Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just joined forum. I am about to take delivery of my 5 door silver move up ASG tomorrow and reading all the bad reviews about the ASG. does anyone have good experience that could share or will I be looking to trade in sooner than expected. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
only kept mine 6 months I found it to hesitant in auto that is the reason I got rid buy the manual its a lot safer you might find it fun dicing with traffic I didn't

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi. Hope you enjoy your new ASG Up! Drive it for yourself and make your own mind up. If you like to pull out in front of fast moving traffic you might have a problem. If you drive sensibly you won't. When you are stationary put the handbrake on instead of being lazy and holding it on the footbrake and you will find the car reacts quicker when you want to pull away. Learn what the ASG can do and you will have lots of fun with it but if you are an impatient driver you might get frustrated. Oops light blue touch paper and retire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 19 month old up is again inthe garage for ASG problems, main dealer is having a problem with a fix and has had to contact VW Germany.Not impressed thinking of selling

·
Registered
23 Posts
As Beevee said try it I'm not sure if the same applies but when I got my used one I had 30 days or 1000 miles to decide or I could give it back also I had an auto as a curtesy car and yes it does lurch a bit when changing up but after getting use to it the auto felt a little more nipper than my manual

·
Super Moderator
1,040 Posts
The ASG gearbox is NOT an automatic, it is a clutchless manual gearbox. The don't creep like an auto does, and you'll need to adjust your driving style to suit, ie take your foot off the accelerator when its changing gear.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Is HonestJohn talking about the same thing when he wrote on 24 Oct 2014 "Do not choose an automated manual because they can be unpleasant to
drive and become expensively unreliable after a few years. Do not choose
a VAG DSG or s-tronic because they can hesitate when accelerating out
of sideroads and the DSG-7s have had some very serious problems"

I gather our local VW Dealership will only obtain to order but not stock the 'auto'. I had to go to the Skoda dealer to try one!

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Is HonestJohn talking about the same thing when he wrote on 24 Oct 2014 "Do not choose an automated manual because they can be unpleasant to
drive and become expensively unreliable after a few years. Do not choose
a VAG DSG or s-tronic because they can hesitate when accelerating out
of sideroads and the DSG-7s have had some very serious problems"

I gather our local VW Dealership will only obtain to order but not stock the 'auto'.  I had to go to the Skoda dealer to try one! 
I Wouldn't mind betting that Honest John has also seen the Loch Ness monster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for being late to the party but I agree with Beevee. I too was scared about the reviews for the ASG model but needed one due to shoulder problems. A year on and I love my ASG high up, driven correctly its a dream and just as nippy as a manual. I havent had any problems with mine at all and much orefer driving it to my husbands manual car. Dont believe all the damming reviews, try it for your self.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also have an ASG High Up! Model and love it so far. I think it suits the automatic driver whereas new owners who are coming from a manual gearbox background probably do find it sluggish as they may be using it as a conventional manual gearbox without the clutch. My tip is you just need to be more gentle on the accelerator as then the car works with you not against you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts