Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad stuff when you have ordered your up with automatic like me :( let's hope it's because they are used to driving with conventional automatic transmissions

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/0D5239B3C0801169CA2579BE00811D93

Even more, we missed the Skoda's five-speed manual since the only Up five-door
available to sample on our brief test in Germany was the ""˜ASG'
semi-automatic.

Cheaper and lighter than the ""˜DSG' dual-clutch
transmission found in most other contemporary VWs because ""it won't fit""�, the
ASG is based on a compact manual gearbox produced by Skoda.

With a single
clutch (but no clutch pedal) and two electric motors to shift gears, it adds
less than 30kg, offers ""˜Drive', ""˜Reverse' and ""˜Neutral' as well as sequential
shifting, and is fitted with a longer fifth-gear ratio for slightly lower engine
revs when cruising.

While that may sound like a recipe for some F1-style
paddle-shift fun, the only way you can manually change gears is via the floor
lever that we found to be a tad too far away for comfort.

There's no
sugar coating this: the Up automatic ""“ sampled in more powerful 55kW/95Nm
1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol guise ""“ is a shadow of the brilliant manual
gearbox.

The ASG is less than smooth at take-off unless you are
consciously feather-footed with the throttle, up-changes continue to be slow and
jerky, and response times when needing to overtake feel terrifyingly
tardy.

And the slightly higher top ratio sees the Up plodding along with
a less-than-appealing exhaust resonance for company.

At least the many
necessary automatic downshifts are accompanied by a blipping
throttle.

You can change gears manually, but you might as well save the
disappointment and upwards of $1000 and settle for the exceptionally good
manual.

found another review too

<div ="quote">"But, our main complaint about the up! is its sole auto
option -- not a true auto or even CVT, but a robotised or automated
single-clutch manual. Hesitant at parking speeds, the 'ASG' gearbox's
performance is better in traffic but gearchanges are deliberate and, frankly,
slow enough to be ponderous. And the gearbox is also too eager to get into top
gear. Once there it takes a decent old shove on the accelerator to get it to
kick back down when you want acceleration."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, i think they credit skoda with the ASG transmission on a false basis, as far as i know skoda just has the factory that produces MQ100 & SQ100 trannys

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an automatic VW Lupo for 15 years and thought I'd be safe buying the new Up! with automatic transmission. I only wish I'd read the reviews on this site before I'd signed on the dotted line. The automatic transmission is dreadful. With the car in reverse it rolls forward on the incline of the hill where I park outside my house: you have to find the biting point and control the car with the handbrake, not what I had expected in an automatic car. Going uphill is a bit of a lottery as it's difficult to find the correct pressure to put on the accelerator: go too slow and you judder up the hill as the car shifts laboriously through the gears: put more pressure on the accelerator and the next thing you know you are firing up the hill far too fast. The response time to pressure on the accelerator can be slow or erratic when the car is cold. What a disappointment! This car is a shadow of my little Lupo. VW should hang their heads in shame. I paid good money for what has turned out to be a third rate vehicle.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The Up! ASG is not an automatic transmission and requires a different driving technique. Fortunately my wife had been using a Peugeot 107 auto for five years before I bought my up so I had a fair idea how it would perform. If you have never driven a manual car I suppose you would be disappointed. Having said that I am extremely pleased with my purchase and do not understand the negative feedback. The lesson probably is research before you buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes you are correct, the message is to get on to the Internet to find out what other people are saying about the car you wish to buy: I only looked at general comments about the Up! before purchasing it as I was confident that VW would not fail me. I can use a hand-brake but that is not the major problem that I have with the Up! Going uphill is, as I said a lottery and although I have been driving the Up! since August I still cannot find the correct technique to get the car to go uphill smoothly and if I happen to meet another car coming downhill and have to stop and start uphill again, I'm never sure how the car is going to react: the stop, start effect of the gear changes is very disconcerting. The car judders at times and my driving experience with it is a big disappointment. My observations are mirrored in the comments by 'methylen'. I have been driving for over 40 years and have some experience with other cars including my wonderful VW Lupo. I wish I'd never bought the Up! but I'm stuck with it now.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Jane. I'm sorry I don't live closer to you to be of more help. The ASG unlike other automatics does not creep in gear. Whenever you stop on an incline it is best to apply the handbrake. Like driving a manual car you need to wait until the clutch bites before releasing the handbrake to move off. With practise it is possible to use hill start assist but for now I would advise using the handbrake. I hope you can get the hang of it, happy motoring.

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
I got to drive an ASG Up yesterday for the first time, and I did find it a little odd that it didn't creep like an auto does, but once I realised that its not an automatic, I was fine!I think half the problem is that people expect it to act like an automatic gearbox, but its an automated manual gearbox with no clutch pedal, therefore needs to driven like a manual really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what you mean by 'needs to be driven like a manual'. I appreciate that I have to make much more use of the hand-brake to control the car and that the biting point has to be found before moving forward or into reverse. I have an accelerator, hand-brake and foot-brake to control the car, as I would with the 'full automatic' and I am careful to find the biting point so that I don't roll in the wrong direction when moving off. Going up a hill is the main worry, sometimes there's no problem and other times I judder forward as the gears change, slowing the car down when I want it to move forward smoothly. I have to be careful not to press the accelerator too hard as the car moves slowly through the gears and will suddenly shoot forward at an increased speed. Parking can be more difficult and I don't have anything like the control that I had in my Lupo. Have you read the comments and links posted by methylen?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have read the comments and links posted by methylen. I have had my ASG for over two years and covered 20,000 miles. I disagree with his findings and have not experienced any problems with my car. Parking is no problem and the car performs well. As has already been said it is all down to the way the car is driven.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Beevee Although I do not get my ASG UP for another week I have read all the comments for and aganst the ASG gearbox. mine I hope will be the latest one in the country with all the latest updates applied so will give a full report then . I feel the same as you though it will be the way it is driven that dictates the way the gearbox feels . I have updated my details below with ASG in readyness for the big day. Mike.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Mike. I hope you are pleased with your Up! when you get it. Going gently for the first 1000 miles will help everything to bed in. If you have driven traditional automatics you will notice a difference but I'm sure you will enjoy driving it. Happy motoring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts