Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Moving from a Nissan Micra K12 (2005) automatic to an ASG 60ps.
My local dealer does not have an auto on demo.

Wondering if I can get feedback from you good folks. Obviously, coming from a Micra automatic (3 gears+overdrive) and 0-60 of 17.5-18 seconds, please do keep in mind that I may not be expecting a lot.

Key concerns:
1. Does it downshift well enough on the motorway to account for ascents in the road?
2. Can it keep up with traffic both pulling out of a junction in the city and joining a motorway?
3. What are your gripes with the ASG, if at all?
4. What is your mpg experience so far?
5. Is there any reason you would not recommend the ASG today?

Thanks friends. Helps me choose
S

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have to admit I've never driven an ASG Up!, but I am put off by the fact that in the past I have owned a Golf GTI Mk6 and a 140hp TDI Eos with the supposedly superior DSG 'box and was very disappointed on both occasions.

The ASG may be perfectly ok, but I would strongly suggest you try it before you order, as I found the DSG very jerky around town, with noticeable drivetrain shunt.
Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
95 Posts
You need to understand what the ASG box is, treat it in such a way and then it is great little unit.

Jump in it, push the pedal to the floor, then you will be disappointed.

It is NOT an automatic gearbox, it is as automated clutch. As you drive, you gently lift the accelerator at the point it is due to change up, you can pre-empt this point and soon get to learn how it works. You can also coerce it into changing again by using the throttle.

My only gripe is the "kick-down". I much prefer to manually drop a gear prior to accelerating if required.

Edited by: karlak

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Firstly don't listen to anyone who had not driven an ASG. As far as 0 to 60 is concerned the Up! is faster than the Micra. It is an automated clutch and not gearbox and there is often a slight lag in changing down. A good driver who has good anticipation will find no problems with the gear changing. Kick down is really good giving adequate acceleration. I ordered mine before they were released and I have not been disappointed. As always do treat your car with a little respect from new and don't over rev for the first 1000 miles and allow the engine to run in. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I prefer the "normal manual gearbox" ...

I am responible, I'm the king - or idiot ...

And as your dealer doesn't have one - and they are much more seldom - what will happen if anything goes wrong or if there has to be normal maintenance?

If have a Kawasaki bike with very untypical valve settings (one cylinder 250 ccm). I wrote a "maintenance guide" even for Kawasaki garages because the right setting has nothing to do with "mordern bikes".

I prefer the "well known" ...

But maybe this is off topic?

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK We have a new UP ASG with 650 miles and am very disappointed with the the gear change.. The car is great in every other way. And yes I know its not an auto box.. the problem for me is have driven a Smart for 10 years so believe me know what a jerky gear change is.. but at least the gears changed.. on the UP I can be doing 30 in 5th or 30 in 1st if going up a hill.

Manual over ride just does not work at all once the computer has made its mind up...

On a couple of instances its been quite dangerous situation where it will not change down so the car wil accelerate out of potential trouble..

The UP basically gets stuck in gear..

Unfortunately I live on top of a hill..

Am i Alone with this.. Needless to say going back to dealer..

·
Registered
540 Posts
The ASG has been lambasted in the press on the UP, however each unto their own.

Most people I know who have an ASG, either in here or IRL are not fans. But you should test drive one yourself to make your own decision. Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would and should have test driven one, but none available from dealer.. Having read that it was a "jerky" change did not worry us as we were Smart drivers, which we found acceptable and though the UP would be similar.. Not the case

I live in hope that there is something not right with our car.. plan to take back and if technician says "no problem" (as expected) .. will ask to be given another ASG to try out..
If the same = VW design/software
If not the same = problem with our one.

The real shame is that its such a great car in every other respect..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know if you decided but why not ask dealer to "borrow" one. Im taking my ASG into VW tomorrow as they have someone wanting a test drive and none in stock. Im getting full tank of petrol, full valet and use of a Golf for the day so quite happy with that! As for the drive, Ive always driven auto in all shapes and sizes and its no worse/ better than most just need to adjust driving technique slightly. Saying that Ive asked them to look at it because for a few weeks its started getting stuck in 2nd. I can get up to 40mph and have to manually change as its revving like mad!x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts