Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know where the safe mounting points are for axel stands?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I thought the clue was in the name. Don't you use axel stands to stand the axel on ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All wanted to know is if the up had specific points that are suitable for the stand. Thanks for the help shak :)

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
I thought the clue was in the name. Don't you use axel stands to stand the axel on ?

The up! doesn't have any axles. It has a rear beam which carries the hubs, and MacPhearson struts. The name 'axle' stand harkens back to when cars still had solid live rear axles and beam front axles.

Putting axle stands on the suspension areas is pointless anyway if, for example, you are working on the suspension, where you want the components to be unrestricted for removal or adjustment.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:

The up! doesn't have any axles. It has a rear beam which carries the hubs, and MacPhearson struts. The name 'axle' stand harkens back to when cars still had solid live rear axles and beam front axles.

Putting axle stands on the suspension areas is pointless anyway if, for example, you are working on the suspension, where you want the components to be unrestricted for removal or adjustment.
Thanks for that. I wasn't being sarcastic I really thought they were called axel stands because they are used to support the axel. Why are they still so called and shaped the way they are?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:

Thanks for that. I wasn't being sarcastic I really thought they were called axel stands because they are used to support the axel. Why are they still so called and shaped the way they are?

The shape of purely to help stop the slip of a vehicle from them whilst the car is being jacked. As to the name, I guess its just etymology. They've been around for so long, and the term is so widely used, what would you change the name to. Vehicle access support stands? Just keep it short and generic.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
To save you guessing shakotanVIP I think you will find the correct name for them is Jack Stands.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As I remember it,you used to jack the car up with a bottle or hydraulic jack and put the axle stands under the axle as support.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Beevee said:
To save you guessing shakotanVIP I think you will find the correct name for them is Jack Stands.
I think you are in need of a new wooden spoon for Christmas Beevee

As an aside, I once had a car fall on me because I did not use axle stands, and it Hurt
Cracked several Ribs......Even our little Ups are heavy enough to do you serious harm...so don't rely on a jack....Ever

Go well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Absolutely right Arthur. Only old farts like us would remember that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You know me Colin I love a laugh. Mind you I hadn't heard of jack stands until I did a bit of Internet research. Hope you are well and still enjoying your up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know Beevee.You do make me think about a suitable, maybe ? witty reply! You can be a hard act to follow!

My Up is still great and I am fine,Hope you are the same with both.

Just a reminder to our younger friends....never go under your car with out proper support via "jack stands/ axle stands ". It is not worth the risk....and could be fatal.

Go well.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:

Jack Stands is the American term, whilst Axle Stands is the UK/European term.

Pretty much every entry on eBay UK, or any UK auto equipment site will refer to them as axle stands.

The boxes my Sealey and Halfords versions are in all bear the legend 'axle stands'.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:

Jack Stands is the American term, whilst Axle Stands is the UK/European term.

Pretty much every entry on eBay UK, or any UK auto equipment site will refer to them as axle stands.

The boxes my Sealey and Halfords versions are in all bear the legend 'axle stands'.
Can so many people be wrong? I like to call a spade a spade but some people insist on calling it a shovel. I bow to your superior knowledge.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This thread has gone off on a tangent ;)

Anywho my main reason for the stands is for cleaning painting of the calipers and drums at some point. I will also keep them on hand when swapping over my winter wheels.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi chaps

As this thread seems to heading steadily in the direction of Pedants' Corner, I'll drop in my penn'orth....

A spade and a shovel are not the same thing, a spade having a slightly curved blade, whereas a shovel has a flatter blade with a lip round the three sides nearest the handle, it's handy for shovelling (geddit) snow for example.

However, axle stands and jack stands seem to refer to the same piece of kit, being a good European, I've always called them the former

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
gordoac said:
Hi chaps

As this thread seems to heading steadily in the direction of Pedants' Corner, I'll drop in my penn'orth....

A spade and a shovel are not the same thing, a spade having a slightly curved blade, whereas a shovel has a flatter blade with a lip round the three sides nearest the handle, it's handy for shovelling (geddit) snow for example.

However, axle stands and jack stands seem to refer to the same piece of kit, being a good European, I've always called them the former

The speaketh the truth throughout.

Spade for digging, shovel for, er...shovelling

Spade

Shovel

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Help me out Night Owl. This is getting way out of hand! I'm sorry Supermegamonkee if all this nonsense has detracted from your original question and hope you have received the answer you were looking for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts