Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
On my Up GTI, the headlight switch remains permanently in the “On” position. When the ignition is on, the headlights are on. When the ignition is off, the headlights are off. Period.

Do people really want to replace the OEM switchgear on their new or nearly new VW with unauthenticated alternatives just so that their “hands-free” headlights will only illuminate when it’s Dark ? - If they remained illuminated when the ignition was switched off, with the obvious result of battery drain, then I could understand the logic behind the modification, but this isn’t the case.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On my Up GTI, the headlight switch remains permanently in the “On” position. When the ignition is on, the headlights are on. When the ignition is off, the headlights are off. Period.

Do people really want to replace the OEM switchgear on their new or nearly new VW with unauthenticated alternatives just so that their “hands-free” headlights will only illuminate when it’s Dark ? - If they remained illuminated when the ignition was switched off, with the obvious result of battery drain, then I could understand the logic behind the modification, but this isn’t the case.
+1 from me on this. I am going to keep leaving the lights switch in the on position and stick with the OEM switch. Might go thru a few bulbs a bit quicker but that's the only downside.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Must admit there is a lot to be said for this, particularly during the winter months when it makes sense to leave headlights on during daylight hours. Just upgraded my headlights to LEDs, makes an incredible difference to light output and shows how poor the standard halogen bulbs are.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not that I'm aware, it comes with an easy to understand setup guide in Cantonese, so it's pretty much a walk in the park

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, noob here, I’m considering adding one of the auto light switches to my GTI, i’ve been doing the same as others and leaving the switch on all the time till now which is fine tbh, the main reason i’m considering it is for coming/leaving home functionality, not so much of an issue in the summer months but during these orrible rainy nights it would be nice.

??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, noob here, I’m considering adding one of the auto light switches to my GTI, i’ve been doing the same as others and leaving the switch on all the time till now which is fine tbh, the main reason i’m considering it is for coming/leaving home functionality, not so much of an issue in the summer months but during these orrible rainy nights it would be nice.

??
Pretty sure that the coming home feature won't work since, as with your current situation, as soon as the key is removed from the ignition, there is no longer any power going to the headlights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, was under the impression that it would work after watching this video:
I know it’s a van but at the end the guy says it’ll work with any VW, oh well if it doesn’t add that feature i won’t be bothering.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmm, was under the impression that it would work after watching this video:
I know it’s a van but at the end the guy says it’ll work with any VW, oh well if it doesn’t add that feature i won’t be bothering.
I could be wrong, but it's possible that the Transporters headlights remain powered on without key in ignition?

Since the Up cuts power to lights without key I can't see how this would work?

In any case, I have one of these aftermarket Auto light switches in my Up and the coming home function doesn't work. Possibly just been set up wrong though...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
The kit I got was Chinese,you need to ‘code’ it once fitted,turn light switch from auto to main beam then back all within 1.5 seconds....worked perfectly after that ,hardest bit was deciphering the awful chinglish instructions !

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Thats the one...fitted to our amarok and my up! ! works perfectly

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
indeed, thats the one

21 - 40 of 54 Posts