. Not a good idea for the driver of a vehicle who would have to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel. I have had several cars with a centre armrest which I have used for storage and for the benefit of a front passenger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the Mii armrest purchased at a discount from a Seat dealer on the South Coast - Google Mii armrest. Seat website quotes a fitted price, but I bought mine at a DIY price and installed it in about 1 hour.

It matches the athracite trim of my High up! perfectly and looks like an OE part.

The armrest is adjustable for height/angle and the padded lid can be moved forwards/backwards - plus it offer useful additional storage.

It does make it a little more fiddly to click-in the saet belt, but I soon adapted to it and it's no longer an issue.

Overall I am glad I bought it and would recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to rest their arm whilst cruising in their up!

·
Registered
52 Posts
We fitted one of these to our High Up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-ARMREST-ARM-REST-FOR-SKODA-CITIGO-VW-UP-SEAT-MII-NEW-/161006734372?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AUP&hash=item257cbfcc24

There seem to be a whole host of versions availabe for the UP with different mounting systems. Here is another one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Up-fit-middle-Armrest-/350834174231?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51af58a917

The version we fitted is definately in the way a little for both using the hand brake and inserting the seat belt. I tend therefore to drive around town with it in the raised position and put it down on motorways which works okay.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Take a look at my topic for some more info :http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/up-black-gunspeed_topic1857_post27581.html#27581I (and in the meanwhile many others) have mounted the Seat armrest. As you can see it's very well build and very solid too, mainly due to the metal frame that is directly attached to the chassis. All other systems are attached to the "centre console" which is just a small peace of plastic... Just look at the pics taken during mounting and see for yourselves...

Putting on the seatbelts is no problem at all and the extra storage space inside is very welcome in a little car like this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can't really believe all i'm reading
why in such a little car would u want an armrest ??We do not have freeways or auto (sorry germany) barns.

Its a little bundle of heaven for whizzing out and about

·
Registered
19 Posts
Upmeister said:
I have the Mii armrest ...

The armrest is adjustable for height/angle and the padded lid can be moved forwards/backwards - plus it offer useful additional storage.
How do you adjust the height and angle? I'm beginning to think that my armrest must be broken because I can't lock it in any position and I believe that the knob underneath the storage compartment is what does it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
As an ex driving instructor, I would like to see all drivers with both hands on the steering wheel. There are plenty of stowage spaces in the cabin without adding more. Mind you I would sooner see the armrest being used than the top of the gear change stick as seems to be a habit amongst lots of drivers these days. Also of course I still see drivers with mobile phones stuck to their ear whilst driving. I think anybody caught committing that particular offence after all the warnings should have their vehicles confiscated and destroyed. (or given to a worthwhile charity).

I know some of the answers on here are tongue in cheek replies.. but this is not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like to use only my knee to steer.. And sometimes if my right leg gets tired I use my left foot to operate the accelerator.. Is this okay?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well i just stick cruise control on and because mines an automatic I just go and have a kip on the back seats! When having a long journey!! And the car looks after itself

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey everyone, I've got the seat mii and I ordered my armrest from a seat dealer for £120(fair bit of mates rates discount there), it's £175 on there website. So I'd shop around of you wanna get one.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts