Up Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I have two spare kits complete with sensors and chinglish instructions. Anyone want them ? Feel free to collect from me in CLARKSTON , Glasgow. Cost - £10 donation to British Heart Foundation , Can’t be arsed posting them!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have two spare kits complete with sensors and chinglish instructions. Anyone want them ? Feel free to collect from me in CLARKSTON , Glasgow. Cost - £10 donation to British Heart Foundation , Can’t be arsed posting them!
My daughter lives in EK, planning on popping through on Tuesday, I will PM you and see if we can find a mutually convenient time.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
No probs well fan. 1 reserved for you

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I might move mine to here. I find it doesn't always come on as soon as I'd like (i.e I think it's low enough lighting to warrant headlights but the sensor doesn't)

I wonder if the dots in the glass help fool the sensor into coming on a bit earlier.
Works perfectly for me. Dots in glass don't affect it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Works perfectly for me. Dots in glass don't affect it
Great all installed, put the sensor at the top of the windscreen, after running the cable (invisibly) up the A pillar.

Question: is there a way of altering the sensitivity ?

I did the coding step in under 1.5 seconds, and it gave me three beeps to say"thanks" but can I make it come on at slightly darker ambient light ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How have you guys removed the headlight switch?

I watched a video where they pushed the switch in and turned it from off to the sidelights and it slid right out. After watching that video I went out and tried it myself so I could see what type of replacement needed for my mii but the bugger wouldn’t budge. I did it exactly like in the video and even pulled the silver trim piece around the switch from pulling it as hard as I could.

·
Registered
2018 black 3 door up gti, 1971 Porsche 911E
10 Posts
As mentioned earlier, across on the A2 forum, you can find a great installation guide, including how to alter the settings. Had one on mine and it worked perfectly, the coming home/leaving lights were great this time of year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my kit off eBay, there are 2 versions depending on which plug you need. Early Ups use a large 17 pin connector that looks like this:

View attachment 4490

This goes into a box that controls the auto lights and has a light sensor wire that you run somewhere on the dash. You then plug the output wire into the headlamp switch that comes in the kit and it's done. The kit looks like this

View attachment 4491

On my GTI, I bought an earlier kit thinking it would be the same, but VW have changed the connector plug onto the headlight switch to a small 10 pin plug that looks like this

View attachment 4492

So I bought this kit instead

View attachment 4493

Run the light sensor to somewhere on the dash, plug it all in and away you go. All lights work exactly like they should do, including cornering fogs so no problems what-so-ever.
Hi,

sorry to resurect an old thread, I'm sat with the switch from my UP! Gti in my lap & some verniers. Non of the ebay kits seem to exactly match the measurements of my switch,
I see you have a Gti the same year as mine. If you still have the link could I beg you to share it please? 🙏

Many thanks.

Marc.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
Hi,

sorry to resurect an old thread, I'm sat with the switch from my UP! Gti in my lap & some verniers. Non of the ebay kits seem to exactly match the measurements of my switch,
I see you have a Gti the same year as mine. If you still have the link could I beg you to share it please? 🙏

Many thanks.

Marc.
You need the Mk6 Golf compatible switch, VW haven't changed the switch at all over the run of the GTI.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts