Up Owners Club banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Changing ride height tens of mm should not affect body roll - it's down to spring rates and damper stiffness, meaning if your lower springs are a higher rate than stock (they need to be to keep you off the bump stops!), then you will roll less, but it's not about ride height per se.

With extreme height changes (up or down), the roll centres change significantly and it gets 'interesting' and possibly ruins handling!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Changing ride height tens of mm should not affect body roll - it's down to spring rates and damper stiffness, meaning if your lower springs are a higher rate than stock (they need to be to keep you off the bump stops!), then you will roll less, but it's not about ride height per se.

With extreme height changes (up or down), the roll centres change significantly and it gets 'interesting' and possibly ruins handling!
The more you know!

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
136 Posts
Please Help! I’m getting overwhelmed with the variety of information on suspension options discussed here. I want my 2019 gti to corner like it’s on rails on B roads (my usual most driven roads) . They’re all crap and very bumpy. I want the arch gaps to disappear and I’m not that concerned about the ride quality. What do you recommend?
(I warned you!)….😁

·
Registered
653 Posts
Bilstein advertise the B4 as an OEM replacement, also if they work fine with aftermarket lowering springs then they'll be fine as a replacement to use with a standard GTI setup. Although anything would be better than standard😂
Again, this is incorrect. Bilstein do not list the B4 as an OEM replacement for the GTI. All you need to do is go to their website and select the different Up versions listed there, to see that the B4 only appears for non-GTI cars:

(this is linked to from Products - BILSTEIN)

I'm not sure why people are so resistant to hearing this :( . I don't think anyone on here has done more to promote the B4 as a cheap fix for the GTI rear suspension issues, and this is nothing to do with how well they actually suit the GTI in practice, but neither VW nor Bilstein represent that it is an OEM spec replacement for the GTI and therefore it IS a modification, whereas it is NOT for cars with standard suspension.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The B4's are oe replacement exactly the sort of thing any garage would put on if a standard one failed so no need to inform anyone as far as I see it!
Sorry, Mark, but as per the above, they're not OE replacement for the GTI.

If I were a claims adjuster inspecting a totalled GTI, I would spend the extra 30 seconds required to look at the dampers, see that they said Bilstein and make a note to check if Bilstein did an OE replacement for the GTI...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I beg to differ it's not a modified or performance part so a 60ps Up can crash with them on and be fine re insurance but a GTi not.... Sometimes people can take everything so literally in life it gets ridiculous.

We are going round in circles saying the same thing all B4's are a OE replacement part any insurance adjuster would know this and I don't see them going in Bilsteins website to see if they fit when they are actually fitted to the car in question it's a glitch in the matrix as far as I'm concerned there are lots of things autodoc and many other sites say don't fit one or other variant which is rubbish and people often have to trick the system by saying it's for a TSi.

I'm not saying any more 🙈

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Would it not solve the problem by simply telling your insurer exactly what shocks you want to fit - send a link, maybe - and see what they say?

I cannot believe most half-decent insurers will charge you, and so long as you have email confirmation of what was agreed, you are fine.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Would it not solve the problem by simply telling your insurer exactly what shocks you want to fit - send a link, maybe - and see what they say?

I cannot believe most half-decent insurers will charge you, and so long as you have email confirmation of what was agreed, you are fine.
Indeed. Insurance contracts are "utmost good faith", you have to tell the insurer anything that might affect its decision, not make the assessment yourself.

On other cars I have swapped to less bling wheels, e.g. on an MSport 5 series I swapped the factory 19's for the 18's that are factory spec on an SE, to improve the ride. That was a modification of the factory spec of my particular car and my insurer was clear that it was a relevant thing to notify to them. It didn't affect the premium, but that was their decision.

If you fitted the standard Up springs to a GTI, that would be a notifiable modification. They are "OE spec", but not for the GTI.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My tuppence worth: installed bilstein b14 a few months ago. Had them installed with far too much drop, springs were binding, close to undrivable. Bilstein give you the optimal (and TUV approved) height window of the coilovers(they'll go much lower and higher than that window) so I had it raised to the lower end of that window.
Much better now, really good on a bumpy b road, controls the weight of the car so well, very little body roll. The car is firmer than stock no doubt, in most normal conditions I think it's fine, its mainly speed bumps where its a pain, specifically the ones you get on car parks that are only about a foot deep and 6 inches high.

If your main driving roads are bumpy b roads then I'd recommend the b14s, but not if you want a 1 finger arch gap or less, because they're terrible at that height. Up's really don't like being lowered too much more than the gti already is.
Another thing I'd recommend based on my own car is polybushing the front suspension arms. I didn't notice any more NVH than just the bilsteins, but I definitely noticed the improved steering, it's just more intuitive, the front wheels seemed to move in more ways than just up/down/rotate previously when driven hard. I could feel each wheel toeing independently of the other/the steering wheel over fast rutted roads. Those complaining of knocks, I would also look at doing this.

It's not all roses though. If I'm honest, the NVH and comfort of the standard car was not suited to my driving profile (30k miles a year with work, a history of driving to the south of France every other year) and the comfort and NVH of my car is probably 10% worse than stock and would be more if not for the PS5's. Obviously its a city car and isn't made for my driving profile, but after a while, the firm ride, poor support from the seats and various rattles were starting to make me fall out of love with the car, and the thought of a 400 mile round trip to our work head office every few months and a potential (at the time, now booked for next week) trip to France made me want to get another 5 series, which I bought about 4 weeks ago.

Didn't trade the UP in though, so still have it, but didn't drive it for at least two weeks.
The point of this story is that I took it on a few local journeys last week and it really rekindled my love for it and just shows that the car, and potential modifications have to suit your driving profile. Doing 2-5 200mile round trips a week and I was beginning to regret buying it and dread the journeys, but local journeys an hour and under and b road blasts and its amazing, especially with the b14s with bilstein recommended ride height, PS5's and polybushed. If my driving profile was somewhere inbetween the two I would probably want the Eibach Pro streets based on other people's findings, or some b4s and the springs from ST mentioned previously.

Now I don't want to get rid of it, however the original reason for getting rid of my 540i for the UP was to save money, and now I have an Up and a 520d 🤦‍♂️.

Working on the misses parting with her 75hp Up and taking on mine so that I still have access to it when I want a bit of fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very honest review and a good insight into the B14s.

I agree that if you're doing big miles then a nice cruiser car is the way to go. I'd say that the ride with the eibach pro st is now fine for long distance, but then the seat starts to bug me after sbout 2 hours and I'm sure if I upgraded the seats there would be something else bug me after 3 hours driving........ But what a car!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Speed bumps no problem on the Eibach Pro Street S and it's motorway manners are very golf like....

The B14's sound exactly as others have described to me too stiff and rattles are a possible side affect 😬

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi G50, that's a very honest and descriptive review. Of course, you are making things difficult for yourself by alternating with a G30 5 series ;) I still get occasional pangs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi G50, that's a very honest and descriptive review. Of course, you are making things difficult for yourself by alternating with a G30 5 series ;) I still get occasional pangs.
Yes the G30s are excellent cars, especially for high mileage drivers and Manchester to South of France trips!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be interested in feedback about how the Eibach Street Pro compare with the OEM suspension in terms of harshness? I am finding the OEM set-up very uncomfortable on some 'A roads' at 70 mph with sudden 'dips'... the suspension seems almost to bottom out with a very uncomfortable 'shock'... so much so I am seriously concerned about the suitability of the car as a long term daily driver... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, with mine now that everything has settled down I'm very pleased with the ride, at 70mph it's a nice improvement - plush. But it does still suffer from sudden large dips, probably due to the short wheelbase. As it's so subjective it's difficult to give a better answer I'm afraid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
CSR76, please come back to let us know what you think of the B4s all round if you go for it.

VW were down the pub when they signed off on the chassis
B4 rears going on this week. Will probably try the Vogtland springs with stock front then switch to B4 on front too. I’ll post after they’re fitted with stock springs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys! Having now done about 1,500 miles on my GTi, I have come to the conclusion that the standard suspension is fine for my needs as a 63 year old! I had ordered and received a set of the highly rated Eibach Street Pro coil-overs, but before I return them to AutoDoc, I am offering them up for sale, unused in the unopened box. Will pop an ad in the For Sale section. PM me if interested! Cheers, Pete.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts