Up Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A mazda MX5 1.5 ND2 base spec. Having driven both cars back to back, the Up! is more nimble / a happier car in most situations.

Below a certain torque output (at around 3000rpm), the MX5 felt lumbering relative to the Up!. I think this may be due to the ~130kg difference in kerb weight and the Up! having wheels on the corners.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ah yes but you cant put the hood down in an Up lol.

I do fancy the soft top MX5 for my next car even though its a manual box, however i would worry about the soft top parked outside, not only for the security aspect but also in the weather conditions we have at the moment, snow, ice and frost. I did have a garage in my previous house years ago to keep my soft top cars in.

I would probably get a Mercedes SLC instead that has a folding hard top ( i am not keen on the MX5 had top ) plus the advantage of the Merc being automatic. It will not be until 2024 at the earliest, so plenty of time to decide.

I do like to plan ahead as i am also thinking of which car to replace that one in 2029. Perhaps a Mini Cooper either petrol or electric.

Enjoy your new UP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The soft top was easy to manage. The mx5 was a daily driver throughout the seasons and I just wiped the roof dry after saturating the outermost layer with water every weekend or so to get rid of seeds and salt etc. Bird poo gets cleaned off as soon as possible with the same method. No stains at all!

It has done well with the recent snow and freezing conditions. Just don't open it when frozen.

Hope you enjoy the process of findings your next car :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for the info on the hood.

Did your MX5 have heated seats unlike the Tepid seats in my UP GTI? I only ever used to put the hood down in my MGB and TR6 in the one week of summer we always get in the UK.

I am more than happy with my UP GTI but being a car nut petrol head i am always thinking about my next car and looking at what's for sale on AT and reviews on YT. I change my mind every day. My next car will probably be the MX5 or Mercedes SLC. However the one after that which will be my final car which will last me until i give up driving was going to be the Toyota Aygo automatic with the ten year warranty, but the new top of the range model has gone up to £20 000 when i could get the current model today for £12 000.

I could get the Mini Cooper Petrol or Electric or the Honda Electric. I could go for comfort and get the BMW 3 series or Jaguar XE, but of course there will probably be lots of different new cars out by then.

Then again i could keep my UP GTI for the next 20+ years as my final car and then sell it as a classic. Mind you, by then i will be so old that i will be a classic!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on the hood.

Did your MX5 have heated seats unlike the Tepid seats in my UP GTI? I only ever used to put the hood down in my MGB and TR6 in the one week of summer we always get in the UK.

I am more than happy with my UP GTI but being a car nut petrol head i am always thinking about my next car and looking at what's for sale on AT and reviews on YT. I change my mind every day. My next car will probably be the MX5 or Mercedes SLC. However the one after that which will be my final car which will last me until i give up driving was going to be the Toyota Aygo automatic with the ten year warranty, but the new top of the range model has gone up to £20 000 when i could get the current model today for £12 000.

I could get the Mini Cooper Petrol or Electric or the Honda Electric. I could go for comfort and get the BMW 3 series or Jaguar XE, but of course there will probably be lots of different new cars out by then.

Then again i could keep my UP GTI for the next 20+ years as my final car and then sell it as a classic. Mind you, by then i will be so old that i will be a classic!!
I know the feeling of always looking at cars!

Did not have heated seats. They are cold to begin with but because the cabin is so small everyting warms up quickly (also mists up quickly if you leave the AC off on rainy days). The heater is extremely powerful and I've been fine driving on motorways when it was dry and 1-2 degrees Celcius.

I was very happy to have experienced the MX5 as a daily driver - the itch for the lightweight RWD driving-centered car would have been impossible to scratch without it. It definitely feels heavier than the Up! but it may also be compounded by the heavier steering and relatively long overhang forward of the front wheels. I felt that it had to be driven hard for the chassis to come alive (and it sure was very taut and balanced), whereas the Up! felt great from the moment you are moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts