Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed the following:
  • Audiotec Fisher Match M 5DSP Mk2 amplifer;
  • JL Audio C3-650 components in the front;
  • Eton PRX 170.2 co-axials in the rear;
  • JL Audio 10W1V2 sub in sealed box.
Very happy with the sound. I bought the amplifier and the rear speakers specifically for this setup, the JL Audio speakers and sub were already sat in my secret-spare-car-hi-fi cupboard in the garage where the wife doesn't look.

Very pleased with the result. Main thoughts:
  • the star of this set-up is the little Match amplifier. They are not cheap (paid a little under £400) but they are incredibly high quality with amazing DSP controls, and able to push a total of 420W RMS into 5 channels from a tiny box that will tuck away under the dash of even a tightly packaged small car like the Up;
  • the amp is able to analyse the frequency response of the outputs from the factory head unit. At low indicated volume there is a sub-80hz bass boost (of up to +5db at 40hz). This flattens out as you go through about 1/3 of max volume and then gradually becomes a sub-80 hz bass cut (of up to -5db at 40hz). Sensible enough with the factory equipment but a bit annoying when adding more powerful aftermarket amps and speakers;
  • factory head unit doesn't mangle the sound too much. You can only really tell there's a bit of degradation of the original sound when you A/B switch between that source and the digital input of the amp (the amp has an optical digital input which I fed from a Chromecast audio's mini toslink output, streaming "hi-fi" quality (i.e. CD quality FLAC) from Tidal . Having done that I decided it wasn't worth the effort of changing the head unit;
  • the UP is a difficult car to do this kind of thing to. It's tinny, there are rattles in the doors and boot, the factory door speakers are riveted in (like in all VWs), the air volume in the car is so small that bass response is hampered (30-40hz bass actually seems to become louder when you open the windows....), there is hardly any room to install amps and subs, etc etc;
  • the amp helped a lot, in that (i) it is so small you can install it up behind the glovebox, from where it is very easy to run the wiring to the factory head unit quadlock and to run separate power and ground wires (you can run the amp off the power feed in the factory loom but not at full output) and (ii) you can use the DSP to tame the treble glare that tends to come from having tweeters so close to you, and to help even out the bass response and to play with time alignment and phase so as to create a bigger soundstage than you would expect from such a small car.
Happy to answer any questions. Sorry, didn't take photos !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update on this: I have switched the front speakers to Eton POW 160.2 components. A lot cheaper than the JLs, and I prefer the sound in this particular car on the end of this head unit. Very easy on the ear, warm, not harsh etc etc. These are 3ohm and quite efficient and would work well even powered by the factory radio, even better with a proper amp. Can recommend to anyone looking to improve the factory sound:

These are suitable mounts for the woofers: CT25VW07 VW Volkswagen UP! 2011 Onwards 165mm Car Front Speaker Adapters | eBay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts