Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this it looks good for protecting the new paintwork and it's not too expensive.
Cant see much point in polishing(which removes paint)a new car straightaway.
There's just too many polishes & waxes on the market although Autoglym is recommended by Aston Martin and Jaguar so it should be ok for our little UP!s

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use it, and I think it's great. Plus it's very easy to apply and buff off.

I know it works because the first time I used it I applied it over a small water stain that had got on the bonnet after I used the super resin polish. Anyway, once I buffed it all off, the water stain was still there and had been sealed underneath!
I just used a bit more polish to get it out, then re-protected it again.

It's best to leave for 3 or 4 hours after application before buffing. I just put mine in the garage.

If your applying it to a non polished surface, then just make sure there are no water marks etc..Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you mean hand buffing or with a proper electric buffing machine? I'm a hand buffer and would be a bit frightened to use an electric one in case I did something wrong and damaged the paintwork.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I hand buff only too. Never used a machine so not sure if they get better results..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
A machine will 100% give you better results. With a DA and the right polishes you can remove swirl marks and imperfections. I have just got myself a DAS-6 and the Auto Finesse polish range to give her a good going over before being treated to some Swissvax :D
I have and do use the extra gloss stuff with a hand polish and I really rate it for cost/ease of use/results all combined. I think it's a great value product.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
You'll find that your 'brand new' paintwork will be covered in swirls and scratches anyway, VW don't have the time to hand finish the paint on every car, plus the PDI usually includes a valet to get off any muck from the car sitting in transport, and those guys aren't particularly careful either!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As we are on the subject of waxing what do you think of Autoglym Aqua Wax............ has anyone used it ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
At Toyota Manufacturing where I work, every car has inspection done before it leaves the paint shop and another 8 people inspecting at the very end of the production line. Every car is inspected all over for paint finish on 400 cars per shift, so 800 a day. They have to flag up polish marks, swirls, chips, seeds, orange peel etc, etc.
VW must also have similar paint inspection at their plant, so there should be no paint issues. I spent 30 minutes going over my car when I collected mine and paint inspection and panel gaps were one of the main areas I looked at. If I had found any issues, I would have got the dealer to sort it out straight away.

Matt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Derkie54 said:
As we are on the subject of waxing what do you think of Autoglym Aqua Wax............ has anyone used it ?
I use it every wash apart from when I'm detailing it! Its brilliant stuff

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Mine has swirls and orange peel. Paint these days isn't what it used to be, it's much thinner and the general accepted finish quality is poor.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Davec86 said:
Mine has swirls and orange peel. Paint these days isn't what it used to be, it's much thinner and the general accepted finish quality is poor.
It is true that the old 2 pack gave a better finish, but due to it's V.O.C's it was dumped. Now it's water based paint that's used and it's certainly more difficult to get a good finish with it, but at Toyota, the standards are higher and tighter now than when we used to use 2 pack on the old Carina E.

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts