Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows why I don't seem to be getting much bass from the Beats subwoofer fitted to my GTI. For a supposed 300W system I expected more oomph! Bass on head unit is on full.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Because it's tiny and buried in the spare wheel well?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Probably depends what you had fitted to previous cars, and your expectations. I have done some basic sound mods over the past very many years, but certainly not recently. The Beats system in my wife's car is excellent for the price, and the best sound system in any car we have owned. The base is never overwhelming though, and that is why I like it. Also maybe worth checking that the subwoofer connections are sound. The subwoofer connector in the boot is easy to check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a beats edition, but when I put my hand on the Sub I feel no vibrations, is this normal? However the overall bass in the car seems good

·
Registered
95 Posts
Because it's tiny and buried in the spare wheel well?
It's buried below 3 layers, the parcel shelf, the false floor shelf and a carpet which may or may not have some sound insulation beneath that.

Firstly, I would put some bass heavy music on and expose the sub and see if there is actually any sound coming from from it. If not, check the wiring or increase the volume. If so, then maybe try it with the false floor shelf removed.

I agree that compared to my 300w soundbar under my TV the sub in the Beats system appears rather weak. It's still not pretty good but don't expect Bose sound quality.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the beats system is so bad compared to the fender it replaced sorry to say, retro fitted fender in my old car and in the new i had beats , toke all the speakers out and put dynaudio from a golf mrk. 7 variant in instead ,much better, you can up the bass by using stp gold(or some other sound deadning) in the wheel well . but putting the dynaudio sub in gives you the same as the deadning, ill be sound deadning mine when the weather is warmer forgot it when i did the swap the dynaudio sub is plug and play very easy to change, and cheapish on ebay. ps. the boy racer boom boom will never happen with any oe sound system that´s just not how they are set up, the helix gives you some off that but then you need to take the beats amp out first.
regards sören

·
Super Moderator
3,144 Posts
Is the beats sub powered (ie amp in the sub) or is it just a passive box with the 6" speaker in it...if powered , is the dynaudio one the same?

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
the beats system is so bad compared to the fender it replaced sorry to say, retro fitted fender in my old car and in the new i had beats , toke all the speakers out and put dynaudio from a golf mrk. 7 variant in instead ,much better, you can up the bass by using stp gold(or some other sound deadning) in the wheel well . but putting the dynaudio sub in gives you the same as the deadning, ill be sound deadning mine when the weather is warmer forgot it when i did the swap the dynaudio sub is plug and play very easy to change, and cheapish on ebay. ps. the boy racer boom boom will never happen with any oe sound system that´s just not how they are set up, the helix gives you some off that but then you need to take the beats amp out first.
regards sören
The subwoofers are exactly the same in both, same enclosure, same driver. Its only a branded thing. The amp in the Beats cars is made by Panasonic, not branded Beats at all, and the subwoofer isn't either. I have a spare Polo Beats sub and enclosure, I'll get some pictures of the subwoofer and you'll see it has no Beats logos on it anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,144 Posts
lupo, is it powered? ie can I put a better powered sub in or a better passive one ? (in a proper enclosure, not that round plastic thing)

also, is the panasonic (beats) amp line level in or speaker level in (for changing the head unit)

cheers
John

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
lupo, is it powered? ie can I put a better powered sub in or a better passive one ? (in a proper enclosure, not that round plastic thing)
cheers
John
The sub you want to put in will be reliant on the power going into it. I'm going to have a wild guess here but i can imagine the "amp" in the beats system is tiny.

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts

also, is the panasonic (beats) amp line level in or speaker level in (for changing the head unit)

cheers
John
Yes there is an amplifier under the drivers seat, there is a plastic cover over the top of it. All of the speakers on the Beats system are powered by this amplifier. The subwoofer is a dual voice coil 6'' speaker, I can't remember who makes it at the moment, but I'll try and post some pictures later

I think its all line level inputs as the headunit has no pre-outs

·
Super Moderator
3,144 Posts
by line level do you mean speaker level , ie the head unit is identical for beats and non beats systems (sorry to be a pain !) looking at fitting the alpine Halo-9" headunit ultimately

·
Registered
138 Posts
well i have had both speakers in my hands more the ones ,beats is not the same as fender not by a long shot(i though they where til i had them in my hand. Original Soundsystem: beats Subwoofer Lautsprecher Endstufe VW Polo VI AW | eBay
VW THE BEETLE 5C LAUTSPRECHER SOUNDSYSYTEM FENDER | eBay and yes this is for a beetle but the only diff. is in the rear off the up is a full tone speaker vs. the beetle with tweeter front and rear, the polo system is 100% the same only sound profil in the amp is diff.
the amp on the fender is the same on the up but the sound profil is diff. to the beats/fender.
the speakers/sub and front tweeters in the fender is all 2 ohm, in the beats the tweeters are 4 ohm the rest 2 ohm.
so again they are not the same
regards
Sören

1 - 17 of 17 Posts