Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I ordered a High UP!6 weeks ago ang VW expect to build it in about2 weeks with possible delivery in July. No firm date yet though.

No complaints from meas I was toldapprox.3 months wait when I ordered.

Looking forward to the car which will replace my Smart 84 Passion.

I know the UP! will not be as quick as the turbo charged Smart but I expect it to be better in other ways.

i.e. more comfortable ride, better fuel economy (The Smart's normisaround 45mpg which is well below manufacturers claims) and higher equipment levels.

As an existingVW owner with a T4 camper I know the standard of service is much higher than Mercedes Benz (Smart)who in my experiencehave no idea about customer care.

I look forward to being a member of this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
hi and welcome!

hope you enjoy the forum, tell us more about the specs of your ordered car :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy being a member, we're a friendly bunch here.

What colour did you order?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi There and welcome<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Yet another (soon to be) ex Smart owner, looks like VW have
pinched quite a few now. I will agree with most of the things you say about the
Smart, especially the MPG which is way off the manufacturer's claims. There is
a video on youtube where a guy drives a Smart fortwo from London to Edinburgh
on a single tank, how the **** he managed it I do not know, I think my car
would have run out before it got past Scotch Corner! No doubt the engine will
have been doctored by Smart to run lean and the tyres pumped up to 5 bar
perhaps?

I order my high up! 25/04/12 with a confirmed
build week 25, so should take delivery mid July (hopefully)

·
Registered
432 Posts
As an ex Smart ForTwo owner, I can confirm that the fuel consumption is pretty poor for such a small car. 46 mpg, driving smoothly, and 53 mpg on a long run in Summer, cruising in 6th gear at 60mph.
The fore-aft pitching motion over bumps was annoying, as was the long delay between gear-shifts on the robotised manual gearbox (no manual available).
The up! is better all round

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome!

I'm actually upgrading from a Smart ForTwo myself! (well, actually it's a 2002 model so a Smart City Coupé... same thing!). Totally agree with move up! about the gear-shifts! And you do feel every single bump. Plus, fuel economy on my Smart means that I pay £25 every 2 days to drive 30 miles to work and 30 miles back every day
... not great!

Well looking forward to my up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
idletony
If the clue to your location is in the username I am very close to you.

My HighUP! is similar to yours with the same colour choice + sensor pack and spare wheel.

Build week 22 but no firm idea of delivery date yet.

I'm not surprised that people are leaving Smart.

I have owned2 over the past 6 years. First a 700cc Spring Edition and currently a 999cc turbo cabrio.Mine have been fun but hopeless on rough roads and speed bumps with motorways in windy conditions not for the faint hearted. The 700 was OK on fuel but as for the 999, It's not much better thanmy 2.5 tdi VW Transporter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes the user name does give my location away, and it nice to
know that there will be another up! owner and forum member close by. If you
ever want to meet up in the future for a coffee and chat about all things VW
and up! (and ex smart ownership) please send me a pm.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have posted pictures of my smart's in an earlier post here:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/vw-virgins_topic604_post7787.html?KW=smart+fortwo#7787

I really liked the 450 model with the turbo 700cc engine but
with the glass panoramic roof and no air conditioning it was just like driving
a mobile greenhouse, I would have kept it longer if it had air con fitted (it
was an option on the pulse and my car was an ex demo so I did not have chance
to spec it from new) and you are correct in saying the 700cc engine was more
economical than the later 999cc I have the figures to prove it.

I have also enjoyed Smart ownership, but it's time to move onwards
and up!wards (sorry couldn't resist it), which is something Smart haven't, they
really need a brand new city car to compete with the competition.

As for the Merc dealers, I tried the local garages and was
not impressed, I ended up taking mine to Harrogate who were not too bad, but
not what you would call excellent either.

Build week 22 is this week, so you should get yours before
the end of June (3-4 weeks for delivery after build)

·
294 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site

I don't think I've ever even sat in a smart car before so no idea what they are like. I remember reading all the reviews when they first came out and they spoke about things such as being able to change the body panels when you fancied it - bit like a fashion outfit. Did that ever take off like it was supposed to?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes Dan, this was the original idea, but in reality the
panels were too expensive, plus storage was a problem, but on the plus side you
could maybe buy a horrid colour smart cheap then have money spare to change
them to the colour of your choice, then stick the others on ebay.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Smart roadster's (the sports car type) are now
starting to get sort after especially the Brabus version as these had a short
production run and did not sell in large numbers. I think they will become a
bit of a modern classic (not the fortwo or forfour though)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Totally agree with the air con thing - my Smart has air con but it doesn't work (out of gas I suspect...) so it really is like a greenhouse atm, driving down the motorway with both windows open trying not to get blown away!

Hurry "up!" delivery date!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
ok, another question coming from me, ive never had air con before... my polo is 12 years old. so does air con have a fluid we have to top up? i remember my dads eos used to produce condensation after using his.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not 100% but from what I understand it uses a refrigerant gas which it used to cool the car down - apparently this leaks out slowly when the system is used so it needs to be topped up every so often (Internet says 3-5 years normally, could be wrong though!). Also I've heard you're meant to run the aircon at least once a week, or the pipes and stuff can dry out and crack!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
No Gemma, Its like a fridge, has compressed gas in it...eventually, over time, the gas seeps out through seals etc so after a few years, you need the system re-gassed....cheap and re-vitalises the cooling ability, I had my merc done this year, cost £40 and that was after 5.5 yrs of constant aircon use......remember to use the aircon all year round as leaving it off for long periods is actually worse for the system.

J

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
ok, thank you both of you! good to know how i should be using it, i think to be honest i will be using it at least once a week whether it to be to cool down in the summer or heat up in the winter! and not too bad a price to top the gas up eventually, :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts