956 Posts
Danielkg said:
Oh god - I meant 75!

Phew, saves me a phone call to the dealer then

·
Registered
142 Posts
Leif said:
What is this best mpg from maps and more? Is it instantaneous, or some sort of average? I am a humble TakeUp owner and hence I know nothing about M&M. I resort to a trusty sliderule and damp finger in the air.
Or you could fill your tank each time and note the mileage, then times the number of litres by 0.22, toconvert togallons, then divide mileage, same result

·
Registered
315 Posts
I hope all you people taking photo's of the gadget are not driving and phographing at the same time. Sounds slightly dangerous to me.

I like the driving tip about getting a stick insect for a partner though.

I'll get me coat
By the way I thought this was a sign from the Zodiak
"Pisces"? What's with this Ying Yang?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
idletony said:
Leif said:
What is this best mpg from maps and more? Is it instantaneous, or some sort of average? I am a humble TakeUp owner and hence I know nothing about M&M. I resort to a trusty sliderule and damp finger in the air.
Or you could fill your tank each time and note the mileage, then times the number of litres by 0.22, toconvert togallons, then divide mileage, same result
Yes, that is what I do, but I would still like to stick a damp finger in the air, if you don't mind.
Oh, and just in case you are a youngster, a slide rule is an old fashioned calculating engine, an early 'calculator' in modern jargon. I actually had my own and used it at school.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Man88 said:
Thanks Leif - I tried your advice thismorningand managed 65 MPG. Not sure if I would ever get 70 MPG though!
Cripes. That is very good. My best is 61.5mpg averaged over 450 miles. Who would ever have thought 10 years ago that a car with room for 4 people could get diesel like mpg?

One thing I think I did not mention is that there is a significant drop in mpg on going from 60 to 70mph, and a smaller one from 50 to 60mph. I don't mind doing 60mph on motorways, it is more relaxing, although I think on a long drive I'd find it hard.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello, more km`s on odometer I get, less consumption. Now I have around 3.000 on odo and average fuel consumption is 4.1 l/100km. On a highway (95km/h) i get 3.6 l/100km.

It`s like a driving on air

·
Registered
24 Posts
Over 850 miles up! has managed an average of 57.1 mpg. The run is mainly 4 miles so hardly time to get warm, quite hilly and a couple of miles at 60mph.

Certainly not to be sneezed at and I love the combination of the vehicle data with the sat nav warning me of speed limits in the backround.

The instant fuel consumption certainly can shock when you accelerate hard 11mpg is not good, mind you does not last long!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think these 'live' fuel consumption meters are a good thing. I've had them in my last three cars, and boy, they do get you thinking
and concentrating on driving smoothly. I have an energy meter in my house too, and it goes up to 3000 watts when I switch on my kettle! I make sure that I only boil enough for one cup

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well on some trip computers you can have an MPG reading that shows the mpg at that time,so ifyou are going downhill it will obviously show a high figure. I had a diesel Renault that would show 99mpg....

·
Registered
57 Posts
ive seen 70+ being mega economical, but it doesn,t last long !!. Seem to be averages 35 litres for 415-20 miles. The tank gauge seems to work in a funny way. It doesn,t move for ages and ages then starts to drop like a rev counter !!!!!!! loving the car though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Leif. That is the only way to calculate your average MPG. Then of course if you change your daily routine and suddenly all your driving is on motorways, providing you keep your speed down your average should get even better. I know that you already know this but there are some people who do not.

Keeping your petrol receipts for twelve months and then checking your total mileage against the total petrol usedfor the year, is another way of doing it. Also it keeps track of the petrol costs.

Using a pencil and paper to do the arithmetic instead of a calculator or a slide rule will pass away a bit of your spare time too. Some of us oldies never had either gadget to do our sums.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There was a question a few posts back.... M&M can display current mileage, but also has a car info screen which shows average consumption over time, and also mpg over time. :) I'm on 500+ miles per tank and I love it! :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
500+ miles to me sounds pretty good. It should take me down to my next re-union and back without worrying where the cheapest place to fill up is. Then againI suspect the M & M will tell me where all the petrol stations are. But will it tell me the cheapest?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts