Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I
retired I was driving up to 33,000 miles a year, much of it on the M25. Whilst at work, we had a regular 'Defensive Driving' course every few years. Four to a car, we spent a whole day with the 'instructor' and two other work colleagues.

So when I retired 4 years ago I wondered how I'd adjust to 5,000 miles a year and indeed,to getting older.

I had never fancied the full IAM test - for a number of reasons .... So I've just undertaken the IAM's 'Drive
Check Plus' (an alternative to their 'Drive Check 55' which is a 1 hour course. It was £35 and I'd highly recommend it. No
catch questions, no spoken commentary, no 'what was that sign we've just passed' , No Pass/Fail or anything like that.

Well worth it! Have a look: <a href="http://www.iam.org.uk/drivecheckplus" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.iam.org.uk/drivecheckplus
</a>
Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
81 Posts
thanks for the information, I feel quite tempted by this myself

I did dabble with IAM a few years ago but really didn't like my 'coach'..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Itook and passed the DSA Driving Instructor Part 2 test in 1992.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had the same problem with my instructor when I tried for the IAM car test. I'd already passed my motorcycle test, so I thought I'd better get the car test done. I just didn't get on with him, and the constant insistence on the spoken commentary, which I can't do and find incredibly distracting, meant that I just gave up.

Nick

·
Registered
432 Posts
Agreed. I did both the IAM motorcycle and car advanced courses and tests. The car observer was an absolute ar$e. Anyway, I endured it to the end. The IPSGA system certainly works. (Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Accelerate).

Edited by: move up!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was very fortunate, my IAM observer was very good and the course certainly improved my driving.

I must attend another course to help me cope with tailgaters on the motorway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts