Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be a few UP! automatic owners out there.
What are they like are they easy to drive and reliable ?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mines perfect!! Better than my old golfs dsg box (personal opinion) if selecting reverse from drive quickly it panics and stays in neutral so sometimes it's faster to take your time haha! Now that I have done over 1500 miles its bedding in nicely! Don't get me wrong at first it was a little sluggish and clunky but it's right now

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have up! with ASG and I like it more and more every day.I drove only 300km for now and its
It is slow to gear changing, but its good to easy, relaxing drive. ASG changes gearsat low rpm's to save the fuel. It is good transmition for small car with little economic motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, Driving almost 6500km with my Citigo 75hp ASG. it's greatalthoughchanging 1st to 2nd is something you can't ignore BUT for this great 21.5KM/L i can take this gear with no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have been driving my new Up with ASG for a few hundred miles now. I bought the automatic despite the reviews as have knee problems that make a manual shift uncomfortable.

With my limited experience I think the key is controlling the throttle, if you lift off slightly as the revs get to a gear change (as you naturally do with a manual) you can really smooth out the changes. I haven't got it right all the time but am getting better and it is a smooth ride.

Previous poster said his was clunky at first but now fine. I reckon just naturally got used to controlling it as above.

This is why testers who only have limited exposure to the vehicle seem to give it a bad write up.

Interested in anyone elses experiences. If you want an auto don't be put off - I think all this makes it more fun to drive and get right.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just hit 1800miles in the Move Up and the auto box has failed. Dealer has supplied courtesy car so all good so far. They have had the car a few days now and can't seem toidentify the fault. Will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
daisywheel said:
Just hit 1800miles in the Move Up and the auto box has failed. Dealer has supplied courtesy car so all good so far. They have had the car a few days now and can't seem toidentify the fault. Will keep everyone posted

Oooo no what do you mean failed?? Where there any signs of it failing we should look out for?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just come across this on the VW website:

The ASG is an automated manual transmission that combines excellent fuel economy with driving ease.Just like with a conventional automatic transmission, gears can be changed automatically by switching the gear lever to the drive (D) position, but it's also possible to change gears manually by moving the gear to the ""+""�or ""-"" positions.When the drive position is selected, the gear change timings will depend on driving style and acceleration speed. Because the ASG is a single-clutch gearbox (just like a manual gearbox), torque to the driving wheels must be interrupted during a gear change. This is most noticeable during maximum acceleration: a lighter throttle load produces a smoother shift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts