Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I Test drove a manual version on Saturday and was very impressed.

I would love to hear from any owners of the ASG model to have their personal opinions as an auto would be my preference having had only auto's for several years now. Some advice before I take the plunge and order an UP (auto or manual) would be appreciated, many thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi exdaihatsu Ive got a Skoda Citigo manual which is the same gearbox as the up. I find the manual gearbox very smooth on my car and easy to use - far better than the AYGO i owned before. I've not driven an ASG but there are discussions on the site about it - I have read an article about it I think it was in WHATCAR? and they said that it is quite jerky and slow to catch up with the gears - but I suppose it all depends on your driving style and what you are used to from other vehicles - you may well find the UP! ASG a very nice drive - I hope so!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
We have an Up ASG on order, as we currently drive an Aygo Auto (same principle as ASG - clutchless manual). If you have been driving ordinary autos previously, you will notice a difference. It took us a little while to get used to it. The key to smooth ASG gear changes is to try and anticipate when the box is going to change up. If you come of the gas for a second at that time, it is not that "jerky" at all. I would not go back to a manual now especially if most of the driving is in a urban environment. If you do take a test drive in an ASG, do not be put off by the difference you are used to. Good luck!
Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Truth-seeker is absolutely right. The ASG is an automated clutch not automatic gearbox. When changing gear in a manual car you would not keep your foot on the gas. The same principle applies to the ASG. I am sure you will enjoy your new Up!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi guys from what yous have said about ASG you find them a really nice drive - I'm gonna persuade my girlfirend to pop down to VW and try one this weekend i think now - I like the sound ofhow it all works and if it makes her a smoother driver then perhaps she will need to order one for herself as her 10 year old focus has seen better days and time for a change!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have had automatics for the last fifteen years and would not go back to manual drive. Don't forget that if you so desire you can manually change gear in an ASG. it is also worth thinking of cruise control to complete the package.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thats true - I think it will be well worth some serious thought to be honest - especially combined with cruise control like you say - deffo a call to VW and a test drive this weekend I think!!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The up! ASG has not been that wellreceivedthough, seems the software is too keen to keep it in the wrong gear and blunt performance. Fine if you want steady progress but be a little more spirited and the car starts to bog down and end up using manual overide. Although that does partly defeat the object of ASG. So a good test drive is a must, as will not be tooeveryone'staste. For me it took away some of the fun of driving the up! although if I was just in stop/start traffic it would be fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think we'll give it a good test drive and i will post at the weekend how we felt about it - will be interesting - knowing me i'll probably end up ordering one!!!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Couldn't disagree more jezyg. Have you driven an ASG for any length of time. When necessary I use kick down and find the Up very responsive and often leaving others behind. I have know idea what you mean by being bogged down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree 100% with what Beevee has written in this thread.

We are in the year 2013, not 1970. Get the ASG. It's not anything like the DSG but it's still great compared to changing manually during traffic, red lights etc. in the city. It's very responsive with kick down. I had no problems overtaking in 110-130kmt (70-80mph) with an overloaded up! (both roof box and car loaded to the max) last weekend.

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
592 Posts
I actually tend to use the manual option when I am driving any distance (no jerking at all then), and switch to auto in traffic........so the best of both worlds. The magazines said the same about the Toyota Aygo MMT auto (Multi Mode Transmission) - jerky etc, but in the 2 years we have owned it is "almost" as good as our previous Polo DSG if you drive quite sedately. I am not expecting the Up ASG to act any differently, and I think the pros outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Beevee said:
Couldn't disagree more jezyg. Have you driven an ASG for any length of time. When necessary I use kick down and find the Up very responsive and often leaving others behind. I have know idea what you mean by being bogged down.

Yep I have driven it and found it bluntedperformance theminuteyou started to press on alittle, fine inmanualbut far too slowwittedand keen to stay in lower gears. Kickdown also seemed a tad on the slow side. By bogged down I mean became less responsive and needed more throttle as it was in a too higher gear.

I think it depends what you have drivepreviously, I have driven DSG and they were more reactive and would consider. Also driven a F20 BMW 116i with there new auto which was excellent, smooth and was much better at finding the right gear than myself. For me the up! stays at its best in manual, not knocking the auto as it is good, but for me took the shine off the way the up! drives.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have previously owned a vectra 2.2, BMW five series 2.5 and BMW one series 2.0. I find the Up! ASG a pleasure to drive but with slightly less acceleration. All were automaticsEdited by: Beevee

·
Registered
592 Posts
ASG - 3Manual - 1

ASG wins!

Joking apart - if you need an auto then go for it, but if you don't then stick to a manual. It's not as if the UP is a speed machine anyway...will have to wait for the GT to rectify that.

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my book ASG wins, I've driven traditional automatics for the last 25 years, and nothing would get me back in a manual. I was a bit sceptical, and required a long test drive before deciding for the ASG, but was convinced finally by it's performance. By now I love it (after one week!)

Edited by: Pif

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's good to read some people are happy with their ASG up!s but I suppose it's what you're used to - or whether you're prepared to accept this form of "automated" manual gearbox. Anyone uncertain as to whether it's really for you it's recommended to read the various road tests in the likes of What Car and Autocar (readily accessible on line) - where the ASG doesn't fair too well.
Opinions aside, I remember reading somewhere that VW are working on a proper DSG for the up! And we're looking towards the end of the year for its release. Anone else heard of this?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Pif said:
In my book ASG wins, I've driven traditional automatics for the last 25 years, and nothing would get me back in a manual. I was a bit sceptical, and required a long test drive before deciding for the ASG, but was convinced finally by it's performance. By now I love it (after one week!)
Absolutely right. There is no substitute for a good test drive. Don't take any notice of magazine reports which tend to compare ASG with top of the range automatics or thow away comments from the uninitiated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This thread seems to have ended up as theusualauto/manualdiscussionsame as petrol v diesel debate. Seems just like the derv debate if you have one it is great if you don't it is awful and anyone dare say anything different you are swotted away

I stick with myopinion on ASG, is not good enough. Better than some auto's but worst than others at a similar level of sophistication. Hard to say if it is the auto itself, engine combo or just the software but just did not drive as nice as I thought it would.The best advice by theinitiatedis to take a long test drive. I will add I am biased towards manual for any car although driven some decent autos over the years.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Barnacle Bob said:
Opinions aside, I remember reading somewhere that VW are working on a proper DSG for the up! And we're looking towards the end of the year for its release. Anone else heard of this?

There was a rumour last year about a DSG equipped Up but the general consensus was that it would be too expensive to develop it for the car. I did think at the time that the Up GT would have a DSG option but there has been no mention of this so far.

The cheapest car in the VW range with DSG is the Polo at £14k+. This car comes fitted with the old 1.4 litre engine though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts