Up Owners Club banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Recoding with a new battery resets it apparently, but I have no idea what happens if you just fit a new battery. It possibly just continues with the old profile and calculates starts/lifetime using the existing readings. Perhaps? If so, I expect the worst thing that happens is that it assumes the battery is less fit to support smart charging and stop/start than is actually the case.

To me, it's moronic design, and would be improved by inbuilt, unique battery serial numbers recognized by the ECU, but hey, I'm just Engineering and not Marketing, and we always lose to the over-paid people!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think this - All of the above is true if my ecoup! has a smart alternator.
Smart alternators are those that have their output voltage controlled externally via the Engine Control Unit (ECU) rather than by an internal voltage regulator as found on traditional alternators.
So I don't know is there an internal voltage regulator inside my car?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Voltage regulation is still a required function whether you a have a smart or standard alternator. The smart bit is checking battery output voltage and then altering the duty cycle for charging it (or not). Stop-start is a separate system, but it uses the same battery output voltage check circuitry as part of its decision making. Coding is just a means of giving the ECU a hint about how best to manage a given battery model.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not me, but I know it's "a thing"... I've never changed a stop-start battery so far. I might look it up on the wider internet in detail, though. Or talk to a local battery/exhaust/brake/wheel shop...

·
Registered
8 Posts
41 - 47 of 47 Posts