Up Owners Club banner

Before buying...

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  willmow 
#1 ·
... a 75PS 5-door Blue Motion:<ul>[*]What's the DAB radio situation with the Up - I believe you only get an FM radio?[*]Just how horrendous is the auto version?[*]Any news of an upgrade on the horizon (i.e. should I hold off buying)?[*]What optional extras do your good folk advise?[/list]

#2 ·
Hi willmow,

DAB radio is standard (at least for high up!s) in the UK since 2015 (=May 2014).

Don't think there will be a general update until 2017 (May 2016) ...
Small updates have always been made - not only while model year changes.

Options:
- Sound Pack (6 speakers) is a Must for "good normal sound" ...
- M&M offers much more than a navi! Lots of engine data, 32GB music possible +++
- Drive Pack brings info center and cruise control (which is not only good for American highways).

#4 ·
Don't know where you got the idea that the ASG is horrendous. People's opinions vary mainly because of a lack of understanding of what is an ASG. When driving a manual car if you keep your foot pressing on the accelerator when changing gear the car will jerk and shake. The same principle applies to the ASG. The best thing is it test drive a car for yourself rather than listen to what others say.

#6 ·
The sensor pack gives you rear parking sensors (obv!) and cruise control, which I must admit I do use on motorways esp late at night when it's quiet, but it also gives you the full multifunction computer on the little screen between the speedo and rev counter. If you've had a VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat before then you'll know how useful this is, esp if you haven't got your M&M plugged in.

#9 ·
I've somehow ended up driving three different tyre/wheel options on three different Ups? Others may have different opinions but I found the following: The High Up on its standard 15" spoke alloys is a lovely ride, comfy, deals with most road surfaces. The High Up with sports pack (slightly stiffer suspension and 16" triangle alloys) was obviously firmer but not overly so, didn't bother me, nothing like a rock hard Mini on 17" or Audi A1 in S trim! The High Up with normal suspension and upgraded alloys, which is what we've got (Upsilon 16" - the previous owner fitted them) feels every bit as good as the normal High Up on its 15", just looks a bit more bling...if you like that sort of thing! I've no idea about the Polygon 17". I'm sure somebody on here can help you out. Or indeed with other after market alloys.

#11 ·
Hi willmow,

You speak German?

Did you visit the link to my up!?
A black high up! with Salsa seats, folding front seat, Sensor Pack, Speaker Pack (included in the UK?), Spoke alloys ...

I can recommend the red dash - which would also be possible for your Tungsten+Salsa ...
In combination with the red front seats it just makes you smile every time you enter the car or notice it while driving. It is a fresh but not agressive red. Especially on grey, dark, rainy days, the red dash gives you a "special hello". Always had dark grey dashs (Polo, Lupo) and this red is so wonderful.
The Tungsten Silver (like black) makes it look a bit noble ...
Have a look at my photos (if you haven't done it by now) ...

I love the standard Spoke alloys.
As I only drive 2000-3000 miles a year, I bought extra all-season tyres (Goodyear 4Season). The 15" Spokes can be equipped with them and the Goodyears have good test results. VW offers no all-season tyres for alu alloys / the high up! ...

#14 ·
Hi willmow,

Chapeau for your German!

I keep on writing English, so everyone understands me (or not
) ...

The Chrome Pack includes the two fog lights, mirror covers and the four side stripes.
The chrome stripe at the "5th" back door is the "chrome door protection" (53‚¬ extra) ...
There is more contrast when you have a black/blue/red/white up! - but the Chrome also works with Tungsten Silver.

If you don't mind about the money, this is a nice extra ...
The Chrome stresses the "noble" Salsa seats + Tungsten ...
The high up! has a lot of chrome at the dash and display - so it joins together.

I have my up! 3 month and 10 days now ...
I don't get bored about the red dash. It is not "too much" - as there is "a little bit of white" in the red (I professionally have to do with colours). This tiny bit of white "de-flashes" the red.

Personally I would not have chosen a red up! with red dash plus Salsa seats. Looks great too (as photos here in the forum prove), but this would have been too much for me. Imagine ... You have the Tungsten Silver doors with beige plastics. The seats are beige and red. So, the red dash only adds "a bit of red" ...
The contrast between black and red is bigger than dark silver and red.

Naturally depends on if you like red or not ...
But red makes "frustrating mornings/days" look better ...
The white dash you chose is a cold colour ...

I love classic British and German motorbikes. Black+Red+Chrome (or Silver+Red+Chrome) is a combination used in the 50s and 60s ...

Take yourself time to think about it!
Not everyone can have my taste ...

#16 ·
Okay; it only happened the first day ...
But when I came back from the supermarket, a man stood at my car and was impressed (surely having a bigger car).

I could have bought a Phaeton too ...
Polo, Golf or Passat would have been no problem at all ...
I drive the up! because I want to drive up! ...

You have surely seen the photo of my 17BHP, 20Nm, 70 mph vmax "Estrella" motorbike.
I don't ride a small, handy, economical motorbike - I ride Estrella. And it is the same with the up! ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.