Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of you have had your UP!s for some time now what are your best and worst experiences !The High UP! seems the model to go for ?
I plan topurchase one next year so any advice/opinions welcome

·
Registered
128 Posts
We got the High up! in white with the sport pack.......looks great! The wheels really set it off as do the blacked out rear and three quarter windows. Our only mistake/complaint was to not tick the upgrade in car sound system box. It was only £100 and like fools forgot it!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the High Up in white with sports pack! looks awesome! my only advice is to stay away from the cream interior. We have the cream seats and red dash, looks lovely ..... until you've spilt something on the seat like juice or chocolate and are left with questionable stains :(

·
Registered
587 Posts
Take up! with comfort pack and Map's and More.

+ Sharp to drive
+ Fuel economy overall is good
+ Spacious interior
+ Warms up quickly a real boon on cold mornings
+ Engine never really feels out of its depth even on a motorway
+ Cheap to run overall
- Standard fit speakers are awful
- Brakes are not the most powerful but adequate
- Rear parcel shelf that needs to bemanuallyopened and closed and stays up when opened.
- No boot light
- Electric windows have one button per side and no one press up or down feature.

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive got a up! Black, heated leatherette seats are beautiful option to have and the uprgraded sound pack, only bad thing i find is that my maps & more head unit plays about while using the bluetooth control, apart from that its a beast :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have extra speakers and the stereo is the worst part, by along way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We have a light blue high up with sunroof which I have found fantastic so far.Yes, some things are a little basic but once you get your head round them it's ok. Yes, I have left the parcel shelf up numerous times but luckily when the kids are in, it can be pushed down from the back seat without touching the back window.
Carry a small torch in the boot.
I find the standard radio fine, but then I've never been one for upgraded sound systems. (I've still got a tape player in my corrado).
I don't know if the Up is the best car available in its class, It's not the cheapest, I bought it because I wanted a small, cheap to run VW so I'm prepared to overlook small niggles to have the brand thatI wanted.
All in all you shouldn't be dissapointed as long you take it for what it is,i.e. not a high spec golf or a Rolls Royce, just a fun good looking city car.
I also find the driving style quite fun, just chilling, not racing and trying to beat the m.p.g reading on the M+M (best 58mpg so far).Once we're run in I might pick up the speed a bit but I'll still be chilling as I go.Good luck if you decide to buy one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

It seems that the UP! is ok

I want a small car that is economical and it is, I like the look of it a lot so that is a always a good start.
My commute to work is about 30 miles so it will earn its keep and although I am not a racing driver I want to be able to overtake lorries at 70-75mph when I am on the dual carriageways.
You get what you pay for, it seems to be kitted out ok and I can forgive the odd noise and rumble as long as it's reliable it might justbe the character of the little car and the 3 cylinder growl is quite pleasant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've only had my Move Up a couple of days, but I'm fairly sure of the things I like and dislike about the car already.

Engine note- Surprisingly fruity induction roar and exhaust noise. Being a 3-cylinder this is actually a good thing in the main. (although see Dislikes too!)
Chuckability- Grip and turn-in is good and this bodes well for when the tyres bed-in a bit more.
Damping - A real surprise this as good damping is generally expensive and therefore a rarity on cheapo cars like the Up.
Engine- Coming from a peaky but honest 54hp Fiat, I didn't expect the 59hp Up to be significantly more/less punchy, but even with less than 100 miles on the clock it's obvious there is a lot more torque to be had from it compared to the Panda.
Maps & More- Actually a pretty decent system, and well integrated with the in-dash head unit.

Dislikes
Engine noise- It's pretty tuneful, yes, but also pretty loud and sometimes you just want a bit of peace. I checked for an airbox/exhaustleak when I got mine!
Stereo- Just awful. I have standard system with Maps & More and am now regretting not at least trying the upgraded system.
Woeful de-misting performance - A VAG trait I fear,embarrassinglybad if you're 3 or 4 up.
Tinny doors- Yes, it's cheap, but it makes my previous Panda seem like an S-Class.
Maps & More- A little wobbly when fitted and I'm already getting fed up of mounting/unmounting the bloody thing. Also, surely they should supply a little pouch for the display and/or have a dedicated place to store it in the glovebox?
Coolant temperature - Or lack thereof, unless you invoke the M&M. Seems a strange omission from the standard dash.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's quite common not to show coolant temperature these days. My late 2009 Smart ForTwo didn't have it either. However, you do get coolant temperature if you opt for the sensor pack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AlanG said:
It's quite common not to show coolant temperature these days. My late 2009 Smart ForTwo didn't have it either. However, you do get coolant temperature if you opt for the sensor pack.

Yeah, I suppose cars are getting ever more reliable and the classic failure mode of 'head gasket/water pump/thermostat etc.' is probably less relevant today so manufacturers figure they can get away without one nowadays.

In most cars the temperature gauge is the last remaining indicator of any kind of issue with the engine, apart from a rake of often indecipherable warning lights. The manual is still peppered with comments like 'avoid urgent acceleration or high revs until the engine is warm', but I presume we're meant to gauge this by...what, the air coming out of the vents?! Not very handy on a summer's day...

I guess this isn't so much of a problem with a new,warrantedcar, but I for one would be slightly nervous being the owner of mine in 9 or 10 years after a 100,000 miles!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Few niggles on the Up! from my point of view:
- De-misting performance is poor

- Lack of insulation and sound proofing on rear arches

- No light on dash indicating headlights or sidelightsare on (only high beam)

- MPG not as good as stated (no shock there though)

Still, it has bags of character and is fun to drive and cheap to run, so it's not all bad!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Reference the dash lights for side lights/dipped beams etc, actually, the dash gets around that kind of cleverly I think. If the dials are visible - DRLs are on, then when it starts to get dark, the dial lights fade out, and will only come back on when you flick the side lights/dipped beam on. As for the difference between side/dipped, if you can't see the road anymore, go dipped! In theory though, the light switch is very visible, and very clear about what lights are on, a quick glance down sorts all that out.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I didn't realise the dial lighting worked like that. Does explain a posting a while back that complained that dial lighting was on when it was light and off when dark. The poster thought that it had been wired up the wrong way round and at first it does seem counter intuitive but give it some thought and it makes sense eventually!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, getting used to switching lights on and off again with the Up is a mild PITA. Italian cars have the right approach; just leave the lights on and they'll always come back on when you switch on the ignition, no warning buzzer required.

Between that and my C-Class which has automatic lights I've not had to turn lights on or off for months...until Saturday!

·
Registered
121 Posts
dr_jones said:
- Lack of insulation and sound proofing on rear arches

Yes, I noticed that driving though masses of puddles the other day.

Like the tinny doors it's a small thing, but one which has a disproportionate effect on perceived quality.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Best thingsThat rorty little engine, a cracking performer for its size.
The noise it makes on the over-run when you change up at high revs - something like 'mwoh'
The character, somehow the niggles and foibles give it some soul. If you want competent mediocrity get a Kia Picanto.
The fact that I can fit a 6' teenager in the back.

Worst thing
Forgetting to put the bloody parcel shelf down every time I go in the boot.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't think there is anything about it I don't love. It's full of character, it's fun. It's just great!
Fantastic little machine :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
One more thing I've found out that is a bit of annoyance; you can only pair a maximum of two phones with M&M. Most other cars allow 4, 6 or even more devices.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts