Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone from sunny queensland (when its not flooding). I have been a VW man for over 25 years but I have never owned a new one, but when my daughter got her licence she was forever 'borrowing' our car and it was time to look for her own wheels. The VW up! had only just been released in Australia so we thought we would have a test drive , both Casey and myself were impressed with the space, features and the overall feel of the car. So a few weeks later a light blue 5 door with maps and more and window tinting was delivered. Casey has a very busy social and work schedule so she has already racked up over 10,000km (6200 miles) in 3 months. The car has been faultless and averages 4.5lt/100km or roughly 65mpg and I would rather drive the up! to victoria (1100 miles) than our lowered 2008 mitsubishi lancer because it rides so well on our rubbish roads. Anyway, I thought I would see what other up! owners are up to, so thats why I'm here

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the club. So pleased you are happy with the Up! It is good to have some positive feedback to offset the moans and groans posted on this site. I am well pleased with my purchase including sound system and lighting. This is my first VW and I am impressed with the car and the Dealer support.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hello there and welcome. I've also got a light blue 5 door High Up and I love it.

As Beevee says, don't let all the whingeing poms put you off, the Up is a great little car, so good choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, although it is my daughters car I love it like its my own, and I make sure she keeps it clean and well maintained. There aren't too many on the roads in oz because we are a lazy bunch and prefer automatic gearboxes but they are not offered here because of the bad reports coming from overseas regarding smoothness etc. so VW are missing out on a lot of sales of up!s. Personally I love manuals and because I also have air-cooled dubs teaching my kids to drive a manual was a natural process. Luckily she has had only one speeding fine in the up! but she is planning on entering her car at the warwick 1/8 mile drags in october, racing against golfs,polos and other watercooled models (handicap system). :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's fantastic, I love the thought of the Up in a drag race!

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. stratcast haha I'm working away from home until next week so I'll get some picks up soon....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys, just a quick update on 'giddy'. My daughter took her up! to wipples autos in toowoomba for her first service (15,000km) and all was well. With the cap priced servicing it was a reasonable (for a factory dealer) $280. The daughter reports the engine has freed up considerably and is faster than ever which as a concerned father, is not something you really want to hear......... but all good so far. The dealer said to Casey we will see you in 12 months or so and she laughed and replied maybe 3 months! I think she is going for the worlds highest mileage up!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm the proud owner of a light blue up! In Melbourne Victoria. My previous car was a VE Commodore! Big change. The commodore was huge, fast and comfy but $120 on petrol a week was getting a bit silly. The repayments and fuel for the up! Are less than what I was spending on petrol for the Holden! Anyway, if you see a light blue with black Mags in Melbourne, that's me!

Re. The lack of an auto. VW need to slap a DSG in it regardless of whether it adds two grand to the price or not. The Inner North hipster crowd are paying over $20000 for Italian sh*tboxes (MiTo and Fiat 500). They'll fly out of the showrooms.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Really fancy the idea of Up! Drag racing... not too sure about wearing a dress tho, is it compulsory?

·
Registered
63 Posts
G'day. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the up. It's also great to see more Aussie's here. There's a good bunch in Oz that know a good thing when they see it (or drive it). I picked up mine on the weekend in Melbourne, and it's covered 650 kms already. It's been great fun so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good on ya mate. I've got almost 2k on mine now. I'm having great fun hooning it around Eltham and Warrandyte- safe in the knowledge that you can have fun in it without attracting the attention of Melbourne's over-zealous traffic cops. One thing I've noticed is that the standard steel wheels get a bit slippy on tram-tracks. So careful with them especially in the wet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cheers mate. Great to hear you're enjoying yours too. I agree about the up making a great low profile hoon car. I had a great time blasting through the twisties on the Maroondah Hwy between Healesville and Narbethong. Such a fun drive.

I haven't driven over tram tracks with it yet.I'll make sure to take some extra caution when I do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In keeping with my tradition of naming my cars, the up! has been christened "Danger Mouse"!

Anyway, I took it up to Castlemaine today and it was excellent on the freeway. When I turned on to the 'Roo infested back road to my friends house, I wondered if the city emergency braking could stop he hitting one! Made it there and back without incident! I put 15in (6in wide) Advanti alloys with sticky Hankook tyres on Danger mouse the other day. It grips like a barnacle now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Joycey, any pics of those new wheels? Casey is just waiting to wear out her stockies before we go shopping. I wouldn't like to go bigger than 15s because of our rubbish roads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have you emailing the pic from your iphone to yourself then download the pic to your desktop or wherever... then upload it via the Post Reply box ( not quick reply) ??? worked for me :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts