Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a member for several months now so thought it's about time I share my ( missis) UP.
Here she is when we got here

So as you can see she wanted a bit of tlc

So over the next couple of weeks we stripped her down and gradually built her back up

All the parts were new apart from the bumper as we managed to get a good second hand one
So she was starting to take shape but looked a bit of a state due to being white black and red and our neighbour even asked what colour we were painting it

My friend works at a body shop and took the panels to work to do in quiet times and Saturday we got them back,

Almost there
Edited by: T5windsor

·
Registered
198 Posts
Something probably unintentionally happened to the links - one needs to replace "**" with "os" in the middle (should be obvious once you find it). I'm too lazy to repost all the links fixed
; the pictures look very interesting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Amazing work! Fix the links pls, it's worth it!

What happened to the car inthe first place? Doesn't look like collision damage, i can't figure out what could possibly do that??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not really sure how to fix them? I followed the sticky how to but ended up like this?
I bought the car from a salvage yard as the insurance company declared it a total loss, we've contacted the previous owner and she said that she was overtaking a parked car when they suddenly opened there door which she clipped then reared off into a fence on the opposite side, the airbags weren't deployed so just goes to show how light it was.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow! What a nice car you scored there. It surely was a nice insurance company, here they won't declare it a total loss unless the car has disintegrated to pieces, lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I'm really pleased how it's turned out, we've got a set of 17" bbs wheels for it which I trial fitted yesterday ( I'd post the pic but still not worked out what I'm doing wrong) next I need to source some coilovers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Perhaps this forum doesn't like the word "toss er" with no space, but in Highland Games we Scots Toss the Caber, even in full view of the Queen, who loves it.

Sadly I couldn't get the last three or four pics to come out but I did get down to the one where you've fitted the new red VW up! front bumper, the new bonnet and the two new wings, all au naturel.

Isn't it great the the VAG trio have bolt on front wings? It would have been much more hassle with welded ones.

Hopefully you can try to post the photos again but I really can't see what's so bad about being called "Salad Toss er" because that's exactly what people who like rabbit food (not me!) do.

Looking forward to seeing the finished car. Great work so far.

Edited by: Robbyrook

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm afraid that I wasn't much help at all but it's really good to be able to see your photos in all their glory now. Your up! has gone from bashed, multi-coloured, ugly duckling to beautiful, Candy White swan. I was a little confused when I spotted the number plate and had to check your profile to see where you lived! Looking forwards to seeing more pics as you complete the various stages of your modifications and upgrades.

How wide are the 17" BBS wheels and what width, profile and make of tyres will you fit?

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
T5windsor said:
Wheels are 7j mate, going for 165 40 17 so a nice bit of stretch
Your wheels are 7", not J.

J refers to the profile of the tyre bead seat, it is NOT a designation of width.

Its a common misunderstanding that many people have taken on board, but its a real pet peeve of mine.

Even bloody eBay lists wheels widths in 'Js'. FFS

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Wow!...the phoenix rises!....bloody good job there...enjoy your up!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shakotanVIP said:
T5windsor said:
Wheels are 7j mate, going for 165 40 17 so a nice bit of stretch
Your wheels are 7", not J.

J refers to the profile of the tyre bead seat, it is NOT a designation of width.

Its a common misunderstanding that many people have taken on board, but its a real pet peeve of mine.

Even bloody eBay lists wheels widths in 'Js'. FFS

Sorry dude didn't mean to upset anyone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts