Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little up is off the vw tomorrow as it crunches in reverse. Tracking is off and slight hesitation on pulling away after a strong brake. I am now wondering if they will charge me for looking at it.any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Miaup said:
My little up is off the vw tomorrow as it crunches in reverse. Tracking is off and slight hesitation on pulling away after a strong brake. I am now wondering if they will charge me for looking at it.any ideas?
Put it into 1st before reverse then it wont crunch - always good practice with any manual gearbox. The cars are slightly camber sensitive. Is the slight hesitation on an incline - if it is then it may be the hill start assist if your car has it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been trying this but not always able to get into first. I have also tried double de clutching.the hesitation is on the flat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
They should not charge you for investigating these faults but it depends on the dealer. The problem is they have to get permission from VW to carry out warranty work and VW may not want to accept that there are UPs out there with faulty gear boxes and steering issues. I have the same model as you but up to now have not experienced any of the issues you are describing in fact the gear box is particularly smooth and quiet compared to other cars I've had. As far as putting It into 1st to assist with getting a smooth transition into reverse I've never heard of anyone having to do this in a modern gearbox, my dad used to to use this trick in his Hilman Minx 40 years ago! Ask if you can compare your car with another UP to highlight the difference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Shall see what they say tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels I shouldn't have to go into 1st to get reverse. I only had to do that with my old car with either a dodgy gear box or clutch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My car rarely goes into reverse first time - it doesn't make a noise, just won't go into gear. I have to release the clutch and try again. Second time around it goes in with no crunch - it onlt crunches if you try to rush it.

Having said all this, none of this is unusual for a front wheel drive car - to a greater or lesser extent most of those I've owned - including my daughter's current Aygo - have been prone to this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have adjusted something in the ratios. See if that helps. And as far as windscreen keep a/c on all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts