Up Owners Club banner

ASG gearbox issue - momentary pause

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ThatUp!GTI 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased a new 2016 Move UP! one month ago (Oct 2016) with automatic gearbox. While happy with most aspects of the car, there is one serious issue I have come to notice.

Very often I find that when I am trying to speed up (going into roundabout, turning right with oncoming vehicle at a distance), as I depress the accelerator, the gear will disengage for about 2 seconds or so while the engine is revving up. After this momentary pause, the gear will engage and the car starts speeding up. I mostly notice this when the car needs to change down from the 3rd to 2nd gear to speed up but also I noticed this happens when the car is already in the 2nd gear and it doesn't change gear to speed up.

This concerns me because I find myself with other cars fast approaching me but I am getting no acceleration from the car.

I took the car in for a checkup with Alan Day VW dealer yesterday and they just rung me to say they found no issues with the car (they even did a road test) and regarding the gear issue, they are saying that is the way that's supposed to be.

I browsed this website (and I wish I had done so before i bought the car) and noticed that many people have reported the same issue but I don't see any resolution.

Has anyone experienced the same issue and found a solution to this?

I also noticed that on a couple of occasions, when going from N to D or N to R, the gear will not engage. I had to jiggle the stick back and forth between N-D (or N-R) a few times before the gear engages and the car starts moving.

It seems that there is definitely a design defect with ASG (or software issue) but VW are not admitting to it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Edited by: Chrome

See less See more
#3 ·
I can confirm that this is the most jolty gearbox I've ever used, now that I've driven a couple of these at work, didn't enjoy it at all. One thing to remember though is that its NOT an automatic gearbox in any sense of the word, it is a robotised clutch-pedal-less manual.

#4 ·
Hi thanks for your reply.

At least I found the answer to why sometimes N->D, or N->R gear shift isn't registered properly. It seems that if you leave the car (while the engine is running) in N gear for a while, you have to depress the brake pedal before you change the gear to D or R otherwise the gear will not change. Not sure why this is but that's the way it is. Leaving the car in N while the car is running is not something I do very often so it's not a problem.

As for the jerky movement of ASG sometimes when changing gear, after reading your answers and many posts here, it seems to me that that's the way it's supposed to be. Too sudden depressing of the accelerator will sometimes cause that not-so-smooth gear change, depending on a few factors, such as the current speed, the gear you are in, slope etc. I've been told by VW engineer that being gentle with the accelerator will avoid the issue. I guess I just have to get used to ASG gearbox.

Thanks for your replies.

#7 ·
Hi thanks for your reply.

At least I found the answer to why sometimes N->D, or N->R gear shift isn't registered properly. It seems that if you leave the car (while the engine is running) in N gear for a while, you have to depress the brake pedal before you change the gear to D or R otherwise the gear will not change. Not sure why this is but that's the way it is. Leaving the car in N while the car is running is not something I do very often so it's not a problem.

Thanks for your replies.

That's fairly normal for all automatics to have your foot on the brake before going into drive/reverse. It's a safeguard to stop you firing off forward or backward by mistake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.