Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. My wife has taken our 2013 (Sept) Cheer UP in forit's very firstservice this morning, she was told that the ASG gearbox will receive a softwareupdate as well as other updates.No details were given regarding what improvements this software will provide, does anyone have an idea ? We will collect the car this evening, around 7pm, I do hope the gearbox improves as I haven't been impressed at all by it during the last year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Twogingercats - welcome to the forum.

I had my '62 ASG updated two weeks ago and I am more than satisfied with the result.
The car drives much more smoothly, changes up quicker and shows a gear/speed change improvement that is better than the original. Altogether a much happier car - in auto mode...
When driving in manual mode you won't see the changes displayed - just a small glitch I am happy to ignore!

See my earlier topic calling for info about the upgrade itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete053, i'm really happy to hear this news. I'll take it for a spin later tonight when the wife brings it home. I'll comment further once I have experienced the new improved update. Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had my ASG. High up for Two weeks now. It is a 64 plate ie 2015 version, I think. I have been pleasantly surprised with how much smoother the ASG is on my car compared with the one on the car that I had my test drive on in June.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kat, this is super. I haven't had a chance to use the car yet as the window motor needs replacing but will have a chance to use our car late tonight. We have a rented manual Up for the time being, the wife loves it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just picked my car up after second service and software update to gearbox. As has already been reported gear changes are smoother but when driving in manual mode there is no indication of what gear you are in. I have reported this to my dealer and VW customer service so hopefully a further update will be issued. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Beevee. My new UP ASG is down for making week commencing 26 Oct.according to the tracker site. with all the updates mentioned on this site can I safely expect it to have them all fitted when mine arrives sometime in mid November I am trading my High up in for the automatic as I have always wanted to go down the auto route even though my present car has very low mileage on.
regards. Mike

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm sure your car will have the latest upgrades already installed. I'm also sure you will be pleased with your car. Kat has just received her new ASG perhaps you could PM her to ask how she is finding it. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Kat. Would love to hear what your feelings are, re my posting to Beevee today on this site.
kind regards Mike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Mike,
I think that you can rest assured that your new ASG will have the current updates already on it. I collected my new ASG high up on 27 th Sept having ordered it in 24 th June. My only previous ASG experience was driving the test car , this was obviously older but I can't remember what plate it was.
In comparison my car is much smoother on gear changes than was the test drive car. I haven't tried it in manual mode yet so can't ommemt on that. I have noticed occasional slight loss in power but these last only a second or two and have always occurred on straight roads almost as though the car has changed up a gear too soon. I'm still getting used to the car as Ive not driven any form of automatic before. So far. I'm very pleased with it and am very happy with my choice.
It is quieter than I had thought that it would be and the coloured dash ( mine is Mayan blue to match the outside) makes me smile every time that I get into it.
Don't get scared by all the negative ASG reports that can be found on the Internet, they are all pre update. Trust Beevee instead :).
Hope you are happy with your ASG, please do feel free to pm me or message here if I can he you with any other questions,
Regards
Kat.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Kat. So pleased you are happy with your Up! I hope you have many years of happy automatic motoring. Give manual mode a go and let me know what you think. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, just wanted to give my view on the ASG update....

In a nut shell I think the update is a possitive success compared with the pre update version. I gave the car a twenty minutes blast around town late last night and deliberately tackled some roads I know the pre update struggled with.

The first improvements were found when accellerating from a local flat 50kmph roadthat forksoff ontoa climbing 80kmph carrageway. Thecorrect gear was foundfaster and once up to speed it kept me in a gear with a good range of power that I can acually use comfortably before setteling into a nice cruise speed instead ofitusuallydropping a gear early before I've finished accellerating or even joinedthe carrageway and leaving me stuck without power like it used to do. I used to hate having to stamp the peddle down and ride the uncomfortablemayhem that would then unfold just so I had enough speed to join the carrage way.

Secondleythere was a huge improvement with engine braking. So much smoother, I was impressed.In order to pull into my street I must reduce speed from 70kmph to 0 on a very busy main roadbecause of the on coming traffic I must cross over ( there always is ). Previously the engine braking would be muchstronger than my efforts to slow down, so my smooth and consistant braking efforts were overriden by fast, jerky and unpradictable ones. This was one of my main gripes about this ASG gearbox. Thankfully this problem seems to have been smoothed out. Very happy.

I haven't had chance to see if anything else has improved but so far i'm happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Beevee,
Ok I'll have a read of the manual and pluck up the courage to give manual mode a go. I also need to try out the cruise control at some point as I am taking the up on its first long journey at the weekend ( from West Wales to Sheffield and back). I must confess to not having much idea as to when I should use manual mode , I'm guessing when I approach a steep hill would be one situation of which there are many near me and also in Sheffield.
I must also remember to fill up the tank with petrol, I've been driving disel cars for the last 12 years and our other car is still a disel.
I'll report back when I've had a go.
Kat

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You're absolutely right Kat. You would use manual mode when you want the car to stay in a particular gear and as you say this would be in hilly situations. Even in manual mode if you're driving too slow for the gear you are in the auto will kick in and change down. Cruise control is great especially on dual carriageways and motorways. It feels strange at first as if you are not in control but you will soon get used to it. Don't feel pressured to do anything you are not comfortable with as the auto will perform well in all conditions. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Beevee for your support and encouragement. I do want to try all of the functions on my up but tend to be nervous about trying new things. I'm sure that I will love all of the various functions once I get used to them .

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Following the transmission upgrade I had on Tuesday like others I no longer had a display of gear engaged in manual mode. My dealer initiated a technical query to VW who admited a coding error in the upgrade. The dealer has recoded the transmission today and all is back to normal. If after the transmission recall you lose the gear display in manual mode get your dealer to obtain the correct code from VW.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Cadfael. I'm not technically minded but my understanding is that the transmission upgrade provided by VW contained a coding error. A revised coding was issued to my dealer which, when applied to my car, corrected the fault.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, a friend with a Citigo had his re-coded yesterday to bring back the manual mode display. He was told the same thing about the coding error in the original update.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So glad you all approve of the update to the ASG! As the first here to experience the improvements to the gearbox upgrade, I have noticed other things that are 'different;..The car 'holds' in first or second gear and is reluctant to change at times. I flick it into manual and select the gear it should be in and then back to auto. The nature of lake district roads causes this to happen I am sure! Other small things too, but I haven't put enough miles on the clock yet since the upgrade to be sure about them. Very small criticisms - very big improvement - I'm happy, especially when VW said last year that they had no plans to upgrade the ASG software!
Thanks Beeevee for the info on the coding error - must get that sorted at my next service.
Also good to hear twogingercats that you are finding the ASG more pleasant to drive - enjoy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts