Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I rely a lot on my Garmin and find the audio on the Navigation helpful when in town centres or tiny country lanes as it is safer to listen than to turn away from the road. Over the last two years or so, the audio in Navigation has been increasingly inconsistent, leaving me with less and less of it until last week: there was no audio on Navigation whatsoever. I spoke to Garmin and VW (UK and German Customer Services), both who played pass the parcel and referred my to my local dealership who, of course, referred me back to VW.

As a twist in the tail, apparently the company who wrote and supported the Garmin software for the unit no longer exist and VW responded to this by making absolutely no provision for supporting its customers on a part for a car which would not be even half way through its life.

I’m hoping that someone is knowledgeable enough to understand the problem and suggest a fix. I’m reluctant to reset the unit to factory settings without knowing that maps can be reinstalled. I look forward to hearing from anyone with expertise in this area. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
No idea, but if it's not working, I'd do a factory reset. The maps are just "data" and should not be affected, I assume: it's would seem unlikely to me that the most recent maps would disappear. But what have you got to lose? A far better GPS can be bought for say £75 if necessary...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea, but if it's not working, I'd do a factory reset. The maps are just "data" and should not be affected, I assume: it's would seem unlikely to me that the most recent maps would disappear. But what have you got to lose? A far better GPS can be bought for say £75 if necessary...
Thanks, Steve. I was led to believe that the software on this is different from other Garmins, so if I lost all the maps, they would not be downloadable again. Another unit might be the only way, though that would mean a new housing. I’m trying to get one from a breaker’s yard site, in the meantime. I’m really not pleased with VW abandoning customers like this. I expected more from this brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Steve. I was led to believe that the software on this is different from other Garmins, so if I lost all the maps, they would not be downloadable again. Another unit might be the only way, though that would mean a new housing. I’m trying to get one from a breaker’s yard site, in the meantime. I’m really not pleased with VW abandoning customers like this. I expected more from this brand.
I’d really like to have reassurance that a factory reset would not touch the maps. Otherwise, it’s a last resort.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Nobody can give you that - a suggested probability that it won't is as good as it gets!

Reactions: CTB10
1 - 5 of 5 Posts