Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the weather was a bit overcast this weekend I thought I
would treat my up! to a coat of Autoglym HD Wax.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I treated the car in the usual way (snow foam, wash (two
bucket method), clay, repeat wash) and applied a coat of the HD. I have not
used this before but it was easy to apply and buff off, so was quite impressed.
I also removed all the wheels and treated them with a wheel sealant to help with
the dreaded brake dust.

Overall the car looked excellent, but again due to the
overcast weather there weren't any good picture opportunities, but on Sunday
afternoon we had a rain shower which left some great beading on the car roof.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Looking good

Haven't had any rain since we used the HD wax, just a lot of dust as the farmers are cutting the wheat fields
not good on a black car

·
Registered
532 Posts
You cleaners are great. I'm ashamed to say i rarely clean my car.

The most embarrassing moment was when going down the motorway I noticed that three snails had hitched a lift on my nearside wing mirror. I evicted them 70 miles from home. hee, hee chewy little swine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I only really got into cleaning/detailing when I bought my current (Smart) car. Now I find it relaxing. I wash mine and the GFs car every week (mine sometimes gets a wipe over mid week), and have even washed family members cars too. But if I want to have real fun, then the machine polisher comes out

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think I would rather go places in my car rather than clean it.

I used tosee a neighbour clean and polish his car for hours, EVERY weekend, while his kids sat bored watching him. I just couldn't understand why they could not just jump in the car and go to the seaside or something. Why the obsession with a clean and shiny car?

Different strokes for different folks of course...

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
22 Posts
idletony said:
bucket method), clay, repeat wash) and applied a coat of the HD.
Honestly, to use the word 'usual' here is silliest thing I've read in a while. Nobody (in the real world where I live) washes their car with the 'two bucket method', nobody uses a 'clay', and nobody washes it again at the end. They just give it quick wash with a bucket and sponge, dry it if they have another 10 mins to spare, and then get on with something else more pressing.Why not just drive the **** thing? You car will be dirty again on it's first journey, and all that effort will be wasted. I'm sure you'll feel good on the first 10 mins of your first drive, but if you are this obsessed you'll just make yourself sad by getting road filth on it. And probably cause an accident by avoiding puddles that might spoil all your good work.'Detailing' cars that get used for day to day driving is the biggest waste of time I've ever heard of.Don't get me wrong, whatever makes you happy, go for it, but you must understand that this is not 'usual' in any way...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think its obvious he is implying its the usual method for him, as he must know he is in the minority for that routine.

The car looks really great idletony! There seems to be a few more threads recently about detailing cars, so I thought I would try it too! We bought some of the recomended stuff, Shampoo, AG super resin, and Meguires wax.

We did the 'usual' :) 2 bucket method with a sheepskin mitt, and waxed it a couple of hours before it started raining. and the wax made such a big difference!

Since we spent a bit more effort with cleaning, and sealing/waxing we know it will be a lot more protected, and easier to clean next time, as well as looking great!

Ben

·
Registered
265 Posts
robwoods said:
idletony said:
bucket method), clay, repeat wash) and applied a coat of the HD.
Honestly, to use the word 'usual' here is silliest thing I've read in a while. Nobody (in the real world where I live) washes their car with the 'two bucket method', nobody uses a 'clay', and nobody washes it again at the end. They just give it quick wash with a bucket and sponge, dry it if they have another 10 mins to spare, and then get on with something else more pressing.Why not just drive the **** thing? You car will be dirty again on it's first journey, and all that effort will be wasted. I'm sure you'll feel good on the first 10 mins of your first drive, but if you are this obsessed you'll just make yourself sad by getting road filth on it. And probably cause an accident by avoiding puddles that might spoil all your good work.'Detailing' cars that get used for day to day driving is the biggest waste of time I've ever heard of.Don't get me wrong, whatever makes you happy, go for it, but you must understand that this is not 'usual' in any way...
I understand that people that 'detail' cars are in the minority, but amazingly I do drive my car as well as cleaning it. I don't obsess over it nor do I worry about getting it dirty. And no I don't avoid puddles, nor do I see any connection between how clean my car is and how safe a driver I am. I happen to enjoy washing my car, therefore I don't see any time spent on it wasted.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Agreed. Cleaning and caring for machines/cars is very satisfying to some of us, just as much as using the machine/car. Good job, idletony

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I love cleaning mine.. Nothing better than having a clean car in the Garage all ready to use..
The top wax seems very expensive though. I can't really justify £30 odd for HD wax, much as I would like to try it.

I use Autoglym Super Resin and then the extra gloss protection.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea we couldnt justify £30 for HD wax as well, someone else recommended Meguiars, so we had a look at that.

£7 from popular auction site for - Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 3 Carnauba Wax

Works really well so far, the water beads just as it does on Idletony's car.

Ben

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
All I would say is that I dont find that the SRP lasts that long and at £10 a pop, the HD wax definitely lasts over three times longer than the SRP. Different product I know, but just trying to clarify prices. Sometimes products that are initially more expense are cheaper in the long run

Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh dear! I seem to have opened up a can of worms here!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Can I just say that both me and my wife have full time jobs
and we both work very hard to buy nice things like new cars and I intend to
look after them in the best way possible, hence ""my""� usual cleaning routine
which has been proven to drastically reduce the ""swirling""� effect on the
paintwork. One of my work colleagues has a very nice Audi A4 Avant in black and
it looked stunning when new (less than 12 months ago). He has it washed every
week at the local ""hand wash""� garage and in the sunlight the paint is now just
a mass of swirls and its definitely reduced the overall finish of the car, but it's
a company car and he is just happy to have a clean car every weekend without
the hassle of doing it himself, like I say, each to their own.

But please don't think I spend all weekend cleaning my car
then let it sit on the drive because I am scared of getting it dirty, as you
are very much mistaken. Both cars are used daily come rain or shine and it is a
rare occurrence if I wash any of the cars mid-week (remove of bird poo is a
good reason due to its paint damaging properties). Despite my cleaning methods I
still have sufficient leisure time to drive to the coast ect (see previous
posts in the gallery).

Please remember I am not doing all this under duress, I
actually enjoy cleaning the cars (& bikes) and whilst I know some people
would find this hard to believe, I find it quite therapeutic after a week at
work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice work Tony. If they don't like it they should go and tell someone that gives a monkeys. Can't wait for one of their threads so I can come along and c&@p on it. It's your time and your money. You do want you want with it ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I snow foam, use the two bucket method. And used cley at the weekend, followed by a polish and wax... I snow foam, rinse, wash with a lambs wool mitt with shampoo and rinse and pat dry with a water magnet... All sound normal to me!

Meguiars is great... I had my bonnet machine polished at the weekend to remove/ reduce some **** cat scratches...

The detailer finished off with carpro reload spray sealant... If you think meguiars is good this stuff is amazing... Water just sheets off as you hose it!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
104 Posts
We find that the JOFS Classic Finishing Wax is brilliant. Bird pooh stains easily removed with this stuff where other waxes fail
The water beading is as good if not beter than Autoglym!

·
Registered
421 Posts
My car cleaning routine is jet wash to clear the crud off then home to drag a bucket along the estate to the car park, wash with AG shampoo, drag another bucket across the estate to rince and then yellow cardboard wipe thing from the Augoglym bag and a wipe over with a microfiber cloth.

You can have a nice car with a drive and a hose pipe!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is that without a drive and hose pipe Zumba?

Look up ONR cleaning or Optimum no rinse Clicky here Zumba for some great single bucket cleaning tips... Was when the water shortage was on... Before all the liquid sunshine fell!]Edited by: Markmod1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts