Up Owners Club banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Hi Guys! Having now done about 1,500 miles on my GTi, I have come to the conclusion that the standard suspension is fine for my needs as a 63 year old! I had ordered and received a set of the highly rated Eibach Street Pro coil-overs, but before I return them to AutoDoc, I am offering them up for sale, unused in the unopened box. Will pop an ad in the For Sale section. PM me if interested! Cheers, Pete.
Will have a full set of Bilstein B4s on by the end of the weekend on stock springs for a while. Have had rears in for a week and seem v promising over stock. Just under £190. Will update after the fronts are fitted.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
148 Posts
Very interested in your thoughts CSR76; I'm thinking I'll try the same once I've got some time off in a month or so. The VW workshop manual has you pulling the hubs and balljoints but, looking at this, it seems pretty straight-forward?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Very interested in your thoughts CSR76; I'm thinking I'll try the same once I've got some time off in a month or so. The VW workshop manual has you pulling the hubs and balljoints but, looking at this, it seems pretty straight-forward?:
I’ve seen this one too. Can’t be worse than a VW Eos window regulator, which took too many hours of my life!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not sure if anyone has said this earlier in the thread or elsewhere but looking at the Bilstein website it just states the B4 fits all Up!’s, Mii’s & CitiGo’s either with or without the sports suspension, unlike the AutoDoc references which leave the GTi out.

It is of course the mobile version of the site so maybe there’s more info on the full version but see here.

Rear Bilstein B4 - Gas Shock Absorber - 19-222073

edit: A short descriptive piece explaining the difference between B4 & B6

What's the difference between Bilstein B4 and Bilstein B6?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ash, that isn't bilsteins website. It's an independent but authorised dealer. See post #84 for what happens if you go to the official bilstein product catalogue through their own website :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ash, that isn't bilsteins website. It's an independent but authorised dealer. See post #84 for what happens if you go to the official bilstein product catalogue through their own website :(
Indeed it would appear I stand corrected, the links I provided are the site of their uk distributor, if you drill down deep they say that Bilstein don’t sell direct only via sales partners. 👍

The fitment list on the genuine Bilstein site is a bit wiggy, I wonder if A:They’ve forgotten the GTi or B:They don’t list it because they want everyone to buy B6’s or better OR maybe it suggests that the OEM shock is adjudged by them to be inadequate when fitted to a GTi and so even fitting their B4 equivalent replacement is not in their view adequate.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The fitment list on the genuine Bilstein site is a bit wiggy, I wonder if A:They’ve forgotten the GTi or B:They don’t list it because they want everyone to buy B6’s or better OR maybe it suggests that the OEM shock is adjudged by them to be inadequate when fitted to a GTi and so even fitting their B4 equivalent replacement is not in their view adequate.
Agreed, this is the crux of it. I've actually written to Bilstein tech support this morning to try and put this issue to bed. No-one would be happier than me to hear from Bilstein themselves that B4 is a suitable OE replacement for the GTI.

·
Registered
2019 gti 3 door tungsten silver
74 Posts
Not sure if anyone has said this earlier in the thread or elsewhere but looking at the Bilstein website it just states the B4 fits all Up!’s, Mii’s & CitiGo’s either with or without the sports suspension, unlike the AutoDoc references which leave the GTi out.

It is of course the mobile version of the site so maybe there’s more info on the full version but see here.

Rear Bilstein B4 - Gas Shock Absorber - 19-222073

edit: A short descriptive piece explaining the difference between B4 & B6

What's the difference between Bilstein B4 and Bilstein B6?
Don’t fit the b6’s because you will get handling problems,the up rear end is too light to preload the shocks and it increases the ride height by 20mm.I spoke to bilstein and they assured me that the b4’s are a direct replacement for the gti.I have been running them with stock springs and 10mm lowered springs for 6000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don’t fit the b6’s because you will get handling problems,the up rear end is too light to preload the shocks and it increases the ride height by 20mm.I spoke to bilstein and they assured me that the b4’s are a direct replacement for the gti.I have been running them with stock springs and 10mm lowered springs for 6000 miles with no problems.
Did you speak to Bilstein, or to a Bilstein dealer ? Do you have any written confirmation ? I mean, this is what we all want to hear, but I want something in writing from Bilstein themselves. 20 years as a lawyer* may have made me slightly pedantic about this stuff...

( * retired, no liability accepted for views expressed, wasn't very good at it anyway etc etc)

·
Registered
2019 gti 3 door tungsten silver
74 Posts
Did you speak to Bilstein, or to a Bilstein dealer ? Do you have any written confirmation ? I mean, this is what we all want to hear, but I want something in writing from Bilstein themselves. 20 years as a lawyer* may have made me slightly pedantic about this stuff...

( * retired, no liability accepted for views expressed, wasn't very good at it anyway etc etc)
Bilstein expert thyssenkrupp uk,these are the people that bilstein Germany told me to contact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
Here's hoping!🙂
Oh f%*£ no… Just don’t. Currently reconsidering my life choices. That video is just a lie. With brand new no dirt on at all straight out of the showroom Up maybe! I’m being a tad dramatic perhaps but the standard socket splitter for the damper will not work! Yes the same type in the video. The locating arm for the damper does not allow it to get far enough in. Not with jack stands anyway. I’m going to have one more go with a hydraulic splitter when it arrives and then it’s going to a garage. I’ll post a list of all the stuff you need and photos of difficult bits on my second and final go.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Probably is fine on a near-factory-fresh car!
I've not tried "bend, and hope for the best" recently, but the last time I did try something like this (MK2 Golf?) it just locked the joint tighter. I think I borrowed a tiny puller with a screw and claws. I don't do this anymore, so I may be talking rubbish regarding UP!s.

!!! Edit: Although a "gap-spreader" is quite a different thing. I misunderstood what you needed to do.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts