Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I know lots has been written about the ASG gearbox in the Up! but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with selecting reverse gear. Mine has an intermittent fault where it takes several attempts to select reverse gear. There is no 'beep' and the engine just revs without engaging the gear.

I have returned it to me VW dealer twice now. They said they could not find a fault when inspecting it or driving it. However just as I was about to collect it on the second visit, they said they had a fault report appear on the computer checking system, so they reset it to factory settings (can this be done on a gearbox?).

Sadly the fault occurred just minutes after collecting the car. I shall be taking it back in again soon, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, have you found a satisfactory solution?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Its happened once or twice to me because I didnt have my foot on the break so as I accelerated it just reved as soon as I touched the break it clunked into reverse

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a similar issue with my 13 plate up, can't engage 1st or reverse at times, crunches when it does engage (yes clutch is depressed!) but also have a noisy clunk on changing up, like a release of tension in the drive train .. any one else having same issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have experienced similar problems with my new Up! since I bought it in June this year. There is an intermittent problem with the gearstick when going into D from Neutral the gearbox remains in Neutral and the engine just revs without engaging gear. When this happens the gearstick
will not physically move into M. If I now try and engage R, again the engine just revs and stays in neutral.( All these manoeuvers, of course, with the foot brake pressed). The solution to this is to wobble the gearstick from side to side until it engages.
My vehicle has been twice back to the dealers and they could not find any fault except the first time they did a software update, but this has made no difference whatsoever.
I should be pleased to learn of any comments on this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 12 frustrating months of trying to convince the VW dealership who sold me a 62 plate Move Up that there was a serious problem with gear selection on my car I have finally had a new gearbox fitted under warranty. I found another dealer who was prepared to take us seriously, liaised with VWUK (quite a fight) and finally 3 weeks ago fitted the new box. The difference is incredible and I now have a car that slips into gear (importantly 1st and reverse).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

I have a similar gearbox problem. My up is 65hp 11/2012 4door model.

The problem is that no matter the conditions or the speed or the engine load, the gearbox turns into nutreal and a notification led pops up in dashboard! Even if i select d the engine revs like on neutral and the indicator is just D instead of D1 like normal. Manual says that this is coused due to overheated gearbox! The possible solutions are 1) change 2-3 times between neutral and D until it engeages the first gear and the pop up goes off. 2) disconnect the battery so the ecu resets.
Its very unsafe if not uncomfortable couse this pops at any time any whare without any erlier warning!
I wanted to know if someone else had ever experienced this.

Tomorrow morning i am going to visit my local vw dealer and i"ll let you know of the result!

Any piece of advise is wellcome!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts