Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware of large puddles..... i hit one at 60kph and popped the exhaust heatshield and wasnt covered by warranty. Spent six weeks waiting for one to come from germany. Not happy

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I do normally try to avoid puddles in case they are disguising a pot hole waiting to trash my wheel. But i didn't realise that water alone can also be a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A puddle ? in Australia?
Here's me thinking you's have it sunny all the time over there all the time.

I cant remember a day in the last 20 years when I haven't seen a puddle

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I aquaplaned at 50MPH and popped the heat shield a few months ago. VW UK covered a new one on warranty when it was serviced. Just shows that there's no consistency in warranties if VW Australia won't do it surely it makes no odds to VW.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I always thought that warranties were designed to cover for defective workmanship and materials. Accidents are covered by motor insurance. I would have thought that Aquaplaning is at best an accident and at worst careless driving.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You should not take puddles at speed. The local garage had several cars in with damaged floor pans due to hitting water. Also the bow wave can flood the engine. And if the puddle is on one side, it will make the steering turn to that side. Take it slowly in a low gear so the revs are high. I once went slowly through a puddle only to have a 4x4 pass at speed, and swamp me in a massive bow wave, [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts