Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of new Move Up! Bluemotion just over a week ago and it is giving me a seriously painful back. Anyone else had similar problems? Have tried adjusting the seat loads of time and using various cushions but so far to no avail. If this can't be sorted out soon, then, much as I love the car, it will have to go.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You've got the same model as me
Well the first time I drove my up! I thought the seat was uncomfortable, but when I adjusted the seat it was great, love it
I hope you can sort it out soon, sorry I haven't been much help

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am over 6ft tall and I find the range of adjustment and the seat comfort just fine. The best car seats I ever had though were in my last car - a Passat Sport. Sometimes it can be your position in relation to the wheel and pedals that causes back pain rather than the seat itself.....

·
Registered
619 Posts
I can't say I've had any trouble with the seats in the Up, I find them very comfortable. I'm sitting a little further forward though, than I would in previous cars.
Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
956 Posts
No, sorry, I've got the Move up! BMT and no trouble with my seats either. One slight adjustment to the seat back & everything was perfect, really comfortable.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have driven with VW Amarok Highline and there seats are really uncomfortable, but in Up.. You just need to set correct height and adjust bacrest.. Ok, I guess if seats would have lumbar support it would be more comfortable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I too was concerned about initial aches and pains caused by my new up seats. I'm 6' 2" and felt there wasn't enough lumber support at first. A number of the new of cars I have had in the past have had wheels which push out a lumber support into the small of your back but the up! hasn't got this.

However I have revalueated my seating position and realised I have had the seat and wheel set up in a bus driver like position, a bit like the old mini metro sit and beg driver position. So I have dropped the seat as far as it will go, dropped the wheel to its lower position and pushed the seat quite far back. I have aslo dropped the back of seat too.This has given me a much lower, sportier position. It has transformed my feel of the car whilst driving, the back ache has gone, my arms don't ache either now. I feel as if I am sitting in the car/ seat now, rather than just sitting on it.

This worked for me.
Edited by: Markmod1

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Unfortunatly I cannot help either, I too have found the seats more comfortable than my old car, all I can suggest like the others is to try adjusting the seat some more into completely different position to youre used to?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Another member (Leif) of the forum reported that the seats were uncomfortable - the link to his post follows:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/uncomfortable-drivers-seat_topic547_post6625.html?KW=uncomfortable#6625
I had quite bad pain/discomfort and resorted to lumbar supports which did not really work. Adjusting my seat position and angle significantly improved it. I sit further forward now than I used to. Oddly enough I find it okay, but not brilliant, going to work in the morning, but quite comfortable on the way back. I have no height adjustment which does not help, and they are not very supportive. I think I might need to sit lower down. The seat (or my back) is breaking in slowly too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I have tried, as suggested, the seat at its lowest position and forward and this plus a soft cushion seems to help a bit. Have also been to the osteopath so we will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Love the car (Move Up! BMT in Tornado Red) by the way! Have yet to see another one on the roads near me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you tried leaning the seat further back?

This would put more of your body weight back against the seat lessening the effects of the load on your lower back.

Also, the height adjustment, like on many cars, rotates from the front of the seat i.e. the front remains at an almost constant height where as the rear (next to the vertical section) goes up and down which has the effect of altering the angle of your seat base in order to give you the height adjustment. At it's lowest setting, therefore, it's most likely to give you much needed lap support.

I have found that on it's lowest setting with the seat lent back a little more gives me a more comfortable seating position. You may, as I have, need to move the seat a little closer to the steering wheel to give you better 'reach' comfort though.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Up! Has gone back to the dealers as I could't cope with the back pain nor find a viable solution. Did try a polo for a few days and although this did not give me same intensity of back pain which I experienced with the Up it still gave me a painful back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is frustrating to get back ache & professional advice is important, it is a shame that the up is not the car for you.

My wife was advised to get a particular support(http://www.medesign.co.uk) and she finds it very helpful, however everyone is different and what works for one person does not work for others !!

The main lesson for her car is to fold it down when not in use as it sets of her car alarm if it falls down later !!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That's very disappointing, not to mention surprising. I have always found the VWs to be the most comfortable cars I have ever driven!

I guess it's very subjective though

S

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
that is a shame you never found it to be comfortable and that you found the polo to also be uncomfortable too. I hope you manage to find the right seat in the right car for you, my mum is fine in the car, but on other seats she has to use a back support to make them comfortable... maybe this will help you in future?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find the seat really comfortable, I love the shape, the only moan I would have is the seat belt rubbing on my neck, but otherwise day 5 of owning my lovely little Silver Move Up and I am loving it. A brilliant car.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That's such a shame Supac, it must be very disheartening when you loved the car itself.

I've suffered with lower back problems for about 25 years so I know how you feel and I do hope you find something more suitable soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts