Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my car for 3 weeks now. MPG varies between around 55 and 65.
Yesterday I was driving and glanced over to my Maps&More to see 71mpg!! Wow. I was super impressed. My partner was shocked too. Highest we'd ever seen it.

What's the best mpg you've had?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a TakeUp and I measure mpg using the amount of fuel put in and the mileage done. The last two fills gave 61.5mpg, and the 3 before that just under 60mpg. I am told mpg improves as the engine wears in although I have no idea how much. Also summer is better, the air being less dense, and the engine having to warm up less. Overall I am more than happy with the mpg, and in fact I am happy with the car as a whole.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have just picked up my Maps and More gadget this morning. I love gadgets and think I am going to really like this one. It is simple enough to operate. I managed to call my son using voice control. also tried out the sat-nav and that brought me home o.k. (I might forget the way someday I suppose). Had a quick look at the bit that tells you what gear you are/should be in etc. Obviously more to find out about it before I can use it with my eyes closed???It showed that I was getting 64 to the gallon at the speed I was driving. If that is true I will be happy with that. I suppose if I got on the motorway and cruised at about 55 mph I would get a higher mpg. I might try that sometime.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've just driven 200 miles to visit my mum, basically motor way all the way up, sat at 60 for most of it and all I managed was 59/60 mpg. Was expecting more! I have done 250 miles on only half a tank tho! We shall see on th way home tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Danielkg said:
So I've had my car for 3 weeks now. MPG varies between around 55 and 65.
Yesterday I was driving and glanced over to my Maps&More to see 71mpg!! Wow. I was super impressed. My partner was shocked too. Highest we'd ever seen it.

What's the best mpg you've had?
What no picture?

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got 64 the other day, but mainly mid 50's for me.
I appear to be good at gear shifting, but cruising not so, mainly because i'm city driving, so slowing down and speeding up all the time at lights and junctions.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Craig200588 said:
I've just driven 200 miles to visit my mum, basically motor way all the way up, sat at 60 for most of it and all I managed was 59/60 mpg. Was expecting more! I have done 250 miles on only half a tank tho! We shall see on th way home tomorrow
That is very good though, given that there are very few petrol cars that can equal or better that. My Ford Ka (old model) gave me about 47mpg on a good run, in summer. Also we might expect the engine to wear in a bit, and the mpg improve. Fingers crossed anyway. Also how many in the car? Each extra person is extra weight, so the mpg will be hit.

Anyway, here is my top tip. Cut out the mars bars and chips, your mpg will improve.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Leif said:
Craig200588 said:
That is very good though, given that there are very few petrol cars that can equal or better that. My Ford Ka (old model) gave me about 47mpg on a good run, in summer. Also we might expect the engine to wear in a bit, and the mpg improve. Fingers crossed anyway. Also how many in the car? Each extra person is extra weight, so the mpg will be hit.

Anyway, here is my top tip. Cut out the mars bars and chips, your mpg will improve.

Haha I really need to lay off the doughnuts! aye there was only me and one other person in the car! but he only weighs the same as a tooth pick!

·
Registered
48 Posts
A mere 69 mpg........in a BMT Move Up!......didn't believe it at first but do now after seeing all these posts. Sorry no pic.....you'll have to take my word for it !!

Nigel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow Daniel, 72 mpg is amazing! WhatCar magazine did a series of 'real world MPG' tests recently and worked out that the Up! only managed 47 MPG (!) You should write in and show them your picture.

I only managed 58 to 60 MPG, but I have to drive through town and motorway. I did managed 62 MPG once but it was only up for a few minutes...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Man88 said:
Wow Daniel, 72 mpg is amazing! WhatCar magazine did a series of 'real world MPG' tests recently and worked out that the Up! only managed 47 MPG (!) You should write in and show them your picture.
I have problems accepting their figures. I have always been able to get the official value without trying too hard. The Up is more of a challenge, as I am not yet there, I think it is a little optimistic. But I do get 60mpg which I think is fantastic. The WhatCar people must have heavy feet, or drive in unusually congested areas.

There are some tricks to saving fuel, most are obvious, but I'll post them anyway:

>> Keep your distance from the car in front. This reduces the need to suddenly brake in response to the car in front braking. It is also safer.

>> Keeping your distance from the car in front also makes it easier to see ahead, and plan manoeuvres, so as to make more rapid progress.

>> Look far ahead, to match your speed to the conditions and avoid unnecessary braking. So if there is congestion 100m ahead, you may as well gradually slow down to match your speed to the vehicles ahead.

>> Don't coast out of gear more than is necessary. It uses fuel as the engine idles. It is much better to remain in gear without depressing the accelerator pedal, as that uses little or no fuel. That said, do not use engine braking to slow down quickly as it strains the gears. Use the brakes, which is also good for the disks, as it removes rust, and prolongs life.

>> Don't accelerate rapidly, as that burns a lot of fuel. I believe gradual acceleration to cruising speed uses less fuel than rapid acceleration to cruising speed, but I have no proof.

>> Get into a low gear on approach to a roundabout or a junction. It makes it easier to safely accelerate into a gap between cars.

>> At lights with a long change time, turn off the engine. Apparently once it is off 7 seconds, you start saving, as restarting does use a little more fuel than normal.

>> Keep the revs low.

>> Turn off the air con. Apparently the radio and lights also use fuel, but who cares.

>> Makes friends with and marry thin people. Less baggage means more mpg.They are also cheaper to keep due to lower food consumption, although thin vegetarians may have increased susceptibility to flatulence. Having to keep the windows open will impact fuel economy. So avoid vegetarians.

I am sure others have more suggestions.

By the way, what is this mpg on the maps and more? Is it a time average, if so how long?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just arrived at work - 7mpg on my way (yep I have a pic - its not a good one - will add it when I'm home this evening)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Danielkg said:
Just arrived at work - 7mpg on my way (yep I have a pic - its not a good one - will add it when I'm home this evening)

Please tell me that's a typo and it should be 70mpg. If you're only getting 7mpg I'm cancelling my order immediately

1 - 20 of 43 Posts