Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anybody ordered the vw up! Asg?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Itzben said:
Hey, has anybody ordered the vw up! Asg?
I have an automated manual on my Smart that I'm about to swap for an up. It takes ages to change down to the point of being dangerous and you can change gear much more smoothly if you do it yourself with a manual gearbox. I can't wait to go back to manual!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a dsg golf and Ihate it, bt the vans at work are sprintshift and work the same and I prefer them

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I've ordered the car with ASG.I find it stressful andaggravating to shift gears 150-300 times on my short 20 minute trip to work because of cars slowing down / speeding up all the time in the morning/evening traffic (keeping a short distance to the car in front of you in heavy traffic is essential to avoid traffic build up and I've seen that many people in cars with manual transmission leaveextremelylarge gaps to avoid shifting gears).

I've only had one car with manual transmission and that was a 1997 Porsche Boxster. And I think even that car is better with automatic transmission. After that I had a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban, 2003 VW Polo, Audi TT 2008 (s-tronic) and VW Caravelle 2009 - all automatic. I don't find it difficult to drive with a manual transmission (on rental cars etc.) but I don't see any point in doing it manually if it can be done automatically.

People say it's not DSG and all, but this is a 1 litre engine and one of the cheapest cars available (at least in my country). It's not like we're talking about ASG transmission in a fast sports car or a premium car with a large enigne. I look at it as a car to me from point A to point B and I will probably be very satisfied with the ASG :) But I hope they use the DSG in the UP GT/GTI (if it comes with automatic transmission). In my opinion, that's a car that will be driven moreaggressively and deserves a gear box with rapid shiftingcapabilities too provide a fun driving experience.

I don't think people will ever agree on going automatic or not(it's like discussing PC vs. Mac, iOS vs. Android, AMD vs. Intel...), and every buyer should decide for themselves after thinking about what they prefer, if they can live with it notbeingDSG, how much they drive in heavy traffic, if it's worth the extra cost etc.

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally someone who has the same thoughts as me! Are you a mac or pc man??

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I took the leap from DSG to go back to manual after over 15 years of autos!

I figured that it was quicker to shift myself than the ASG (like the smart car, which I had a few years ago too!)...

Sometimes it gets frustrating, but I don't regret the manual UP! (yet!!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Itzben said:
Finally someone who has the same thoughts as me! Are you a mac or pc man??

Haha, PC

But I've had the iPhone 3, 4 and soon 5 :)

ASG reviews are starting to appear on german VW UP forums and it seems like I made the right choice trusting VW when they told the public that the ASG will perform much better than the competitors automated gear boxes :) The first owners of the ASG UP say it's much better than the automated box in the Smart and that it feels much smoother duringacceleration than the manual gear box in the UP. If you take into account that the specs are identical (only milliseconds in difference as it shifts quite quickly) I see no reason to go with manual for a city car. The fuel economy is also as good as the manual (probably better in real life as it will be driven more smoothly).

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
265 Posts
I hope it is better than the Smart gearbox. When I first got mine I found the gearbox 'quirky', but I know find it annoying, and left in full auto mode its just awful, so I end up always uses the paddles to change gear.

I'm looking forward to getting back to a nice, normal manual box

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess so, cause theres no park just neutral, drive and reverse, so ye i think you can

1 - 10 of 10 Posts