Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first of I wonder what size of wheels I want on either 16" or 17" anyone of you who have any experience with it? And then what would look best BBS or OZ or anyone who got any other ideas? I need some ideas to do with my UP.

·
Registered
453 Posts
those wheels look superb, proper rally style

Michael P said:
How is it when driving? Does it ruin all the comfort, and what about the economy? :)

wouldn't surprise me if damping has improved with the V1s, every car I have lowered on decent coil overs has ridden far better after

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rasmus how ruined is it? Like how? I haven't been driving a car with wheels like that before, I have been wondering if I could borrow a set of wheels and just try it out. Because if its not, that worse, I would find it worth it, because "**** it looooks sweet"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, I can assure you you'll feel every tiny bump in the road with H&R springs - and if you hit speedbumps too fast, the shocks will fully compress which stresses the body even more!

Regarding fuel economy, I believe 195/40R17's has has cost me about 2-3 km/l. When I drove on 165/60R15's I'd be able to make 23 km/l, now I'm pulling 20-21 km/l

Edited by: RasmusTJ

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sounds like you are satisfied with the KW coilovers. Lowering a car will always make the ride harder, but I'm aware of that. Is the biggest reason for you to change to airridethat it is just not low enough? And the fact that the bound/rebound is not adjustable, why is that important for you? I ask it because I don't know what effect this has on the ride quality.

Grtz

Gunter

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thnx Magnus, I've been driving lowered cars for more than 30 years but this is the first time I'm going to use coilovers. KW do have a very good reputation and I can't wait to put them on the Up... If they can convince me I might buy a set for my Z4 afterwards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gonna by KW coilovers also for next summer and put some 16 or 17" wheels with tiny tiny tyres...

Question for whiteup: how much lower can I go with KW compared to your up at the moment?

Hope you understand what I mean :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay then, is it a smart idea to lower my car now, because the vinter is coming, and I just want the car to be abit lower. (Springs) then waiting for summer to get wheels, or is it just a very stupid idea?
Thanks for input guys, helps me alot to hear, I have been wondering about kw coilovers, but not quite sure yet too

·
Registered
453 Posts
my advice is go for 2 way adjustable on coilovers, you need to know what you are doing on 3 ways and in reality never met anyone who has adjusted them (unless for track)

KWs are very good, however, bilstein B16 kits are in a different league

·
Registered
386 Posts
wigit said:
KWs are very good, however, bilstein B16 kits are in a different league

Of what I know, the biggest difference is that Bilstein is a lot easier to adjust than the KW. Don't know about the ride quality, seems they are pretty close but this is more a thing of preference I suppose.

Now since the Up! hasn't been that long on the market there isn't much choise. KW has just the V1 and Weitec is coming soon with their "cheaper" version... nohing else for the moment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
whiteup said:
in the front i have around 4,5cm left to adjust, but it will be resting on the bumpstop if i lower it 3cm more, in the back its at its lowest now, but if you remove the springperch and fit shorter dampers so the spring wont be loose when jacking up the car, it will go another 2cm down.

tiny tyres in 17" diameters are only avaible from nankang, 165/35/17 185/35/17, none of these tires likes to be stretched over 7,5"--> wheels, I have some 185/35/17 on a 7" wheel and its to stiff in the sidewalls for my liking.. they are prone to split if you drive over potholse or something like that.

go for 195/40/17 or 205/40/17, the up have big arches and to small tires looks weird.

Magnus

Takk så mye!

I was thinkin Porsche teledials in size 16x7" with 165/40R16 but they are quite difficult to find here... Another option is those original up! alloys with spacers. Or I get lazy and do nothing... Anyway, I have a long winter to plan these things

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I live in Denmark, I don't find the winter hard of anything just exetremely cold. How ever that I just really want to lower my car, but is it such a bad idea?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts