Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have recently found some pictures at the internet of some up owners, at this side of the sea, fitting some audi air vents in the up! So I began searching and found out that they are not plug and play... I believe they won’t fit as they are, but I found two shops selling “adapted” audi a3 air vents for the VW up! Asked some questions, did a bit more of reasearch and finally bought a pair for mine.

So, to get them fitting, the vents are adapted by sanding some pieces without compromising any functionality:

And this is the result:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
They look good and I bet have better adjustment for the direction of the air too. I can never get the standard ones to blow where I want them too really. Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
83 Posts
What parts need to be sanded? Interested in doing this

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What parts need to be sanded? Interested in doing this
I believe it was sanded at number 2 and chopped a bit in number 1 to make it shorter... When I putted them into place, it was still a bit tight...

The vents look great, and they few much nicer to operate than the standards

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have just tried this mod on a spare a3 vent but I could not make it short enough to fit flush with the dash.Whether the pre facelift has different trunking I can’t say but no way can I fit it to the gti.Has anyone else tried it?

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
I have just tried this mod on a spare a3 vent but I could not make it short enough to fit flush with the dash.Whether the pre facelift has different trunking I can’t say but no way can I fit it to the gti.Has anyone else tried it?
Are you comparing the dimensions with the stock up! vent? Coz that would be my first action.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The front half of the a3 vent is compatible with the up dash & would fit ok.The problem is the up ducting narrows down to app.60 mm.& the a3 vent flap section is 70mm a/c.It is a shame as these Audi vents are a well engineered product but I can’t see a way of using them but I a willing to be proved wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
The front half of the a3 vent is compatible with the up dash & would fit ok.The problem is the up ducting narrows down to app.60 mm.& the a3 vent flap section is 70mm a/c.It is a shame as these Audi vents are a well engineered product but I can’t see a way of using them but I a willing to be proved wrong.
I've seen several ups with these fitted, so it must be possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi every one, I want to do the same as you! I am totally in love with the result of the air vent of the A3 on the UP ! But when I try to buy the same air vents there si to many reference ! Which one do I choose ? 8V0820901A 24s ? 8V0820901A 16s ? 8V0820901A 21s ?

Take a look at the different size...

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've just ordered a couple of them today, from the ones I had seen on ebay and comparing them to the ones pictured here at the top of this thread, it seems there is two different designs of the "internal" part of the vent that goes into the dash. This seems to be independent of the exterior ring design.
I'll try to update when I attempt to fit mine but the one you have @lorddundee seems to be different to the type that @luisfafontes has, and yes I'm aware it has been modified.
It looks to me like the part just behind the outer ring is different possibly indicating that only one of the two variants fit. I'll wait and see when mine arrive but that's my theory for now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've just ordered a couple of them today, from the ones I had seen on ebay and comparing them to the ones pictured here at the top of this thread, it seems there is two different designs of the "internal" part of the vent that goes into the dash. This seems to be independent of the exterior ring design.
I'll try to update when I attempt to fit mine but the one you have @lorddundee seems to be different to the type that @luisfafontes has, and yes I'm aware it has been modified.
It looks to me like the part just behind the outer ring is different possibly indicating that only one of the two variants fit. I'll wait and see when mine arrive but that's my theory for now.
Which model number did you go with? 8V0820901A? Do you have a link to where you purchased?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which model number did you go with? 8V0820901A? Do you have a link to where you purchased?
Pretty sure that's the model I have ordered yes, but they haven't arrived yet so I may be wrong.
Here is one of the same type that I ordered (I got both of mine from separate ebay sellers) in the 4th picture you can see the slightly different rear section if you play a bit of spot the difference as I mentioned above, this one seems to be a closer match to the type we know fits.

Please be aware that I may be completely wrong as we haven't seen the un-modified version of the vents, but as I said I'll update when I know if mine are compatible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretty sure that's the model I have ordered yes, but they haven't arrived yet so I may be wrong.
Here is one of the same type that I ordered (I got both of mine from separate ebay sellers) in the 4th picture you can see the slightly different rear section if you play a bit of spot the difference as I mentioned above, this one seems to be a closer match to the type we know fits.

Please be aware that I may be completely wrong as we haven't seen the un-modified version of the vents, but as I said I'll update when I know if mine are compatible.
OnThe Up!

Did they fit?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts