Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help! I’m getting overwhelmed with the variety of information on suspension options discussed here. I want my 2019 gti to corner like it’s on rails on B roads (my usual most driven roads) . They’re all crap and very bumpy. I want the arch gaps to disappear and I’m not that concerned about the ride quality. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
136 Posts
Please Help! I’m getting overwhelmed with the variety of information on suspension options discussed here. I want my 2019 gti to corner like it’s on rails on B roads (my usual most driven roads) . They’re all crap and very bumpy. I want the arch gaps to disappear and I’m not that concerned about the ride quality. What do you recommend?
I’d expect bit of a barrage of conflicting information to this question! It’s very subjective, based on how much you want to alter from the standard setup, and what your opinions are on “feel”. I can only comment on my personal experience of stock GTI and what I have done, namely Eibach Pro Street S coilovers (cue some track-focussed owners saying they’re no better/still pogo: I think the opposite); along with Eibach Pro spacers for a wider track (more stability in bends but again there are those who prefer for the tail to be slightly more adaptable); and then different tires of Michelin Pilot Sport 5s (205/40 r17 as I’m still on stock rims- many prefer to go for 16in wheels to provide a more compliant ride on our poor roads and to decrease the rim weight). So a huge possibility of variations within these parameters for various combinations. I’m happy with my setup for how I drive and where I use my car, but everyone is different, and may prefer a different focus or emphasis on different aspects.
I hope that helps as a starting point.
Neil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neil, that’s a great starting point. I would be interested with any opinions on coilovers in the next tier down from street s. I can find a set for under £900 new. Thoughts on Bilstein b14 etc…

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bear in mind if the roads are bad , as they are pretty much everywhere in the UK apart from Wales, the suspension has to be compliant enough to keep the tyres on the road, if its too hard the tyre will lose contact with the road and then you will have no handling, hard ride is fine for track but not much cop for rough roads, that's why rally cars have long travel well damped suspension

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’d expect bit of a barrage of conflicting information to this question! It’s very subjective, based on how much you want to alter from the standard setup, and what your opinions are on “feel”. I can only comment on my personal experience of stock GTI and what I have done, namely Eibach Pro Street S coilovers (cue some track-focussed owners saying they’re no better/still pogo: I think the opposite); along with Eibach Pro spacers for a wider track (more stability in bends but again there are those who prefer for the tail to be slightly more adaptable); and then different tires of Michelin Pilot Sport 5s (205/40 r17 as I’m still on stock rims- many prefer to go for 16in wheels to provide a more compliant ride on our poor roads and to decrease the rim weight). So a huge possibility of variations within these parameters for various combinations. I’m happy with my setup for how I drive and where I use my car, but everyone is different, and may prefer a different focus or emphasis on different aspects.
I hope that helps as a starting point.
Neil
I'm with Dbbbbbs77. I've done the pro st s as a recent upgrade and agree with these comments. I will look at tires, spacers maybe wheels (keeping 17" for me) later, but the coilovers are a nice place to start. FYI - The thing that many of us have experienced is a knock on bumps if we go much below a 2 finger front arch to tire gap, so if you want to slam it, keep this in mind.
Honestly it's on rails now and a better ride too.

The autodoc price maybe be for a limited time.

Hope this helps,

Allan

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Reducing ride height will reduce the already small-ish suspension travel. That would be bad where I live, as hitting the bump stops on a bend will put you on a stone wall. You need compliance and travel. Fine for track days though.

My point is don't change the suspension purely for cosmetic reasons....

Reactions: Vaultboy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't make slamming it one of your objectives. Just accept whatever ride height you end up with when you have fitted a decent set of adjustable coilovers and have experimented a bit. That height will probably be one that makes the car look subtly lowered, which IMHO is a much classier look anyway.

Can't really go wrong with the eibach pro Street if indeed you can get them around the £700 mark again.

Some body roll is a good thing, as is compliance over typical UK b road surfaces. The modifying scene is littered with the shattered dreams and spines of those who went "full Max Power" !

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I assume with coilovers reducing the ride height it mainly a cosmetic thing? On the roads I drive on I want better wheel/body control, but need to retain plenty of travel.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Lighter wheels isn't a bad place to start....
Coilovers are not purely cosmetic - the main point being you have adjustability to suit your local roads (or tracks), and suit your tastes. You may well get better quality dampers as well! (although stiffer does not mean better).

Reactions: up234

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Remind me what Bilstein dampers work with the standard springs...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The reason some people me included have had the odd for me or more persistent knock from the Eibach Pro Street S on initial installation is partly due to the excellent compliance they bring.... In fact I've on occasion told people if you want the car slammed look I don't like then look elsewhere for a rock hard ride to allow this (Bilstein).

TSi17 is correct a subtle lowering with much higher quality components is what the Eibach's excel at! they do go against the grain of what most other coilovers do which is give a rock hard ride that's more suited to smooth track orientated driving....

Andrew there is so much adjustment on the spring perches I'm sure at the highest setting you would be able to get very close to standard ride height and from my own experience they get better as you raise them!

I wasn't going for the slammed look on install but as a first time modifying a car and a DIY install and then a bit of settling we then worked off that and although the car now looks brilliant in my opinion it looks very oem+ and gives the appearance a GTi would have left the factory with a few years ago before the accountants started to call the shots in the car industry.

·
Registered
616 Posts
A lot depends on budget really.

If you have a large amount to spend then coilovers seem to be the way to go, many seem to say the ride quality improves. Depends whether you want the luxury of height adjustability or not.

Another approach would be to get the best from the standard setup. The oem rear shocks seem a bit limp so a pair of Bilstein B4’s which are premium oem should improve things. A quick cheap mod and questionable as to whether or not you’d need to tell your insurers as they are oem.

I think the Up! GTi is a car to savour ‘as it is’, it’s a simple car made from VW parts bin parts, little is unique to it, simple well thought out mods can improve it but as with many cars over modding can ruin it. I’d not want to go further than tyres, shocks, maybe a remap and maybe maybe a resonated exhaust. The further down the list the less likely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had some interesting experiences with the Pro Streets, I think it's mainly a combination of a poor install and the OEM Goodyear's that are on the car.

With that being said though, they are a HUGE improvement over the stock setup and I wouldn't let any knocking issues put you off too much. Mine have had a bit of a knock which now does seem to be subsiding so it would indicate that some of it could be down to the bedding in process. I'm no professional by any means so don't take me word as gospel on that.

I've also just fitted some Eibach 15mm rear spacers and that's hugely transformed the stance of the gear, the wheels now fill out the arches almost perfectly (this will improve when I put on some either 7J wheels or 205/40 tyres).

Some people will inevitably tell you that it's a mistake to modify your car blah blah blah.

Just reading through the comments so far you've been given some great advice by a fair few names who've also helped me out immensely.

I'm truly of the belief that with the few subtle mods it seems like you're looking to it, it'll become more car than what most of us will probably ever need! Happy modding!

·
Registered
2021 GTI
150 Posts
Can I ask those who know, will an otherwise standard GTI on B4s ride better than a car on the Eibach coilovers? Presumably the B4s also improve handling (over the standard car)?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts