Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about the shortcommings of the UP, ASG box , is V.W ever going to modify it, as it must be having an adverse affect on overall sales. I have just had a 50 mile ride in a neighbours Fiat 500 with an auto box and was very impressed with how smooth the changes were and I think it was 5 speed also, so it can be done in very small cars.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Mike. I have been told believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. My Up! ASG is an absolute pleasure to drive. I have owned several automatics over the past sixteen years including two BMWs. The Up! Is excellent value for money and economical to run. It is not a true automatic but when properly driven performs well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry for reviving an older thread.
We have the ASG and I can honestly say that it does most of what is asked of it. I often use cars from work which are manual and are worth at least 18,000 euros more than myUPbut I swear to God I can feel my blood boiling shortly after waiting at traffic lights or crawling in town traffic, playing this silly clutch bitting point game drives my absolutely up the wall. Ok I love a manual when the road is clear, it would be my weapon of choice but when that road gets congested there is nothing more I want to do than to sit back, turn up the music, move the seat back a notch or two thentap the accellarator a few times now and then. For me the ASG in a car that I love is the only combination for a city car. I would have paid extra for a DSG if they made one. I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday about UPgrading to a POLO next year and getting the DSG and 2DIN Satnav option, either way a manual is out of the question for the reason I have already mentioned.

I too do wonder if those VW engineers will add a bit of sportiness to the way that the ASG responds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts