Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Having had our new gearbox fitted my partner and I decided to go for a drive to wales.
On our 5 hour return trip (there were loads of roadworks!) we had a nice average MPG to show.

Also like to say the tyre changing kit is all there, and works really well! We had a nice opportunity to test it all our in a rainy backroad when we had a puncture.

If this is 800miles onwards (new gear box fitted at 260 miles) I would imagine it still needs more wearing in, so maybe avg MPG will go up more.

Hows everyones average MPG working out so far?

Ben

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's good to hear that your car has been fixed - enjoy.

Anyway, on a recent 120 mile trip I got an average of 67.2mpg. I must admit this figure was achieved by travelling at a rather sedate pace due to my mother being in the car (think Driving Miss Daisy speeds).

I have not done a 'brim to brim' test of my mpg figure yet but think the Maps & More value will be a good indication of what can be achieved.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Checking at every fill up and averaging a very stable 5lt/100km (30lt purchased at 600km).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
move up! said:
Did they find out what the problem was with the original gearbox?
They said something was wrong with the "synching teeth", I have no idea about the gearbox, I hope it could mean more to you.

Gear box has been fine since the new one put in, we also get the 2 clunks now, (one when you put it in gear, and the other when the engine is re-engaged witht he clutch.) I assume these will work themselves out.

Ben

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks like you're just across from the Lidl on Chesterfield Road there Ben?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi glad to here all is going well.
I do a 30 mile round trip to work and back
To work I get 75mpg
Going home 55 mpg
So 65 say, about same as you, but I have blue motion not been too impresed with the bmt to be honest.

·
Registered
432 Posts
@variable, I believe that the synchromesh matches the speed of driving (power delivering) cog to the speed of the next driven (power receiving) cog when you change gears, to avoid a dreadful crunch. In the old days, drivers had to blip the throttle to match the speeds just before they engaged gears. Someone may be able to explain it better than me.

@spud, Could you tell us more? The BMT is the one I am interested in, so just curious to hear why you're not impressed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ah, yes, the wonders of double-declutching! Something my Dad tried to teach me, but I never got the hang of. I do use the "power shift", where I blip the throttle on a down-shift to help match the engine and gear speeds, but that's it for me.

Nick

·
Registered
604 Posts
@move up!
I am averaging high 50s mpg don't seem to be getting any bluemotion benefits except the stop start at the lights, I have completely changed my driving style since getting my up! I used to be very heavy on the power and braking hard, now I'm pulling away nice and slow and coming to a stop gradgually, my think blue trainer is almost allways in the blue but I don't seem to get the high mpg I was expecting.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Oh... I still intend to be heavy on the feet! :)

Does the think blue trainer go red? If so, I will keep it red always!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
spud said:
@move up!
I am averaging high 50s mpg don't seem to be getting any bluemotion benefits except the stop start at the lights, I have completely changed my driving style since getting my up! I used to be very heavy on the power and braking hard, now I'm pulling away nice and slow and coming to a stop gradgually, my think blue trainer is almost allways in the blue but I don't seem to get the high mpg I was expecting.
What sort of journeys do you do? Short ones are not good, and lots of stops due to junctions is bad too. You must be getting benefits from BlueMotion, and it would be worse without.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Leif said:
What sort of journeys do you do? Short ones are not good, and lots of stops due to junctions is bad too. You must be getting benefits from BlueMotion, and it would be worse without.
Mainly used for commuting to and from work
Leave house 6:40
30 roads downhill for 5 min
A167 40 speed limit only one set of traffic light
Duel carrage way 70 for a mile the 50 limit for 7 mile ish
Motor way 70 limit for 2 mile then drops to 50
arrive at work 7:10
Total 17 mile

Very light traffic all the way, very few stop
Same but in reverse on way home exept 5 mins stuck in traffic leaving team vally industrial est

So don't understand why not better

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can only think the 70 on the motorway might bring it down a bit, you're driving on good roads by the sounds of it.

I've got a 75 and manage to get 50mpg on a 20 minute drive with hills but max 30mph

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I agree with Zumba, but I would have expected more from the BMT than what I get with a 75. Actually much more, but to be honest I didn't really look into the reported increased mpg as I couldn't change my engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea i would expect the BMT to be getting better too. While on the flat motorways I was getting around 80mpg (with the cruise control on :D) so that was pushing up my overall average.

Ben

·
Registered
432 Posts
@spud: yes, sounds like you're driving well for economy. Can't think why the economy isn't better. There are a few on here who're getting very high mpg figures.
AFAIK all VW BMT cars only have a subset of the full Bluemotion features. The VW site says the up! BMT has low rolling resistance tyres, stop-start and an intelligent alternator, which draws very little current when accelerating and cruising, then much more when decellerating. The full Bluemotion cars, like the Polo, Golf, etc. have these three things plus lower suspension, belly pans, aerodynamic tweaks to the grill, side skirts, etc. Coming soon is cylinder de-activation, where half of the cylinders are shut off when cruising. I'm not sure how they'd do that with a 3-cylinder engine, though

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
move up! said:
Coming soon is cylinder de-activation, where half of the cylinders are shut off when cruising. I'm not sure how they'd do that with a 3-cylinder engine, though
They'd shut down one cylinder. But perhaps that might cause issues with vibrations? Apparently some cars can shut down one, two or more cylinders to save fuel. I must admit I do not understand how it saves fuel. You reduce the cylinders, you reduce the power, so you need surely to increase the fuel per cylinder. Hopefully someone can explain. Perhaps fuel burns very inefficiently when very lean i.e. low fuel to air ratio, so reducing the cylinders allows a richer mixture in the active cylinders?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
spud said:
So don't understand why not better
Perhaps BMT is not very effective. Your mpg would be quite good for a non BMT Up given your journeys. I assume you keep a decent distance behind the car in front, to avoid braking?

Perhaps it is just your route! Maybe that 5 minutes in traffic hits your consumption figures. Dunno! The forum's trained killer (1) used to be a IAM instructor so might know.

(1) Just kidding Bingalau (hope I remembered the name).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts